Author Topic: Outlook/Exchange Provider Causes OL2k3 Crash EVERY TIME In Less Than 10 Minutes!  (Read 8283 times)

azarc

This is getting to be REALLY annoying. I've had to disable the Outlook/Exchange provider because it is causing Outlook to crash EVERY ten minutes or within that interval.

It happens when I:
1. Create an email
2. Send an email
3. Delete an email (with the Reading Pane on)

I'm not sure if #3 depends on the Reading Pane or not... I got tired of testing endlessly.

Anyway, is there a patch for this? It's truly annoying to have to watch outlook reboot about 20 times an hour.

Outlook Add-ins:
1. avast!
2. Franklin Covey Plan Plus 3.0
3. MSN Desktop Search Toolbar

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What is the crash message? If there's the "Send to Microsoft" dialog, did you do it? (send)

azarc

There's no specific error message, and the newer "Send to Microsoft" message comes up every time. Yes, I constantly send it to Microsoft, and I've even filled out the subsequent survey twice.

If this continues I think I'm going to stop using this product...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
It's caused by the MSN Search. Uninstalling it will solve the problem..

We're currently looking into this, but unfortunately, it's really crashing inside the MSN Search code... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

azarc

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't want to uninstall MSN DS as it predated avast! and I need it... instead, I tried simply turning off the search when I've got Outlook open. Everything decides to work then, and whenever I've got to do a search I have to either exit OR NOT USE Outlook while I'm searching.

go figure.

Anyway, it would be great if you guys could figure out the issue.

If I get too tired of it... :(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Hi, do you think you could try the new version of MSN Desktop Search that has been just released? Does it solve the problem?

Thanks
Vlk

azarc

I'll give it a try in a few minutes... I'll report back before 12:00 PM GMT-5 today.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Thank you. As a matter of fact we are now able to simulate the problem as well (on one of our test machines) so we're testing it in parallel.

Thanks again
Vlk

azarc

Vik,

Please forgive my delay; got swamped in the morning and had deadlines looming after that.

Unfortunately, installing the newer version (from scratch; had to uninstall the old version) didn't work on my end. It still simply kills Outlook (2k3) apparently when the Indexer tries to get into my emails.

lstone

I am having the same problem. It did not occur until I upgraded to the latest version of the MSN Toolbar with tabbed browsing. It is really a pain. I would go back to the older version of the Toolbar, but it does not appear to be available.

I guess that I have no choice but to uninstall the MSN Toolbar until the problem is fixed. The other indexing toolbars do not index the My Documents folder because I am using folder redirection to store the files on my server.

I absolutely cannot do without anti-virus software so I guess the Toolbar goes for now. I really hate that. I use it scores of times every day.

Lee

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Hi,

sorry for the troubles. We're working with the guys at Microsoft to find a solution to this problem. So far it seems to be their fault (according to our preliminary analysis...).

Vlk

lstone

I am sure that it is Microsoft's problem. I never had a single problem until the tabbed version of the search bar was released.

Lee

mgarav

tried also localized "windows search" ( italian)
Still same error!
This error has been introduced with April release of MSN.

in the meantime Copernic goes well

bowie

Hi,

sorry for the troubles. We're working with the guys at Microsoft to find a solution to this problem. So far it seems to be their fault (according to our preliminary analysis...).

Vlk

Hi Guys, any news on this....?

Thanks for your time ;O)

radoun

Hello, what is the progress please?

It seems as it is not a general problem, as there are AV programs unaffected, like Norton AV. I haven't tested other, though.

Can't you Alwil guys advise?  ;)