Author Topic: Avast! Web Shield suddenly blocking formerly accepted sites  (Read 7415 times)

DKBingham

Avast! Web Shield suddenly blocking formerly accepted sites
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
For the last several days, Avast has been blocking several websites that previously were allowed, even though I hadn't touched the settings. At first, I thought it was a new spyware blocker that I had downloaded, so I removed it, and it seemed to work for a few hours. Then without warning or change in the settings, it stopped working again.

I suspect that it might be the recent update that had been installed.

Thoughts?

olddog

Re: Avast! Web Shield suddenly blocking formerly accepted sites
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
For the last several days, Avast has been blocking several websites that previously were allowed

If you had detailed which sites, others could have checked whether their installations were also blocking them, or not as the case may be.

DKBingham

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
I can't remember all, but I tested some this morning: Accuweather.com desktop; Netflix; Upworthy.com; eBay, my banking sites, and pretty much any off-site link from Facebook, Google Search, Google News, etc.

Stopping the Web Shield resolves the issue.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:37:38 PM by DKBingham »

hbang

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »
yes add me to the list of the blocked user .
Cant navigate with Avast on
win 8.1 updated
no firewall
no security software
not a newbie
no pop ups , no nada
just keep looking for the site forever, as soon as i turn off avast shield, or disable all, bam am on

IE-CHROME-FIREFOX all same results
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:43:11 PM by hbang »

bikemanAMD

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
Unable to access routers setup page here, no matter what, suppose could be router needing restart, but i'm not sure on that part yet.   Tried on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit Desktop, and XP Laptop so far, nothing.

DKBingham

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »
I don't have a router - direct connect to cable modem. All browsers affected here, too.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
yes add me to the list of the blocked user .
Cant navigate with Avast on
win 8.1 updated
no firewall
no security software
not a newbie
no pop ups , no nada
just keep looking for the site forever, as soon as i turn off avast shield, or disable all, bam am on

IE-CHROME-FIREFOX all same results
You really should have started your own thread.
That said, try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

hbang

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
Thanks Paranoid, just in case you missed the part where I said I am not a newbie.
We need some more effective than repair, reboot, uninstall, reboot and such
Prob is affecting a bunch of us from what I gather some of us did a fresh install, some upgraded, some with router , some with ethernet...so it is a wide spread prob
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:22:45 PM by hbang »

olddog

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
...I tested some this morning: Accuweather.com desktop; Netflix; Upworthy.com..

I tried:-
http://accuweather.com
http://www.netflix.com
http://www.upworthy.com

They all access OK here both with IE10 and Firefox 25.0 with webshield enabled (default webshield settings). All avast browser add ons (AOS) enabled.  Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, Avast 2014.9.0.2008 VD 131112-1

I'm don't know what browser you are using, but if it's IE10 or IE11 you could perhaps check whether unticking Tools->Options->Advanced->Security->Enable Enhanced Protected mode makes any difference.

DKBingham

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:21:49 AM »
Sorry for not being specific here:

Win Vista Home (don't ask)

Browsers:
Chrome
Firefox Safari
(I didn't try IE because I don't use it).

It's not the settings in the browsers - this is a *sudden* and unexpected behavior, without input or execution on my part. Period. I did not change *any* settings; there have been *no* system/program updates* - except for Avast. The only software I added (Super Spyware Blocker - which was installed two weeks before the Avast update) has been deep uninstalled (registry entries/modifications removed).

No matter what I do, I cannot run Avast as I have before without it blocking sites. The *only* way I can get access to those sites is to disable the Web Shield.

Thanks for any help.

olddog

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:33:46 AM »

.. I did not change *any* settings; there have been *no* system/program updates* - except for Avast. The only software I added (Super Spyware Blocker - which was installed two weeks before the Avast update) has been deep uninstalled (registry entries/modifications removed).

No matter what I do, I cannot run Avast as I have before without it blocking sites. The *only* way I can get access to those sites is to disable the Web Shield.

I wonder did you let Avast update itself, or whether you manually installed the new version over the top of the old. Some times that works but there is more than adequate testimony in the forum (and I've had first hand experience) that often it doesn't.
All I can suggest is that you try:

1. Download a new copy of the current version
2. Uninstall the old version in safe mode using Avastclear.exe
3. In normal mode do a clean up using RejZoR's Avast Cleanup Tool 1.3
4. Install the new copy of the current version.