Author Topic: Whilokii Malware  (Read 13128 times)

John Blixt

Whilokii Malware
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody would know how I get rid of Whilokii and all of it's contents.  I'm getting a popup add at 0110 sharp every morning and Avast is blocking the site.  It's a beer company-Australian-brewingcompany.com .  I'm pretty sure that the culprit is Whilokii as I've looked through all my installed programs for unfamiliar programs.  Whilokii was on the list of programs installed and when I tried to uninstall it, windows told me that it had already been uninstalled.  My Avast scan did detect it and I have the WhilokiiUninstall.exe file in the virus chest.  I'm unclear as to how I destroy the file from the virus chest.  I've also found a thread and installed and run Malwarebytes-anti-malware.  That scan also detected Whilokii files and removed them.  I still have a Whilokii folder with files in my Program Files(86).  I would love some advice as to how I remove this folder and all files as well as destroy the file in the Avast Virus Chest. 

Thank you,

John
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:19:47 PM by WanderZ »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Whilokii Malware
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:34:44 AM »
Please follow these instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

John Blixt

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
Thank you Eddy,

I have followed the steps in that forum and the programs seem to have deleted the malicious files.  I still have the WhilokiiUninstall.exe file in the Avast virus chest that I don't know how to destroy?  When I hit 'delete from virus chest' the file is restored to the Whilokii folder that resides in Program Files.  I would like to know how to get the .exe file in virus chest destroyed as well as remove the Whilokii folder completely.  When I try to delete the folder in Program Files, I get a message that it is open in another program and can't be removed.  I'm assuming that the file in the virus chest is causing the removal problem?

Thank you,

John

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
Good to hear part of the problem is solved.
Now let's see if we can solve the rest.
Boot in safe mode and try to delete everything from there.
If avast doesn't start automatically in safe mode, try to do so manually.
Also attach (a new created) OTL log to your next post so we can see if there is more that need to be fixed/removed.
While we working on things we better do it right, right? :-)

John Blixt

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:57:53 AM »
Eddy,

You rock!  That was very difficult to get rid of!  Booting up in safe mode worked for the folder deletion.  I ran a quick scan from there and was then able to delete the folder.  I was still able to locate a whilokii file in a hidden folder so, I showed all hidden files and folders and could then go delete the last of the files, it was buried in a hidden Firefox folder.  Before I could delete the folder I had to change folder properties as the default is set to "creator" can edit or change a folder, I did that from safe mode too.  I emptied the recycle bin from safe mode as well.  Then went back and did  a search which came up clean and with 'show hidden files and folders' went manually looking through program files and found nothing.  I checked for Whilokii in services and start-up-gone.  Then I ran an Avast and MBAM scan which came up clean again.  I still have a whilokii .exe file in the virus chest and am wondering if highlight->delete from Avast will delete the file permanently?  I thought I selected that option once and it restored the file to it's original location.  I'm not used to the interface with Avast with regards to virus removal.  Thanks for your help!

JB
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:20:24 PM by WanderZ »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »
I still have a whilokii .exe file in the virus chest and am wondering if highlight->delete from Avast will delete the file permanently?
right click file in chest...and Select delete should remove it

avast! 2014: Using the Virus Chest   http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB21#artTitle

try AdwCleaner for search/delete browser crap   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

and as suggested by Eddy, attaching OTL diagnostic log will show the removal experts any leftover files that need to be removed

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:09:45 AM by Pondus »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
Hi a few bits remain

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-1682054373-3015596257-461473857-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings: "ProxyServer" = localhost:8080
[2013/10/07 10:30:18 | 000,003,746 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Users\JRB\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4l3f9kex.default\searchplugins\safeguard-secure-search.xml
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - No CLSID value found.
O3:64bit: - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKU\S-1-5-21-1682054373-3015596257-461473857-1001\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - No CLSID value found.
[2013/11/22 17:28:00 | 000,000,284 | ---- | M] () -- C:\windows\tasks\DigitalSite.job
[2013/11/20 19:02:23 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] -- C:\Users\JRB\AppData\Roaming\DigitalSite

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator" the tool will open and start scanning your system
  • please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

John Blixt

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »
Here's the documents that you wanted me to attach.  Thank you very much.

John
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:19:08 PM by WanderZ »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
Looks like JRT killed the last of it..  How is the computer now ?

John Blixt

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
Am I also good to reinstall Unity Web Player?  It's a virtual player for school.

John

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
For sure, any further problems ?

John Blixt

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
It's great.  I'm pretty impressed.  Thank you!

john

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
In that case methinks I will send you on your merry way :)

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Delete JRT from the desktop

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

John Blixt

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »
Essexboy,

Everything was great until I had a hippo message to update four programs on my computer.  This happened on start-up and so I clicked the download button for all four updates.  I got an .exe file which I thought was a little wierd, but it was for the program so I figured I could run it.  Avast stopped the install and I got a message it had moved a file to the chest.  I killed the install from that point and deleted from the virus chest and moved the install icon to the trash.  I ran virus scan with Avast and ran malwarebytes, which came up with 27 hits and deleted them.  I ran the Oldtimer program again as per the directions at the top of this fiasco.  I now have a new homepage which is
http://aartemis.com/?type=sc&ts=1385302242&from=cor&uid=SAMSUNGXHD204UI_S2H7J1BZC13077 and have changed it once now.  I'm attaching those files that Oldtimer ran as well as MBAM.  I did get an extra file saved on one scan called 'extras'?  Needless to say I'm going to keep the hippo program off for now on, but good news, I got criptoprevent on successfully.  Do I need to do anything from here?

john

John Blixt

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
Here's those files.  I'm also getting an upload file called 'OTL' that doesn't exist on my desktop but is showing up as an upload option from this forum?

john