Author Topic: How Do I Use Access Anywhere Through A Hardware Firewall  (Read 3746 times)

SusaPhone

How Do I Use Access Anywhere Through A Hardware Firewall
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:26:22 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to use Access Anywhere through a hardware firewall?  If so, how are things set up so that Access Anywhere can be used to access a host behind a hardware firewall?  It does not work currently. 

The only two software firewalls I have up are Avast Firewall and Windows Firewall.

I cannot access it even with the Windows Firewall turned off.

I either get a window indicating it's trying to connect to the host that stays up forever, or I get an error - "Connection has failed; error code 0."

Turning off the hardware firewall is not a possibility.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:30:36 AM by SusaPhone »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: How Do I Use Access Anywhere Through A Hardware Firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »
What version of Avast! do you have installed?  Have you tried your browser without having AOS enabled in it?  Is your Avast! firewall connection set to Private or Public?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

SusaPhone

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
I have the latest version of Avast (2014) version 2008.  What is AOS?  Also, I don't think access anywhere uses the browser.  How do I set my avast firewall connection to public?

thank you.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »
AOS = Avast Online Security - this is a browser extension / add-on for most common browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.).  This should have been automatically installed along with the latest Avast! version (for IE and FireFox; for Chrome, a web site should have opened after the installation reboot and asked you to install the add-on).

To change the firewall connection type, go to Settings > Active Protection > Firewall > Network Profiles and select the drop down box (Profiles - Public / Private).  Also (if you are changing from a Private to a Public) you want to uncheck the Friends setting.

How did you connect to the AccessAnywhere service before using Avast?
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

SusaPhone

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
I have never used it before.  I am testing it to see if I can use it or not.

I will try your recommendations later today to see if they work.

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:27:32 AM by SusaPhone »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
Is this the same service provided by this company( http://www.accessanywhere.net/ms/index.html ) ?  If so, then you do access this via a web browser by means of a login web page.  If you know that the user name / password combination is correct for the site you are trying to access, then you may want to try and remove Avast! and try to connect that way.  This will ensure that your ISP / router is not an issue first (the connection seems to use SSL with a dedicated internal loopback (127.0.0.2)).

Edit:  Sorry about this; I thought you were talking about a separate VPN service.  If you are talking about the AccessAnywhere in the Tools menu on Avast! then the service must be first set up through Avast! Premier as that is the only machine.  Details of what is needed and how to do this is in the Help file (Help > Support > Program Help > Content > Tools > AccessAnywhere ).  You will have to have a My Avast account set up for each machine (or tied to one account if they are both your machines) but it seems that the one you want to control remotely has to have Avast! Premier installed on it. 

If you are getting the "Connection has failed; error code 0" then it is because the account information you entered links to an account that does not have Avast! Premier installed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:20:45 AM by dbrisendine »

SusaPhone

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
it might be.  I might look into it.  thanks for the update.

SusaPhone

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
It appears that changing the firewall from private to public allowed me to access the host machine.  Not sure why this worked.

Anyways, Access Anywhere is a little slow.  Very Basic.  Does not allow the user to blank the screen, lock the keyboard, or change the number of colors that are sent to the host.  There does not appear to be anyway to speed it up.  Probably not really usable in an office situation.

Thank you.