Author Topic: Sms restore not working in KitKat  (Read 10118 times)

pexerism

Sms restore not working in KitKat
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »
Hi,
Just upgraded my Nexus 4 to 4.4 .
I've successfully restored the call log and pictures however SMS restore fails with error "app not allowed".
After some research I've found that SMS works differently in KitKat. Only the default SMS app is allowed to write to SMS.
Please refer to "Advice for SMS backup & restore apps" on http://android-developers.blogspot.se/2013/10/getting-your-sms-apps-ready-for-kitkat.html
Just to clarify: the backup I'm using was tested and working on 4.3

Is the Dev team aware of this and when will there be a 4.4 compatible Mobile Backup?

pexerism

Re: Sms restore not working in KitKat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »
Hi,
Noticed a new version of Mobile Backup dated 18nov on Play store. Updated but restore still doesn't work.
I've opened a case as well a couple of days ago. One would hope on quick response when buying the paid version, but still no signs of life through support or in this forum.
Avast: please advise!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »
Hi,

there was no new version on that day, the date probably changed due to a description change, not a new version upload.

Can't tell you anything about the features though since I'm not in the Backup team.

Filip

pexerism

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »
Hi,

there was no new version on that day, the date probably changed due to a description change, not a new version upload.

Can't tell you anything about the features though since I'm not in the Backup team.

Filip

Thanks Filip, response is appretiated. Hope hearing from dev team or support.

pexerism

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
OK, that's it.

For others experiencing this issue, here's my way of solving this WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM AVAST allthough I'm paying for "support" and "security"  :D :D
Unfortunately You'll need another Android device in my case a Samsung Tab 10.1 but I'll guess any Android sms-compatible device will do.

1. Restore your Avast Mobile Backup to that device
2. Uninstall Avast (this is crucial if You want useful backups in the future) :D
3. Install a free backup that is maintained and updated. For example "SMS Backup and Restore" but there are tons of KitKat compatible solutions out there.
4. Make a backup through that on Your restored device.
5. Upload the backup to Google Drive or Drop box.
7. Install the working backup app yove chosen during step 3 on Your KitKat phone
8. Download the file from step 5 to the phone and restore.
DONE!

Hope the Avast developers will get Mobile Backup working.
But I'm leaving for other more reliable solutions, Bye! :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:04:56 PM by pexerism »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
Hi,

Filip

Here we are 6 months later and restore still does not work.  I can't find ANYTHING from the "Backup" team.  I just purchased Backup/Restore because I had to have my Galaxy S4 replaced.  And now I find it doesn't work!!!  What a piece of garbage company to continue to sell a product that doesn't work!!!!!