Author Topic: [2014.9.0.2006] Cablecard is being blocked by firewall.  (Read 3179 times)

thexfile

[2014.9.0.2006] Cablecard is being blocked by firewall.
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
Hello,

My Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe CableCard is being blocked by avast! 2014 firewall. The cablecard is not showing on the network when the firewall is on. When the firewall is turned off the cablecard is showing.

I have went into the Application Rules and set Ceton Corporation(cablecard software) to "All Connections and all ports "All"" but the same problem is still there, even after restarting. Only when the firewall is off the card shows on the network.

I used the avast cleaning tool to remove previous version before installing 2014.

avast! Premier (2014)
Windows 7 64bit (fully updated)
Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe CableCard (latest driver and firmware)
http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

thexfile

Re: [2014.9.0.2006] Cablecard is being blocked by firewall.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
I temporally fixed the firewall problem by uninstalling my paid premier version and installing the free version.

Thanks.

wgosling

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
I'm having the same issue with Avast 2014's firewall on my Win7 64-bit machine.  I use Ceton's ETH6 CableCard tuner, which lives on my network.  Any number of 6 tuners can be assigned to any compatible Windows machine on the network.

This machine was behaving fine using 1 of those tuners, able to tune live TV over the network without any trouble.  After updating from Avast 2013 to 2014, the firewall is blocking my network tuner and I'm no longer able to tune TV.  I've added the required ports to the Avast firewall rules per Ceton installation instructions, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Live TV will only tune properly in Windows Media Center if I re-add the tuner while Avast's firewall is disabled.  As soon as the firewall portion is enabled, the tuner no longer works.

What has changed from 2013 to 2014 Avast versions' firewall that would make this an issue??  My main media PC (also Win7 64-bit) uses 4 of the tuners and has no issues with the recent Avast update because it is running Avast Basic 2014 and therefore does not use Avast's firewall.  My only solution right now is to disable the Avast firewall (which I've paid for) and use the Windows Firewall until Avast can remedy the problem.  I will not be renewing my paid subscription if this issue cannot be resolved.

wgosling

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
This seems to have sorted itself out.  I can't say for sure which step solved the issue, but there are a few things.

1. Updated from 2014.9.0.2006 to 2014.9.0.2008
2. Multiple reboots after adding the Ceton port rules to the firewall settings.
3. Re-running the Ceton network tuner wizard from the Extras menu of Media Center and then running through the full "Setup TV Signal" process in Settings of Media Center, all while the firewall is active.

Some combination of these allowed the tuner to function again while the firewall is active.  Happy that things are back to "normal" but at a loss to explain why this should have been a struggle to begin with.