Author Topic: Avast Internet Security 2014 Blocking All Internet Connection  (Read 59178 times)

bobby2478

Avast Internet Security 2014 Blocking All Internet Connection
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:14:18 AM »
Avast Internet Security was recently auto updated to 2014 and ever since, it has begun to block ALL internet connections.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that doesn't work either.  The only way I'm able to access the internet via any program or browser is by disabling Avast, and then it works.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit, I've been using a licensed version of Avast Internet Security for years and this has only become a problem since upgrading to 2014.  So something in the 2014 version caused something to break.  I'm not using Windows Firewall (not enabled) and have no other firewalls or security programs installed.

Until this can be fixed, I'll need to revert to an older version of Avast so that I can use my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

GreggH

Re: Avast Internet Security 2014 Blocking All Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
You say that Avast "recently" updated to 2014... how "recently? There was a problem similar to your with Avast 2014 earlier (v, 9.0.2006) which was fixed in subsequent updates, including the very latest version 9.0.2008 released Nov. 11. Which version of Avast 2014 do you have?

Gregg

bobby2478

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Right now I reverted back to 7.0.1456.  I was using the latest version on 11/15, however after initially appearing to work it went right back to blocking all connections.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled my old version 7.0.1456 and everything works normally.

I don't want to reinstall 2014 until AFTER it's confirmed that this is a known bug and has been confirmed to be fixed.  In the meantime I'll continue using version 7.0 and will just update my virus definitions (but not update the program itself)

Jim Isom

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »
I recently download Avast 2014 9.0.2008 131120-0.  Running Win 7 Pro x86 SP1.  Can't access any web site unless shield controls are disabled.

Update:  I can ping various web sites and get normal reply.  Just can't display web pages.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:01:44 AM by Jim Isom »

jmmug

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
I have had this same problem whenever updating the program to Avast 2014 Internet Security. I have uninstalled the 2014 version 3 or 4 times already. Using the Avast Clear program to remove the Avast completely each time. Each time I used a restore point to a the pre-2014 program and it always worked. Kept getting the blue Avast window pop up indicating to update to the new program. Last time I ignored this for almost a month before trying the install again. I sent the problem to Avast support and they made recommendations, including the use of Avast clear program. The last update I tried was yesterday. This time I was able to disable the Avast 2014 Firewall and get access to the internet. But what is the use of the internet security program if you don't have a firewall? Not very comfortable with that setting. I have used Avast for 4 years now and never used the Windows Firewall with it. Now I can't even turn on the Windows firewall. I hear that the FIOS routers also have a built in firewall. I am tempted to go back to the previous version program and just ingore all update to 2014 requests. I submitted ANOTHER ticket to Avast support and I see that this is not an uncommon problem so I hope they can come up with a solution.

I will keep checking back on the forum to see if anyone can post a solution. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have a win 8 notebook that does not have any problems with Avast 2014.

Thanks

RobGD3

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
My main problem since updating has been email not sending, but, I have also experienced some website loading issues.

Try turning the Webshield off, and seeing how that works for you.  It's fixed my email problem, and I haven't had a website fail to load since I turned it off.

Cheers,
..rob

postkat

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:48:21 AM »
I have the same problem with Avast Internet security version 2014.9.0.2008 on Windows 7 professional.
Since the upgrade to this version i had internet problems but it was working most of the time.
But today internet all internet traffic was blocked.

First i blamed my internet provider but in a bright moment i decided to disable Avast for 10 min and all internet problems were solved.
I have tried to find the cause of this problem but with no succes yet. I have set avast to ask me before blocking but i don't get any messages from avast when internet is blocked.
The only solution that worked was to disable the firewall completely and enable the Windows firewall.

Planetgarb

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
I have the same problem after the update ... if I disable everything then I can connect to websites normally

oddfact

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »
Same issue here.  Disable all of Avast and everything works.  Where can I find older versions to install?  Is there a workaround yet?

propheticus

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141407. You could try removing the Avast firewall.

mistertee

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
I continue to run into this problem from time to time even after updating to the latest version. Here's a quick workaround for Win 7 that doesn't require you to turn off your shields or reboot: Open the Control Panel and click on Administrative Services. When the selection window appears, click on "Services". Now look for the entry "avast! Antivirus" (which should be somewhere near the top since it starts with "A"). Right click on it and select "Restart". If a warning message from avast! appears click "Yes". Wait for the progress bar to complete and exit Services. avast! shouls be working as normal again.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:59:35 PM by mistertee »

Offline Turtlediver

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
... First i blamed my internet provider but in a bright moment i decided to disable Avast for 10 min and all internet problems were solved.
I have tried to find the cause of this problem but with no succes yet. ...
I experienced the same Internet problems after updating to 2011; and after wasting a few hours troubleshooting, reverted to 2008.  That's where it's going to remain until things have been sorted out. 
Win7 SP1 64-bit, ZoneAlarm, PhenomII, 3.2GHz, 8MB RAM,
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:21:44 PM by Turtlediver »

Jay1169

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:28 PM »
Two days ago I allowed Avast to update. I use the Free Version for my home use. The current version is 2014.9.0.2011. Since it's done the update I no longer can get any pages on the internet, web sites, email, social media sites or anything to come up. To even come to this page I had to disable the Avast. I don't know how long I've had Avast before, probably a year or so, and never had this issue before. Every time I try to access anything I get a timed out session page or an SSL page. The minute I disable Avast I can get into my email just fine (which I go through the email provider and not have it popped) and can get onto any other site as well. Which defeats the purpose of having an antivirus program if I cannot run it while working. I don't really know how to find and go back to an earlier version, so am considering removing Avast and going to AVG if I can't get some help in getting this working right. Please help.

Jay1169

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 05:15:51 PM »
I also deleted out the add on in Firefox within a few hours hoping that would repair the problem. But it did not.

OliPicard

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
I know this is a moonshot have you considered installing the new beta version of avast? (It's got improvements to the firewall segment.)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144768.0