Author Topic: Avast Scan Techiques - Lazy, Incompetent & Defamation  (Read 22255 times)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Scan Techiques - Lazy, Incompetent & Defamation
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
The problem is that AFTER THE USER UNFLAG THE APP, IT SHOULD IMMEDIATELY GO BACK WORKING.
Because in order to let the application work, now i have to DISABLE the pup function that may be usefull for other threats.
Simply, avast should add a safe list where the user can unflag the apps, that seems to exist already but appears to be not working.

Hi,

you are right about that (it should be working). Can you tell me exactly what 'app is not working' means? I guess that when you added the app (Total Recall) into the ignore list, you stopped getting any dialogs or warnings about the app, correct? The app opens just fine?

Filip

Offline denics

• Avast team
    • avast!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 08:57:47 AM »
The detection will remain for security reasons, that is the final statement.

The application could be used for stealing sensitive information. Every notification can be turned off, that's an android feature since 4.3 so Total Recall could be running stealthily on a phone without user's consciousness. Also, the application can be decompiled, modified and repacked by a 3rd party to disable its notifications.

avast! Mobile Security offers the option to disable PUP detection or add an application to a whitelist so it will no longer be detected on the device.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:08:08 AM by Filip Havlicek »
Denis Konopiský - avast! VirusLab | Android & Windows Malware | VPS Operations | Whitelisting

VickyG

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Hi Filip,

no, total recall was not working although i put it in the whitelist after the pup warning by avast. This is why i complained with them at the beginning... i thought it was an issue from their program, since i trust avast and i put TR in the whitelist.
Then he asked me "do you have avast installed?", so i said yes, and i went to check and actually now i am sure that the issue was caused by avast.

Believe me, i'm just a user of both program and i don't want to create problem to anybody, i don't want to take their part or your part.
I just tell you the problem.

I wrote to them complaining about an issue because Total Recall was not opening anymore.
The issue was exactly this one: when i tap the icon nothing happen. It is like if the app starts for less than one second and then it goes back to the phone home page. Impossible to open the program and/or work on every file.

Frankly speaking, this is unfair AFTER THE USER PUT IT IN THE WHITELIST.

Once again i repeat that in my personal opinion Avast did the right job warning me that a program was recording my call, but AFTER I SAY IT IS OK, i know it, i want this program, Avast should let it work.

I think you just have to fix this and everybody can calm down :)

V

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
The issue was exactly this one: when i tap the icon nothing happen. It is like if the app starts for less than one second and then it goes back to the phone home page. Impossible to open the program and/or work on every file.

Thanks, will be fixed in the next version :)

Filip

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
That's a good outcome.

"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"  Perfect example of that is user VickyG. 

You cannot assume that nothing will be done, but likely ensure nothing will be done if personal uncalled for attacks are made on people who spend a little of their time everyday helping others here.  What Vicky did was the right thing and look what happened.   ;)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
Vicky, thank you for explaining the problem (in detail) and the nice/decent way in which you did.
That is the way to report a problem and get help.

KillerMobile,
I suggest you post a link to Vicky's post here in the google play store so people can read about the problem and what will/is be(en) done about.
I also suggest you remove the "free" from your application listing in the store since your application is not free at all.

KillerMobile

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Vicky, thanks for sharing your side of the story. Vicky only posted here after we asked her to after troubleshooting her issues, and we very much appreciate this. Unfortunately 99% of users will see Avast's PUP warning and simply uninstall Total Recall, or find that Total Recall doesn't open at all and post negative feedback. You can see first hand from feedback left on our Play Store listing in the screen grabs below (for those of you that still don't believe this has negative & damaging affects)

Eddy, the Play Store puts up the free label, there's no way around this since we use their in-app purchase feature. It's clearly mentioned in the first line of the product details it's a 30 day trial.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:21:11 PM by KillerMobile »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »
Eddy, the Play Store puts up the free label, there's no way around this since we use their in-app purchase feature.
No way around it? You have chosen to use their as you call it their "in-app". Others have not and show the price of their applications. So yes, there is a way around it. By not doing so, you are at the least providing misleading information to (potential) customers. For that you can be banned from the store. Is that what you want? I don't think so. As you said yourself, you do not want to loose ratings and such.

The reality is that you provide misleading information in the store.

The reality is that I don't know MattK at al.

The reality is that MattK is a first time poster here. My guess is that he came here because of your post in the play store.

The reality is that you claim that Total Recall can not be used to steal sensitive information. I haven't look at the source of it, but I believe you. However since it stores personal information (as you said so yourself), other applications (malware) can steal it.

The reality is that Vicky posted the problem in a nice/decent way and she got help with it. You should learn from that.

The reality is that you are only wasting your time, energy, money.

The reality is that you are living in your own dreamworld.
If you really are a serious developer/company owner, you wouldn't behave like a 3 year old kid.

The reality is that you haven't showed (sofar) any sense of reality at all.

KillerMobile

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »
FYI.....

Apps that are PAID ONLY (no trial available, or the trial is listed as a separate app) show the price in the store label.

Demos & Apps that use the in-app purchase API (provided by google themselves) show up as FREE. Hence why ours shows as free, and why we clearly mention that the application is a 30 day demo both in the first line of the product description and in an application dialog that appears every time the user runs the app.

There's absolutely nothing misleading about this and quite to the contrary is all due to Google's own API's and listing practices. Any application that allows the user to install without first paying will appear as FREE, even if it's not a free application. Google offers no DEMO or TRIAL label.

