Author Topic: Question to RejZoR  (Read 2711 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Question to RejZoR
« on: June 02, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
I was looking to see if included in AEC was a tweak to the ini file to add/remove

Log=20

in the [Mail Scanner] section. 

I did not see this included.

From time to time it is necessary to ask someone to create extra logging in the Internet Mail provider for diagnostics.  It would be so much easier to invite someone to use AEC than to explain about editing the ini file.  Some users are not aware of how to do such a thing.

Can I suggest it as an extra tweak?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Question to RejZoR
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:23:25 AM »
Hoping to get RejZoR'a attention.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:51:44 AM »
I don't think i'll impliment this to AEC yet. It's just not so videly used tweak as for example stop spinning "a" ball or hide update popups. But i could gather information for all logging options for all providers and add them to separate section.
But again it's not my top priority,so it can take some time to impliment it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 09:10:03 AM »
Let me confess my disappointment.

Spinning balls ... killing popups ... are merely cosmetic ... but as with all cosmetics ... adored by the masses.

Aiding diagnostics ... that (IMHO) might further the cause of the product and make it more widely usable  ... when time permits. 

I understand the wishes of one catering to a market.  The question of shall we make it work or pretty seems to have a clear answer.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:19:44 AM by alanrf »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 09:25:03 AM »
I leave that part to Alwil team. AEC does use basic logger for easier support (avast! Status Info with log dump feature),but i'm not gonna go into details of avast! logging.
Alwil team explains it to users when they have to enable it and with what kind of level of sensitivity.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »
But ... the wonderful nature of your product is that you avoid the problem of um .... less experienced users .... having to understand how to edit the avast.ini file.

One of my pet dislikes of Avast is that is if you want to advise a user to generate a full log of what avast is doing ... you need to tell them to edit an ini file.   Would you create a product like that?  How many users do we have to teach to edit an ini file ... does it make any sense? 

I was appealing to you after trying to help (another) user who felt incapable of finding and editing the avast4.ini file.   

I believe that the work you are doing is one of the better hopes of anyone in this forum trying to help other Avast users.  Without an effort like yours  how many more threads are going to sink into the great abyss of "not solved"?   

I shall be very sad if I appear ungrateful for the work you have done with AEC.  I hope you will not be deterred in your efforts by my belief that it can offer yet greater support to Avast users.

Alan