Author Topic: Avast Internet Security 2014 Blocking All Internet Connection  (Read 59214 times)

paulfel

Re: Avast Internet Security 2014 Blocking All Internet Connection
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
I have just started using Avast Fee 2014.0.9.2011. Immediately I was not able to access legitimate web sites like the UK's Met Office and BT.com from where I get my email. I carried out a Repair to the Installation and was able to access web sites again, but noticed an Avast Online Security add-on to Internet Explorer was being asked for. Thinking this must be good, installed it and once again I was not able to access legitimate website's. What is the damned point, I really despair at AV's. I once vowed years ago never to use Norton after it's dreadfully intrusive operation. I have since been using Microsoft Security Essentials successfully for several years without complaint, until I read a computer magazine report saying it was not a particularly good Anti Virus program because it is ineffective at blocking malware. This Anti Virus magazine test report hailed Avast Free as the one to chose for protection. Who knows? maybe it is, or has the writer been written a nice cheque to say good things about Avast. So far it's causing me a headache. AV's should work quietly in the background should not be intrusive and should block at least 99% of nasty's. Unhappy Avast user.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:21:18 PM by paulfel »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
If you are having problems with Avast Online Security ( AOS ) then you can either disable via right clicking the toolbar at the top of your browser or you can uninstall it through "Programs and Features" double click on avast and select change on the popup and untick the features you don't wish to be installed.

paulfel

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
Thank you for your reply cragb. I became exasperated with Avast, so I have now uninstalled it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply cragb. I became exasperated with Avast, so I have now uninstalled it.
Ok, thanks for letting us know.

If you ever choose to re-install use the custom install process which will give you the option of what features you'd like installed.

learmanfl

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:53 PM »
almost the same problem. I still can get yahoo and facebook but nothing else seems to work .Avast needs to solve soon. System Dell Inspiron, AMD 64, Windows vista, firefox, I went to Avast (paid for 3 years) from Nortons because of poor customer service. If you do a search you will see the problem is with several people.

cm92

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »
I am uninstalling AVAST after 4 years of using. Because you've served me well, I thought I'd post on here to let you know the problem.

The Web Shield restricts me in everyday tasks:

e.g.
I like to use YouTube

I have the webshield on, I cannot watch YouTube videos. (Videos load 1-10 seconds then stop, no exceptions)
I turn the webshield off, I can watch YouTube videos. (Videos load normally, no exceptions)

I have held on for a while, I have installed every update you have, and nothing seems to address my problem. It's been a good couple months, so I'm out.

I tried to fix the problem but I can't. I have a new ultrabook and fairly good computer knowledge.

Specs
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:40:08 PM by cm92 »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »
This problem popped up in one of my customer's Win 7 PC last month after an Avast update that never completed and the PC would not shut down. I tried safe mode, disabling shields with no success. Oddly, though it would hang on Removing temporary files after trying several system restore points, it would be fine after a forced reboot, and then back to the same no-internet condition with the next restart of Windows.

Avast 2014.9.0.2021 would not let me fully stop it from loading  under the registry Run list, Admin Services, msconfig start, or Task manager.   It was protecting itself much like a virus. >:(

Finally decided to uninstall it which gives no indication of its active progress.  Discovered that it was trying to install an emergency update which was suspending the uninstall  :(.  Once I killed off the emergency update which was hung anyway, the rest of the uninstall proceeded snappily.

Rebooted after the uninstall, checked that Avast was no longer active, and found the Internet services via wifi and ethernet cable were restored.  Even though still had about 8 months to go on the Avast subscription, it's not worth the problem it caused.

Installed Avira, which has less system drag, better reputation for staying out of trouble,  and also comes in free and subscription styles.