Author Topic: http://search.yahoo.com/?type=714647&fr=spigot-yhp-ch how do I get rid of this?  (Read 9630 times)

Sweettxchick

My laptop all of a sudden defaults to yahoo search bar as my homepage instead of google chrome homepage. It shows spigot in the name and after some research I've learned this is some sort of virus. How do I get rid of it? this is what it shows as my homepage. http://search.yahoo.com/?type=714647&fr=spigot-yhp-ch

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Hi,

Let's check that.
Please download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/dds/dl/104/

Double click to run the tool, click the Start button.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
         1. DDS.txt
         2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop. DDS.txt and Attach.txt attach back to topic.

Sweettxchick

here is the dds and attach txt

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

You have been used AdwCleaner. May I see related log please?

Please download zoek.zip () from here or here and save it to your Desktop.
Unpack the archive...
  • Close any open browsers
  • Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program. (If necessary)
    If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.

• Double click on zoek.exe to run the tool .
    Please wait while the tool does not start...

• Copy the text present inside the code box below and paste it into the large window in the zoek tool:
Code: [Select]
createsrpoint;
{3E7C8B5A-96AB-438F-BF9B-782400655440};c
C:\windows\SysWow64\sho92E1.tmp;f
StandardSearch;
installer-list;
installedprogs;
uninstall-list;
  • Click on button.
    Please wait until a logreport will open (this can be after reboot)

• Save notepad to your Desktop and attach here zoek-results.log
    Note: It will also create a log in the C:\ directory named "zoek-results.log"

Sweettxchick

Heres the txt files you wanted. I think I fixed it by going to google chrome settings, clicking on the open specific set of pages and deleting the link, seems to be working well now but I don't want any virus hiding around.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I think I fixed it by going to google chrome settings, clicking on the open specific set of pages and deleting the link, seems to be working well now but I don't want any virus hiding around.

Aye, as I can't find nothing problematic in logs.  :)
Either way, we shall use Zoek's AutoClean mode when we are here. Zoek will in additionly check your system on malware, adware and it will clean up temp&junk files.

=> Re-run zoek.exe, click on Options > check box for AutoClean options.
Now press button and wait for zoek to finish his cleaning.

Post here fresh created Zoek log and tell me how's your computer running now?

Offline zimm

I'm wondering if this zoek.z worked.  I just got hit with the yahoo search bar virus and googled for a fix.  As recommended I installed  Spybot which I don't like.  It did get rid of the yahoo virus but it also screwed up my yahoo home page which I can live with since I only pass through it to get to the finance page.
I was infected immediately after trying the yahoo search bar on their web page.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi zimm,

If avast's browser clean up tool doesn't fix this then follow this topic for running & posting Malwarebytes, OTL and aswMBR logs.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Open new topic for yourself and someone will help you.

userld

I have the same problem. Updated Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit on my new Acer LapTop and my new Dell XPS Desktop. Both Explorer and Chrome have been hijacked by this Yahoo Spigot deal. I have tried EVERYTHING from Malware remover, to deleting all YaHoo references in registry, to refreshing computers, to changing my Windows Profile and NOTHING works. Browsers still default to YaHoo. only browser seems to work is Firefox, but they also have YaHoo version on their site so I stayed away from that one. Dell was aware of the problem and spent 2 hours trying to fix with no luck. I have also tried uninstalling Chrome, but there is no way to try that with Explorer. Please someone help and not get too technical.. I am trying Spyhunter 4 now. It is scanning for free, but I think it asks you to purchase program if you want it to fix the problem.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have the same problem. Updated Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit on my new Acer LapTop and my new Dell XPS Desktop. Both Explorer and Chrome have been hijacked by this Yahoo Spigot deal. I have tried EVERYTHING from Malware remover, to deleting all YaHoo references in registry, to refreshing computers, to changing my Windows Profile and NOTHING works. Browsers still default to YaHoo. only browser seems to work is Firefox, but they also have YaHoo version on their site so I stayed away from that one. Dell was aware of the problem and spent 2 hours trying to fix with no luck. I have also tried uninstalling Chrome, but there is no way to try that with Explorer. Please someone help and not get too technical.. I am trying Spyhunter 4 now. It is scanning for free, but I think it asks you to purchase program if you want it to fix the problem.
for help, start your own topic....

in that topic attach the requested logs (not copy and paste)   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
run in order listed  Malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR