Author Topic: Auto Renewal Scam. This is how you stop it the right way  (Read 14943 times)

555py

Auto Renewal Scam. This is how you stop it the right way
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:14 AM »

Cancel Automatic Renewal

Hello everybody, I took the time to register to this forum, so people don't have to waste their time trying to find out how and where to cancel their automatic renewal subscription from Avast.
To be honest, I think Avast is really making it hard for somebody to get to the right place to do this, I spent time looking for a link or reading their stupid faqs about this but couldn't find iany, not even loggin in into my account!
Came to find out that, you have to contact the customer service human robots at digitalriver.com to get this done, you have to know your order number, which came in your confirmation email when you first purchased the software.
Their number is (952) 908-4150
Hope this help and for this reason Avast you just lost a customer.

Gorg

Re: Auto Renewal Scam. This is how you stop it the right way
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »
It's been a little while, but I can swear there is an opt-out at time of purchase for auto-renewal, right under the product name on the check out screen. And I believe I remember clicking on it to not auto-renew.

Why, yes. Yes it's there! You can't really blame avast! for your failure to read the checkout screen.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:26:40 AM by Gorg »

Offline Jon Doe

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
Yep I agree with Gorg. I recently purchased Avast! Premier and am always on the look out for this type of thing. I remember seeing that opt-out too.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:58:39 PM by JemTheWire »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
You two just ruined the OP's rant.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
The information is right there on the website for all to see, and before you go to purchase.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »
+1
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
Lets not beat up on the OP, whilst that image posted shows it nice and clear, that is only because the selection has been expanded by clicking on the 'Activate Auto-Renewal' (More info). If that wasn't there then we are looking at a line of text (see attachment).

For me the wording in that text isn't clear either, to me 'Activate Auto-Renewal' (More info) means that it isn't activated and if you want it you would have to activate it.

I will make a very educated guess that this is already checked in the underlying More info, so far from Activating it, it is already activated by default and you have to change it (if you don't want it) that isn't good.

Either the wording in the main screen needs changing or the underlying options should be set to No thanks, so that users don't get set for auto renewals by omission/accident. We have seen a few posts where it certainly isn't easy to cancel auto renewal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gorg

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
Actually, DavidR, when I went to test this to get the screenshot, manual renewal was selected by default. It's possible this is a recent development on how they handle this now. So the wording would actually make sense.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
Actually, DavidR, when I went to test this to get the screenshot, manual renewal was selected by default. It's possible this is a recent development on how they handle this now. So the wording would actually make sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

That is rather strange, given the few topics I have seen related to cancelling the auto renewal, if they did nothing, then they shouldn't have slipped into this auto renewal by accident or omission. Something similar to the various chrome installation without their permission complaints, chrome was checked by default and if there was a problem with the screen not being displayed. I'm very much against default opt-in for any choice, the user must intentionally opt-in to avoid problems of this nature.

That said, based on what the OP has said, cancelling any auto renewal subscription isn't as simple as it might state in your screenshot.

Also I don't know when this initial subscription was taken out, a year ago if this really is a renewal, so there is no way to say what the auto renewal process was then opt-out or opt-in.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 12:08:27 AM »
It would be fair if Avast had an easy view button to cancel auto renew.  It is far too hard to find.  As I paid via Paypal I've had to cancel the transaction there as I do not find the method of auto renew fair to customer.  That is my only reason why I will no longer renew with Avast.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »
It would be fair if Avast had an easy view button to cancel auto renew.  It is far too hard to find.  As I paid via Paypal I've had to cancel the transaction there as I do not find the method of auto renew fair to customer.  That is my only reason why I will no longer renew with Avast.
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Cancel-auto-renewal
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet