Author Topic: BSOD related to Avast?  (Read 7032 times)

pidao

BSOD related to Avast?
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
I have been having blue screens. I was wondering, can Avast be the cause of those blue screens? I will use 360 Internet Security Protection for now until I am certain Avast is not causing those bsods. But, I would like to know if other people have been having bsods recently.

I have not changed anything at all except for upgrading to Avast 9 (to my HUGE regret).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: BSOD related to Avast?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »
No blue screens here, did you thoroughly remove all remnants of earlier version of avast or other AV's with the vendors removal tool ? you did mention yesterday that you keep an extra AV installed for secondary scanning and as I instructed this can cause issues and no other AV should be installed with Avast even if it is disabled.

pidao

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
I've had both for a VERY long time together. I doubt this is the culprit.

Avast removal tool eh? I will remove Avast right now and run the tool you speak of. I believe it may be a driver which is newly loaded with Avast (perhaps?) Would the DeepScan thing (or whatever they call it) be loading said new driver?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »
I've had both for a VERY long time together. I doubt this is the culprit.
You have probably just been lucky so far :-\ Deep Screen is the new sandbox technology, are you installing any new software when the BSOD occurred ?I've not seen Deep Screen cause BSOD's though.

It might help if you post the details of your system and what this mystery AV you have installed is .

pidao

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
I use 360 Internet Security 2013 by Qihoo. It has 450+ million users worldwide.

I highly doubt that having 360 running alongside it (w/ real time detection off) impacted it, as a Web Developer I'm always online. I would have felt something a long time ago.

I believe that Avast 9 itself has been causing troubles. Potentially the Deep Screen technology. I tried installing Avast 8.1, but since I inserted my license it upgrade to version 9. Not happy about that :/

Prior to that, I had to clean install Windows 7, since Avast 9 screwed up my drivers (it damaged my keyboard drivers). Not happy about that. After running the awclear or whatever the program is called :/

herolegend

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:17:43 AM »
I got an update from comodo then on reboot my laptop Bad pool header blue screen of death came up and  I started googling it found this link http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/297174-bsod-after-comodo-firewall-update-system_service_exception.html  maybe related to Avast? So I have same issue as this user maybe for windows 7 home, 64bit laptop.

pidao

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »
Yup. In fact Comodo used to be bad, but it isn't anymore. I've been using Comodo Antivirus + Firewall on my Laptop. As for my PC, Avast. I know that either older OR newer versions have the possibility of screwing up a PC. "Old" Comodo did that with Windows XP, and "modern" Avast 9 is doing that on Windows 7 (I have Ultimate).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »
I've beta tested 360 Safe and there are multiple low level drivers running on that when disabled as you would expect with triple engines, most of the drivers don't remove when uninstalled either like the Zang Feng driver and the exception placed in the windows firewall has caused some problems with net connectivity on some systems and also needs manual removal after uninstalling 360.

It definitely shouldn't be on the same system with avast that's for sure :)

pidao

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
Well, it shouldn't be with Avast 9. I am highly thinking of removing it in fact (Avast 9), since it's total and utter crap. For now, I will leave ONLY because I have a license with them. After that, I'm ditching it and using FREE version 8, not 9, 8! F*** version 9, it's a total piece of crap. I hate it so much. And the GUI, you HAVE to be kidding me, it's both ugly, not user friendly and just bad. And that little stupid icon at the bottom turning blue, yellow, blue, yellow. WTF? That's so freaking annoying.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
It's crap for you because you refuse to remove the other AV you have installed, blaming avast for all your problems when you fail to follow well known guidelines about not having two AV's on the same system, as a web developer you should know this basic advice :o you should also know that you can hide the avast ball in the taskbar.

pidao

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
Having two AV's is fine, as long as they are not conflicting. Which they are not. Avast 8 was good, but ever since I installed Avast 9 I have had BSOD's, even the drivers for the keyboard were damaged after running avastclear. So, yes, I do blame Avast. How could I not? The signs are there. Before the update, never had any problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »
Sorry but resident AVs load low level drivers so that they can do their task of intercepting calls to files so that they can be scanned before being allowed to be run. These drivers can clash in the same way as dogs fighting over one bone.

The fact that you haven't had problems in the past is a happy coincidence.

Since avast 9 is a major upgrade things have changed so conflict is a possibility rather than the fact that you didn't have problems with two AVs installed...

If you aren't prepared to even entertain that possibility and remove the other AV to test the theory, then there isn't a great deal more that anyone can suggest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pidao

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »
In other words, you agree with me that Upgrading to Avast 9 is in fact an actual Downgrade? An AV is not suppose conflict with your other programs because of a simple upgrade. No sir! If it does that, then the AV team has done a poor job!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
No I clearly don't agree. All I'm stating is that new things that may possibly conflict are because you have two resident AVs installed.

You aren't prepared to even countenance that the problem could be conflict between your having two resident AVs installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pidao

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
-_- I know it's because of Avast 9. You don't understand what I'm saying. The conflict arises BECAUSE of Avast 9's conflicting incompatibility. A good AV should not become conflictual upon an upgrade.