Author Topic: Avast Detects Itself as Rootkit?  (Read 1170 times)

paddlewand

Avast Detects Itself as Rootkit?
« on: November 14, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
Hi,

I have windows 8.1 pro (woe is me ...) and Avast Internet Security (Current...)

This is the Third time that this 'notification' has appeared in the picture.
The first time I played the good little minion and let Avast delete it....
When I restarted it did a scan and nothing else was detected.
When the computer re-started after the scan I could no longer connect to the internet.
I had to hunt around for a bit to find the error message in the device manager that said there was a problem with the Avast Firewall Driver attached to the network card.
Being not inclined to fuss with it at that point I completely removed Avast and re-installed it.

Voila Internet Connection... just to be sure I downloaded and ran Super AntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.. and got nothing but cookies.

A couple of re-boots later got the same warning, exactly the same as before. I looked in the registry to see if there was any clues, and saw that it may have been part of avast, so I did the dumb thing and told it to ignore it

This time I decide to have a look around and see what the problem was, and there was a fair few errors, about the virus chest and not being able to start, and the firewall having problems of some sort which makes me believe that the warning I'm seeing is only the last in the line of problems.

I can't really afford to mess too much with this comp at the moment as I have a lot of work due, if anyone has ideas that would be great.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast Detects Itself as Rootkit?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi that is a hidden service alert, a part of Avast protecting itself.  Did you tick don't tell again on this ?

How is the computer behaving otherwise 

paddlewand

Re: Avast Detects Itself as Rootkit?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »
Hello,

Yes I had ticked ignore the second time that the message came up when i thought it was a part of avast, but as before a couple of re-boots later that message came up again.

The computer itself is running well (as far as i can tell).  I am running a lot of virtual machines on this computer and its not slow and there are no odd things happening that I can detect,

Cheers