Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 8413 times)

Walker

Suggestion
« on: October 07, 2003, 10:50:10 PM »
Vlk,

Just a suggestion.... wouldn't it be possible to post a message on the forum describing program updates as they are released. At least the people who look on here could get the latest info.

Auto update d/loaded the latest version to-day, but even the 'News' flash didn't mention the unloading providers faxility... just picked it up from another message!.

How about this darned curse of the slow shut downs on XP?... seems to have been on the lists and mentioned loads of times... any chance of that getting fixed?.

Can't please all of the people all of the time. ::) But that's for the continued improvements and work form the Avast team.

techie101

Re:Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 11:08:48 PM »
walker,

Anything is possible, but why the need?
You can go to the main page of www.avast.com and obtain the same information.

In addition, AVAST takes care of updates automatically (if you set it that way).

The more time the Avast Team spends on duplication of effort, the less time they have to work on new releases of AVAST itself.

I would rather work on AVAST.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am sure it has been noted.

;D

Walker

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 11:17:33 PM »
walker,

Anything is possible, but why the need?
You can go to the main page of www.avast.com and obtain the same information.

In addition, AVAST takes care of updates automatically (if you set it that way).

The more time the Avast Team spends on duplication of effort, the less time they have to work on new releases of AVAST itself.

I would rather work on AVAST.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am sure it has been noted.

;D

Thanks Techie 101,

I'm sure your gonna prove me wrong, but I checked the main Avast page... I couldn't see anything about the facility to 'unload' providers!!!... it's the same info that's downloaded in the 'News' file. Again, the only place I found out about the providers is from another topic!.

As mentioned before in other threads, lots of things get suggested, many get implimented. Perhaps it is only the curious few that like to know what has/hasn't/will but it is impossible to establish that.  ???

I'm glad for the work to continue on Avast, any chance of speeding up XP shut down while your at it?.

Best wishes, and again thanks for the hard work

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 03:21:28 AM »
I'm glad for the work to continue on Avast, any chance of speeding up XP shut down while your at it?

Walker, if it helps try Force Down Lite 2.3 (http://www.hs-lab.com/Downloads/Shareware/fdown/fdown-l.exe), maybe you can accelerate a little your XP Shutdown.
Btw, I read your post but cannot figure it what exactly is the trouble with news...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 09:36:18 AM »
Btw, I read your post but cannot figure it what exactly is the trouble with news...  :'(

Hi Technical,

Thanks for the tip, I haven't got to the bottom of the sytem crashes yet (Not an Avast problem :) ) so I'm staying clear of loading too much 3rd party stuff, but thanks anyway.

What I was referring to with 'News' and the suggestion is.... in another topic, Mantra asked about the unloading of providers and Vlk said it's in the new version (278). So... I was a bit surprised not to see this mentioned in the News that came with 278 or on the Main Avast page!. My thinking was that it was quiet an important/much asked for feature, but no apparent mention anywhere (other than a passing comment in another topic). Anyway, having tried it (unloading providers), I'm not too sure it works for me. Gotta do some more checking.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 09:39:14 AM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 02:03:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I haven't got to the bottom of the sytem crashes yet (Not an Avast problem :) ) so I'm staying clear of loading too much 3rd party stuff, but thanks anyway.
You´re welcome...

What I was referring to with 'News' and the suggestion is.... in another topic, Mantra asked about the unloading of providers and Vlk said it's in the new version (278). So... I was a bit surprised not to see this mentioned in the News that came with 278 or on the Main Avast page!. My thinking was that it was quiet an important/much asked for feature, but no apparent mention anywhere (other than a passing comment in another topic). Anyway, having tried it (unloading providers), I'm not too sure it works for me. Gotta do some more checking.  ;)
Maybe it´s not implemented. For me, unloadiang providers works fine (in Pro version you can set what providers will be loaded...). Anyway, let´s wait for what Vlk has to say  ;D

Walker

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 02:23:44 PM »
Anyway, let´s wait for what Vlk has to say  ;D

I think Vlk has gone to ground  :-\ ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 09:49:44 PM »
I think Vlk has gone to ground  :-\ ;)

I mean, with Beatles, "working like a dog"  ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 09:57:28 PM »
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Vlk's notice concerned installing/uninstalling the providers (by the installer) - not really "unloading" (at least I personally understand the word "unloading" as "unloading from memory").
I'm not sure if it was implemented, though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 10:14:26 PM »
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Vlk's notice concerned installing/uninstalling the providers (by the installer) - not really "unloading" (at least I personally understand the word "unloading" as "unloading from memory").
I'm not sure if it was implemented, though.

Thanks for the explanation. But in my post I distinguish between unloading and "not installing", didn´t I? I don´t know if the feature of "not installing" was implemented in 4.1.280. Btw, in avast! home page we cannot know what we are downloading... I tryed to download the entire setup file 4.1.280 but I´m not sure if I am downloading the 4.1.278... In the main page is not shown the 4.1.280 too!!!  ;)

kubecj

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 11:12:19 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. But in my post I distinguish between unloading and "not installing", didn´t I? I don´t know if the feature of "not installing" was implemented in 4.1.280.

The feature of installing/uninstalling residents was added in version 278.

Btw, in avast! home page we cannot know what we are downloading...

Some people are not in office today, they're on http://www.invex.cz/ exhibition. They'll update web tomorrow. As there was a urgent need to sort out the situation, we decided to put the files there immediatelly.

I tryed to download the entire setup file 4.1.280 but I´m not sure if I am downloading the 4.1.278... In the main page is not shown the 4.1.280 too!!!  ;)

From 278 onwards I've implemented command-line switch '/v' or '/version'. It should display the version of SFX archive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 01:01:53 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. But in my post I distinguish between unloading and "not installing", didn´t I? I don´t know if the feature of "not installing" was implemented in 4.1.280.

The feature of installing/uninstalling residents was added in version 278.

Btw, in avast! home page we cannot know what we are downloading...

Some people are not in office today, they're on http://www.invex.cz/ exhibition. They'll update web tomorrow. As there was a urgent need to sort out the situation, we decided to put the files there immediatelly.

I tryed to download the entire setup file 4.1.280 but I´m not sure if I am downloading the 4.1.278... In the main page is not shown the 4.1.280 too!!!  ;)

From 278 onwards I've implemented command-line switch '/v' or '/version'. It should display the version of SFX archive.

Thanks kubecj. Let´s try to make the users calm and happy.
Everything is all right and working. Thanks for your hard work...  ;)