Author Topic: Too many popups  (Read 5197 times)

Duchess44

Too many popups
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Is there any way to stop all the little popups asking me to upgrade or telling me about some software update, etc that I already know about and don't need?  It's kind of annoying.  Of course, it is the free version so I am guessing this whole thing (which was not there before) is now some new way to try to get people to upgrade so they won't have to see all the popups?  If so I guess it's time to find a new free antivirus.

Thanks

Rohugh

Re: Too many popups
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »
So you are saying that you want one of the best free antivirus programs but don't want a little inconvenience?  Take the plunge and spend a little money, support Avast! and you won't see them.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
You may, if you want, stop all pop-ups. GUI>Settings>General>scroll down to "silent/gaming mode">tick the box.
You can also limit the duration of each pop-up GUI>Settings>Appearance>scroll down to "pop-up duration">adjust as desired.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
Is there any way to stop all the little popups asking me to upgrade or telling me about some software update, etc that I already know about and don't need?  It's kind of annoying.  Of course, it is the free version so I am guessing this whole thing (which was not there before) is now some new way to try to get people to upgrade so they won't have to see all the popups?  If so I guess it's time to find a new free antivirus.

Thanks

My guess is that you don't have the latest avast version 9.0.2008 as this resolves this little issue.

The popups that you are seeing (small toaster style popup on the bottom right of the screen) are avast Tips: ,etc. ?

If so.
-- Auto Update Notifications are screwed up.
The popup is actually meant to be the auto update notification (check your avastUI > Settings > Update and you will see that an auto update has just taken place. It appears that these tips/ad popups are piggybacked onto the auto update notification popup and this looks like it messes up the display and sound for the auto update notifications.

If you browse the forums you will see several topics relating to a known bug about updates.
1. no auto update notification popup (commonly displays an avast! tip - FB Privacy, instead).
2. no audio voice over for the auto update.
3. the popup delay timings don't appear to work either.
These tips popups have in the past been piggybacked with the auto update update notification, so the only way to get rid of them would be to disable the auto update notification, which if you want the update notification (when it works correctly) would remove everything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Duchess44

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Ok yea I didn't have the latest program version.  Updated and will watch to see if this fixes this problem.  Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Duchess44

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
So you are saying that you want one of the best free antivirus programs but don't want a little inconvenience?  Take the plunge and spend a little money, support Avast! and you won't see them.

No, I am saying that this "little inconvenience" never happened before and am curious if it is a) supposed to happen and b) whether in order to make it stop or at least have fewer popups if I have to upgrade.  If so I will just try to find a free AV that is almost as good.  Sometimes it bugs me how people get so defensive.  I totally understand your need to "back up" Avast.  They are pretty awesome.  Just wish I had the money to be able to pay for the full premium version (yea I realize the "Pro" version is only $20.  Still don't have it) then of course I would get it.  Even though I really don't need most of the other apps that the pro version gives you.  I just need the antivirus.  Already have a firewall, etc.  Nice that you do.  I am happy for you ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:56:14 PM by Duchess44 »

MudPuddles

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
Hi guys, sorry to revive this thread but I am having this problem (too-frequent advertising / news / tips pop-ups, no sound on update, timings not working), with the latest version of avast! free (9.0.2008) and I wanted to ask DavidR to clarify something:

The popups that you are seeing (small toaster style popup on the bottom right of the screen) are avast Tips: ,etc. ?

If so.
-- Auto Update Notifications are screwed up.
The popup is actually meant to be the auto update notification (check your avastUI > Settings > Update and you will see that an auto update has just taken place. It appears that these tips/ad popups are piggybacked onto the auto update notification popup and this looks like it messes up the display and sound for the auto update notifications.

If you browse the forums you will see several topics relating to a known bug about updates.
1. no auto update notification popup (commonly displays an avast! tip - FB Privacy, instead).
2. no audio voice over for the auto update.
3. the popup delay timings don't appear to work either.
These tips popups have in the past been piggybacked with the auto update update notification, so the only way to get rid of them would be to disable the auto update notification, which if you want the update notification (when it works correctly) would remove everything.

Is there normally supposed to be a way to disable the tips / news / have a nice day popups without having to disable the virus database update popups? I don't see an option to disable the annoying ones, and I really like the update popups (which I don't have, though I should have them, since I haven't disabled them, and I want them...!)  Also, if it is a bug issue, is there any info on whether avast! will be fixing it in a future update?

Thanks,
MP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
This essentially isn't tips and news issue, it is the screwed up auto update notifications throwing up tips/ads.

As I have said since these are piggybacked to the auto update then the only way to stop it is to stop the update notifications.

Jack 1000

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
My take is that I have a few comments and questions,

Coming back to Avast because of MSE discontinuance on Windows XP I like the smaller toaster pop-ups compared to previous versions of Avast.  Remember how big the pop-up notices once were?  They used to be about three times the size they are now.  The smaller version keeps users aware and informed, I like that.

Today, on the last "Show Last Pop-up Message" Avast prompted me to take a survey.  I didn't.  Several hours later the "Show Last Pop Up Message" displayed nothing, so I don't know how long the messages are in the query with Avast Free 2014.  My question is, am I also getting a definitions update at the time that those survey messages or monthly reports show up in the notifications?

I have streaming updates turned on, which is nice, so even if I don't get the toaster pop-up, I am still protected with the streaming updates.  I like how Avast tells you what's going on with the notices.

How often does the new software updater check for updates?  I am on Windows XP, but let's say that someone is on Windows 7 and they have IE 10 and for whatever reason they don't want IE 11.  How often would software update nag the user to update to IE version 11?  Does the update "Keeping your computer updated is critical" pop-up message appear, when normally a definitions update would be in it's place if users didn't have IE 11 in this example?

Finally, what is the roll-out time for the pop-up notification for when a new version of Avast is available and how often will this pop-up be seen if say a user wants to wait a week or two before installing a new Avast version just to make sure the bugs are worked out?  Would users get the "New version of Avast is available" in place of a definitions pop-up notice, or would they get two separate notices, one toaster pop-up for the program update notice and another for a definitions update notice?

Jack