Author Topic: Avast 4 causes Kazaa to crash  (Read 6644 times)

mvanderlinden

Avast 4 causes Kazaa to crash
« on: March 10, 2003, 08:32:51 PM »
When running Avast 4.0.172 internet mail scanner with heuristic sensitivity set to high, my Kazaa Lite version 2.10 with K++ version 2.0.3 causes a blue screen under windows 98. Resetting the heuristic sensitivity stops the crash.

Please note this issue for the next version of aVast!

By the way, avast! The best of the best! ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast 4 causes Kazaa to crash
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 05:39:35 PM »
Unfortunately, I have to confirm this incompatibility (only applies to Windows 9x).

It is caused by the fact that Kazaa is packed by a utility called PE-Protect, and this utility, among other things, tries to avoid running under debugger. Unfortunately, it identifies avast!'s Standard Shield as a debugger...  :-\

I don't think we'll be able to fix this issue (at least in a short timeframe). As a work around, you'll probably have to stop the Standard Shield before launching Kazaa (that should work).

Sorry for that. ;)
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mvanderlinden

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 08:25:01 PM »
No offense! But please log this as a support issue so future users will be aware of this small issue and know how to solve it, by putting the level to medium!

kind regards!

Milo van der Linden

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 09:41:26 AM »
Milo,

and know how to solve it, by putting the level to medium!

I don't think you're right that this would help. It really has nothing to do with the mail scanner (and/or its heuristics settings).

The only real workaround at the moment is to temporarily stop the Standard Shield (don't forget to restart it after Kazaa starts, as Kazaa can be quite dangerous).

Vlk
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 09:41:42 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.