Author Topic: MacBook Pro freezes (because of Maverick?)  (Read 5922 times)

Wisi

MacBook Pro freezes (because of Maverick?)
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »
Hi there

My MacBook freezes completely after having started a full scan on the internal disk. I have to switch it off via the power button.

Avast 8.0 (40005) runs for about 4 hours and then suddenly freezes. I can see my mouse cursor moving, but nothing else works. The clock stops refreshing. Avast reports an infected file in the BOOTCAMP partition, but thats not true. It is an old Windows Device Driver. I tried to force avast to omit BOOTCAMP but it didn't work. Could that be the problem? Parallels was not running during the scan.

The internal disk is OK. I checked it with the Apple Disk Utility.

Avast shows a completely empty report after the reboot. Maybe you should flush every line in your reports?

What could be the problem?
1. Maverick?
2. SSD?
3. BOOTCAMP?

Here is my setup:
MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011)
CPU:  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software: OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Disk: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB

Regards,
Eddy

Hellopeople

Re: MacBook Pro freezes (because of Maverick?)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:09:04 AM »
How much GB do you have free?

Cheers,
Hello

Offline FallingRock

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:35:46 AM »
Wisi, and Hellopeople,

This looks a lot like a problem that my Avast! Free has been seeing, dozens of times, for 8 months or more now, while I am still running OS X Lion v10.7.5 on my Mac Mini.  FYI - I have 203.99 GB available on the 499.25 GB system partition in the internal HDD.  Whenever I set Avast! 8.0 (or, 7.0, for that matter, with each of its several updates through the months) to run a Full System scan, if i watch the scan starting and running through more than 100,000 files/items and finding several Warning items, if I then leave the Mac scanning overnight and return in the morning, the Avast scanner has stopped, and the results are blank with no report nor any log, no mention of the numerous Warnings that I had observed prior to leaving the Mac running. The Mac had gone into a kind of standby mode with a screensaver running [the Computername screensaver,  not the "Cosmos" screensaver that I had selected in the Desktop & Screensaver Preferences]. despite the fact that I have disabled the screensaver in the Desktop & Screensaver Preferences with "Never" for timing, and I have set the Computer Sleep and Display Sleep sliders to "Never" in the Energy Saver Preferences with none of the checkboxes there having checkmarks, and have deselected stopping the hard drive, and have disabled the Time Machine and Excluded the Time Machine from the Full System scan, and unplugged its USB cable from my Mac mini.

The only way I can complete a Full scan is to stay up with it to completion more than 4 hours later, and keep reminding the Mac to stay alive, all the way along. I think that is not desirable.

What was your resolution of this problem, please?

Hellopeople

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:16:51 AM »
I have never had this problem before, so I can't give an answer, but you told us that you had dozens of files, so I might recommend deleting junk files from your Mac with a cleaning utility, such as CleanMyMac 2 (paid license) or CCleaner (free).

pteplitz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »
I have the same issue. I installed Avast yesterday after having some email problems and have tried to run several system scans but the last one froze after 4 hrs 0 min 58 sec while scanning the Bootcamp partition. I had initiated a custom scan of the Mac partition, but Avast continued on the Bootcamp part too.

I am currently running a scan of my home folder to clear out a couple of the infections that have been found but I'm not sure how to clear out the couple of Trojans found in the invisible Mac .Spotlight folder. Any suggestions about how to clean individual sections?

This is a Macbook Pro 15-inch, late 2011, running Mac OS 10.7.5. My Mac partition is 377 GB with 235 GB available. My Bootcamp partition is 122 GB with just 12.5 GB available. I also have Dropbox on both but it looks like that's been clean on both. I have a purchased version of Vipre installed on the PC side. Could that be conflicting?

Thanks for any help.

Offline FallingRock

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:41 AM »
Thanks for the details. Yours is acting a lot like mine. My Avast! just updated the program to v8.0 (40527), it was v8.0 (40005) for the last few months.
One idea I tried, maybe it would help you, was to disable the Time Machine from running its automatic backups while running my Avast! Full scan. And, of course, add Time machine in Avast's Exclusions, or it will probably  need to run for days and days.
FYI - My scans, the few times I have been successful in running a Full scan, have also been taking about 4hrs + a few minutes.

And another thing, you mentioned that you set it for a Custom Scan, to keep it on your system partition. That's OK, but it didn't work, you said. Better also list the other Partition in the Exclusions list, in Avast!Preferences. I did, and it cut the scan time down to the 4 hrs + a few minutes. 

If you can figure out why the stupid thing stalls every night, please advise.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:05:04 AM by FallingRock »