Author Topic: Avast 9 not updating virus definitions - dallas3super  (Read 40101 times)

Offline idleracer

Re: Avast 9 not updating virus definitions - dallas3super
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
I'm just going to assume that the updates come every other day now instead of twice a day, like they used to. It's now the 20th, and I'm still at 131118-1. At least this thread has taught me what streaming updates are, and what button to push to monitor them. 8)

Ananda Ji

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Have a look at the Virus Update History at http://www.avast.com/en-eu/virus-update-history and see what we missed on the 19th...
Sure, there are streaming updates, but do they really give the same protection? If so, Avast surely would have told their users? Or do they prefer to protect us at random? That would give them a bad name in AV-land, would it not?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Have a look at the Virus Update History at http://www.avast.com/en-eu/virus-update-history and see what we missed on the 19th...
Sure, there are streaming updates, but do they really give the same protection? If so, Avast surely would have told their users? Or do they prefer to protect us at random? That would give them a bad name in AV-land, would it not?
You haven't missed anything, the def's updates only contain what has already been given to you via streaming so the def's updates aren't really a big concern unless they feel the need to push out a few fixes.

beno696

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
I'm just going to assume that the updates come every other day now instead of twice a day.....

sorry, it's not like that! - My Mobile get updates always on time.. - today already in the morning 119.0 - only my laptop has Problems in the last week...
First with 116.1 about 2 days or more / now with 118.1...
Maybe they want the people to pay???

mistercee

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
I'm just going to assume that the updates come every other day now instead of twice a day.....

sorry, it's not like that! - My Mobile get updates always on time.. - today already in the morning 119.0 - only my laptop has Problems in the last week...
First with 116.1 about 2 days or more / now with 118.1...
Maybe they want the people to pay???

Same here. Mobile is up to date, laptop last updated on 11/18 2 days ago.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »

Please read previous posts, the avast 9.x VPS updates are different to the earlier avast versions and that page only shows the earlier versions VPS update releases.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rocket997

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »

Please read previous posts, the avast 9.x VPS updates are different to the earlier avast versions and that page only shows the earlier versions VPS update releases.

Guys, you read this topic and you know the problem - people dont care about your explanations: streaming updates are just perfect, vps update is no need, new Avast is something different to past versions and no need updates via vps et cetera... People just want the updates. Why dont you give them, what they want?

Btw. My streaming updates doesnt work - look what I wrote above.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
<snip quotes>
Guys, you read this topic and you know the problem - people dont care about your explanations: streaming updates are just perfect, vps update is no need, new Avast is something different to past versions and no need updates via vps et cetera... People just want the updates. Why dont you give them, what they want?

Btw. My streaming updates doesnt work - look what I wrote above.

If people don't care about the explanations, surely they would care about finding a fix if the streaming updates don't work, clearly not.

My post directly below your previous post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140198.msg1022580#msg1022580 suggested you start your own new topic about that so we could try to help you.

So far no response or new topic.

Also the NOTE about having the virus definitions auto updates enabled for the streaming updates to work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
For my thinking, I'd say Avast people are making a point. The old once a day process of updating VPS defs is gone and simply NOT NEEDED with the new technology used by Avast.
Until folks start dropping like flies with contracted virus's due to 'no vps daily updates' I'm not in the least worried.
Really, Avast users are using a cutting edge security software program and you either trust what you have installed or you don't. Avast is leading not because it lets their users surf unprotected but because we are protected in ways other security programs don't.
The lack of daily updates imo is just another step in "effective efficiency", and in no way causes me to think I'm protected less........when the fact is with Constant Streaming Updates I'm protected better!.
IMO  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:11:15 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
For my thinking, I'd say Avast people are making a point. The old once a day process of updating VPS defs is gone and simply NOT NEEDED with the new technology used by Avast.
Until folks start dropping like flies with contracted virus's due to 'no vps daily updates' I'm not in the least worried.
Really, Avast users are using a cutting edge security software program and you either trust what you have installed or you don't. Avast is leading not because it lets their users surf unprotected but because we are protected in ways other security programs don't.
The lack of daily updates imo is just another step in "effective efficiency", and in no way causes me to think I'm protected less........when the fact is with Constant Streaming Updates I'm protected better!.
IMO  ;)
Actually, what we have here is a case of user expectations based on the old way of doing things.

It's like when you get up in the morning, clean up, put on your clothes, get your breakfast and whatever else, read the newspaper left at your door, watch the telly, and go out the door to work, etc.,.  If you change the expected order of that routine, it may be less efficient or may not make sense or prevent one from getting out the door on that day, so....

It's a case of not understanding what streaming updates are, and what they do, so this disrupts to some extent what the user expects on a daily basis from avast!, as the daily vps's are something they understand and are used to occurring every day.

Streaming updates are not breaking the protective cycle, but actually enhancing this protective process.  We're heading to the point where a daily vps may not be needed anymore, and may only see one when avast! thinks it is needed. 

That's what I'm seeing from here.

So, for those who have disabled streaming updates for whatever reason, I think you may be missing out on the enhanced protection avast! now provides.  There is such a thing as removing active features from avast! (not default) that can actually hurt a user as far as protection expected from avast! goes.  Maybe this is one of the source issues we seem to be dealing with here in this thread.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:49 PM »
Well so far since the last regular released VPS update I have received 427 streaming updates.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »
If avast communicated if this situation will be permanent or is temporary... just that :) and to sleeping

vps of day 20  it is available
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:32:53 PM by miguelgrado »

mikel123

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »
I allowed my Avast installation to update the program yesterday (20 November). All went well except I was "stuck" on virus update 131118 when I thought it should have been 131119.

As always when I have a "problem" with Avast, I came back to this Forum and spent an hour or so reading the various Threads. I now have an understanding how "Streaming Updates" are taking over from the "old system" of daily vps-updates.

But I do have a question please........ My computer is usually turned on when I wake up in the morning, and turned off when I close the office late in the evening. My "Streaming Updates" are ACTIVE. However, if I leave the computer for a couple of hours during the day I have the habit of activating (Locking) my Zone Alarm Firewall. This action effectively prevents any internet connection. I unlock the Firewall when I return to the computer. Streaming Updates seem to recommence immediately...but, and here is my question.......

"is the detail of any streaming update which was sent during the time my Firewall was blocking the Net lost to me...or  is that data still captured when my computer is again listening to the Net?"

Thanks....\\\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
As far as I'm aware the VPS release date time group is based on Central European Time, so it isn't quite the 21st yet, so that would be something that you would have to take into account.

olddog

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2013, 02:50:38 AM »
There are instances where streaming updates are of absolutely no use.

I have several portables for instance that are used in a service application. They are quite deliberately never connected to the internet, but because they are required to interact with multiple other PC's (mainly via files transferred by USB flash drive, and less often by a network patch cable), they still need antivirus protection.

The updates to the antivirus as well as updates to system and application files are done manually at a convenient time from files that have been downloaded to a flash drive from an online PC.

Ideally the manual antivirus updating of the portables would be done once each day, but in practice it sometimes is several days between updates. 

It is no problem downloading the Avast update files to do this, but it isn't ideal now when the file on the server for download at the time may be 2 or maybe 3 days "out of date".

I accept that the odds are (particularly in this application) that this may never actually be responsible for a virus being missed, however arguably it does make Avast a little less attractive in this instance than it was previously, and in comparison with other products that do have current updates available for manual download on at least a daily basis.