Author Topic: Google Analytics code in Avast GUI?  (Read 28868 times)

cooby

Re: Google Analytics code in Avast GUI?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
I just followed up this thing a little through some old logs and the current one.
Not that it bothers me.
It seems to occur within seconds after definitions update. I GUESS that it is linked to the slideup informing that the update occurred. The slideup usually contains suggestions to install something else, and that could be where google analytics comes into play, where avast simply wants to know what we select or don't.
The other log that I looked at is Setup.log - that's where I get the timing from.

cooby

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Confirming my earlier observations and guesses, I just caught it in action, first occurence today - see the connection I see between updating and analytics in these log extracts

Tetsuo

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
As far as I could have understood looking at my system, the activity seemed not related exclusively to the update process. Hopefully, someone from Avast will join the conversation soon.

seeker15

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »
As far as I could have understood looking at my system, the activity seemed not related exclusively to the update process. Hopefully, someone from Avast will join the conversation soon.

There is no question of avast joining the discussion. An avast moderator had already cleared why google analytics are embedded in the GUI.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126470.msg950033#msg950033

So, if you don't want such unnecessary connections, you can block the program through firewall. There is no harm in it except impacting two functionality as far as I know. 1. Global Stats, 2. IP tracing (maybe)

Tetsuo

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
The "Avast person" you mentioned was Vlk. At that time he wrote:

"Still, if you are uncomfortable sharing this data with us (i.e. you don't want, for any reason, us to see how you navigate through the Avast UI), there's ways to suppress this feature. Let me know if you need more details".

seeker15

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
So, you want to know how to suppress it?

Tetsuo

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
This is the Avast support forum. I'd like to receive some official directions and information from the Avast Team about the tracking module present in their security software.

Tetsuo

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
Besides this thread, ten days ago I submitted a Ticket to the Avast! support, but I've received no reply.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:59:53 PM by Tetsuo »

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Since that topic is from June and relates to avast 8, there is no confirmation that avast 9 does also.

You can see the traffic looking at Statics/Your Stats for a while.
Or better, you can use HostsServer's log feature (abelhadigital.com).

Sorry the traffic in the Statistics isn't detailed enough to tell the origin of the request (which is being checked by the web shield). I honestly don't know if the avastui traffic would be being redirected through the web shield.

Unfortunately I have never used HostsServer, so I can't say or check.

But as I have said the UI really needs all the help it can get (too many levels and not intuitive) on how users navigate it.

Sorry DavidR, But I have conclusive proof in the form of a screen cap where Comodo shows that avast emergency update is trying to access google with no internet browser running what-so-ever.  It does this during bootup!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
There is absolutely nowhere I mention anything about comodo or other sources, simply that the avast statistics have insufficient information to determine what made the connection if it is being routed through the web shield. It might possibly give more information in the AIS firewall logs (or other such sources) , but the avast statistics are sadly lacking in detailed information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
There is absolutely nowhere I mention anything about comodo or other sources, simply that the avast statistics have insufficient information to determine what made the connection if it is being routed through the web shield. It might possibly give more information in the AIS firewall logs (or other such sources) , but the avast statistics are sadly lacking in detailed information.

It doesn't matter what source is more reliable than another, just the fact that it's true!

ram1220

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
 Maybe this is why Avast holds my computer hostage for a few minutes after every reboot. It has done this every version after version 4. I have tried everything but I simply can not do anything with my computer for 2 to 3 minutes until Avast releases it.
  So yes I would like instructions on how to disable analytics. please.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
 ??? ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »

It doesn't matter what source is more reliable than another, just the fact that it's true!

I'm not arguing if it is true or not, just that those looking in the avast statistics are looking in the wrong place as the information isn't detailed enough.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »
??? ???

Yes, but that doesn't give the originator, browse the web and you are going to get hundreds of scans by the web shield as all page requests in the browser get routed through the localhost proxy. But it doesn't say what originated the connection.

Which is the very thing I have been banging on about in this topic, the avast statistics are sadly lacking in detail.