Author Topic: need help adjusting 2014 firewall  (Read 2969 times)

evita1

need help adjusting 2014 firewall
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »
I have a simple 2 pc network with a netgear router.  My pc has the printer attached.  Now that I have avast 2014 our pcs are blocked from seeing each other.   I turned on windows file and printer sharing in the firewall and added the IP addresses of both pcs in the friends area.  I can see my pc now under network as well as the router but that's it.  The firewall is set to private for a home network.  My hubby did the same to his pc and he can only see himself but not the printer nor my pc.

Avast never changed my settings to where my network was altered like this.  I KNOW this was working before we upgraded the pcs to 2014.    With all these settings in here, you'd think one would have to be a network admin to figure this out..help  :-[

We're using windows 7
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:04:45 AM by evita1 »

propheticus

Re: need help adjusting 2014 firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Only way to fix this is uninstalling the firewall component (via programs/features -> uninstall/change avast -> modify installation -> remove tick from firewall). Many people are reporting the same issue. For now the only reliable solution seem uninstalling and using windows' own firewall or another 3rd party's.
Let's hope they fix this soon

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
I had the same problem and I am a very advanced user. The solution I found is so simple I feel like an idiot.  :-\
On all affected machines leave the home group. Create a new home group and add all machines to the new group.
Problem solved.  8)

evita1

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
Good morning!

Oh I hope just adding a dang new group fixes it.  I had seen another post about doing a complete uninstall and reinstall but I already did since avast 8 stopped updating.  I'll check around the help on how to set  a new one up.

Thank you!

Well, hubby created a new homegroup on his pc but I cannot see it so I cannot join it.  I did leave my old homegroup.    The troublehsooter said if Avast firewall isn't MS certified it may not work with homegroup.    I don't know how to tell Avast to let homegroup work :(

To be clear,  I'm not getting the option to join hubby's homegroup.  I rebooted my pc just in case and I still cannot join.  When I left my homegroup, the only options I got was to create a homegroup.  I created one, hubby left his and he tired to join mine.  He's stuck too (just gets create homegroup and no join option)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:39:29 PM by evita1 »

evita1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »
Has anyone heard word if a fix will be out soon regarding the network blocking issue? I put in a support ticket but haven't heard anything back. :(

KaniSDragon

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
With Avast version 9.0.2006 the computer could access the internet but none of the other computers on the network could ping or do file sharing with that computer.  Repair and reboot didn't help.  I updated to Avast 9.0.2007 and so far all problems are resolved.  Go to Settings > Update > Program > Update.  I think they put this update option in a confusing area and it wasn't asking me if I wanted to update even though I'd set it to ask when new versions were available.