Author Topic: Avast seems to have deleted Firefox?  (Read 4091 times)

PaulB_UK

Avast seems to have deleted Firefox?
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:12:14 PM »
Just surfing away normally, clicked a link - Avast starts going nuts "You have a Virus" - Delete - think it said it was a Netsky variant.  Further two alerts delete both, computer crashes and reboots.  On reboot I have no Firefox on my system.  The Firefox.exe file has been deleted. Pretty sure I was virus free before the alert. ???

Will It Work

Re: Avast seems to have deleted Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 04:26:46 PM »
Well, if it was Netsky, it would have come through your mail, and would appear at any time.

I'm surprised th eonly solution was to delete: usually there's an option to move to chest.  With that said, if it did/ hook your firefox.exe file, and you deleted it, it could be gone.

Assuming you used defualts, are the rest of the files, esp xul and jar files still in c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox ?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »
Well,Firefox is buggy and will sometimes lose all its settings,bookmarks and addons on cold reboot.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

PaulB_UK

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:44:07 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I did have a move to chest option but the recommended course of asction was to delete - which I did.  I've had a look and performed a search of the Firefox folder and there were no .xul files but there were a lot of .jar files there.

Second time this week I've lost my bookmarks on Firefox - luckily this time I had a backup.  Still haven't re-installed Firefox as yet as I'm running a full system scan with Avast. Can you exclude .mp3 files from the scan and should I?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
avast! doesn't delete files without:
1. detected infection.
2. User intervention choosing to delete or you having the pro version and set to delete silently.

If you were browsing and clicked a link and all hell broke loose, then it is likely to have been Web Shield giving the warning and it doesn't give a delete option, just Abort Connection to stop the infected page/item being downloaded.

Check the avast! Log Viewer and see if you can see more info on the alert.

There is a backup utility for firefox settings (foxbackup.exe), etc. but if you copy the profile folder that should do it
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security