Again and again and again you keep proving you simply don't know what you're talking about, yet you keep rambling on.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
@ KillerMobile,
Again and again and again you keep proving you simply don't know what you're talking about, yet you keep rambling on.
That's your opinion.

After you've pretty much done all you can to insult Eddy, what do you expect?  IMO, he has shown great restraint, stayed on topic, and offered a helping hand to the both of you.  Can't say that is true of what you have posted here.

If you want people to buy your software, based on what I've seen and read here, I'll pass.  Whether you realize it or not, you do need the support and trust of your potential customers, and as everyone has a bad day (you certainly did) a certain amount of civililty would've worked wonders for you and your product you are selling.  Why support someone financially if they are rude at times and lash out without any real provocation, and then do it to someone who is trying to help you? 

I can think of better ways of spending money, so to speak, such as go look for an alternative solution.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »
@ KillerMobile,
That's your opinion.

After you've pretty much done all you can to insult Eddy, what do you expect?  IMO, he has shown great restraint, stayed on topic, and offered a helping hand to the both of you.  Can't say that is true of what you have posted here.

If you want people to buy your software, based on what I've seen and read here, I'll pass.  Whether you realize it or not, you do need the support and trust of your potential customers, and as everyone has a bad day (you certainly did) a certain amount of civililty would've worked wonders for you and your product you are selling.  Why support someone financially if they are rude at times and lash out without any real provocation, and then do it to someone who is trying to help you? 

I can think of better ways of spending money, so to speak, such as go look for an alternative solution.
Totally agree with you there mchain :) the OP's attempts to insult Eddy's intelligence is very rude and immature yet it is the OP who fails to comprehend what a PUP is ::)

I would also think that if the OP has or is involving lawyers then that law firm should have also instructed the OP to keep his mouth shut as they would now be handling the issue in writing and any further involvement voiced by the OP in these forums regarding this issue will only be further detrimental to his claim.

chintan

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 03:00:51 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am big Fan of killer mobile products especially the TR which I am using from quite a  long time and its completely safe with private data...

I recently installed Avast Antivirus on my device was just shocked to see TR is flagged as PUP.

Avast guys I just want to know on what basis have you rated the TR software as PUP, please elaborate your algorithm on what basis it is flagged as PUP.

I must say TR is completely safe software!!! I need justification from AVAST guys on why TR is flagged as PUP and explain me what secretive things it does to be called as PUP.

VickyG

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 08:28:09 AM »
Com'on Chintan,
it is a program that goes to record every call you make and receive.
I'm also a TR user, but it is normal that your antimalware software should give you a warning!
I'd like avast to call my attention if a program goes to record my calls without my permission!
And they flag it as a potentially unwanted program, not as a malware 100% to put in quarantine immediately!
So i think avast does its job, the only problem that appear to be already fixed for the moment is that after you put TR in the whitelist, it should work.
If you do it, now the problem seems to be fixed.
I hope it is permanently fixed because i love both avast and TR and i'm sorry they have some argue.

Chintian, suppose you accidentally download a malware that records your call... would you like your antivirus claim your attention on it or not?

catalinc

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
I have been using Total Recall for the past 5 years without absolutely any problem and when it suddenly stopped few days ago, I was a bit irritated. I have contacted the devs and they told me there is a problem with Avast and if that I have that so-called "antivirus" installed, then that's the cause. They also told me about this thread.

After going trough all the posts, I have decided to reply because of 3 reasons:
1) All the guys who posted here replies WITHOUT HAVING ANY IDEA about what Total Recall is and how it really is the best product of it's kind of the market. You all say it's an "unwanted" software - really, who in the world would search in Android Market "call recorder" without having the intention to install such type of software?? The user is clearly aware about the fact the app is recording calls, that's why you install it!?!
- you say it's unsafe it stores call recordings - THIS IS WHAT I WANT.
- you say it's unsafe because other apps can steal the recordings (sensitive data) - really, it this reasonable thinking? Why doesn't Avast mark those apps as PUP, because those apps actually will access files they are not allowed to. Tell me this - if I install Gmail on my phone, will Avast mark Gmail as PUP because other apps can steal my emails? Really? I think @KillerMobile is right, they came here with a legit issue and all you guys only throw with rocks without even knowing what are you talking about.

2) I have been having issues with avast in the past too. I honestly don't remember why I have installed it on my phone, but if KillerMobile is right and they have tested and Total Recall is marked as PUP only because of it's name, without the app being analyzed in depth, then it means that my opinion that AVAST is a very very low quality AV software, is true. I have already uninstalled Avast and I will definitely suggest all my friends to do it.

It's not because I have something with your software, but really - reporting anything and randomly as PUP or malware or virus WITHOUT ANALYZING IT just to say "look how good Avast is, it reports a lot of problems" is definitely not a good practice for an AV software. It's normal for all AV tools to have false-positives, but not marking them as malware just because of the name. Your practices are disappointing and your software is not an antivirus, it's a joke.

3) "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" - the most utterly unuseful reply here on this thread - if you would've actually care what are you talking about (especially that puppet Eddy), you would've notice the following paragraph in Killermobile's first post:
We've already attempted to resolve the matter with them over the past few weeks and have simply been ignored.
As a web developer myself, I want to say I understand the developer's impatient reaction to this issue. I had my share or problems with completely legitimate websites being marked as Phising by some AV tools.
It is very disappointing that an unprofessional AV like Avast can have such an impact on people's LEGIT BUSINESS and incomes and THEY DON'T EVEN CARE. Hey, Avast, if you're reading - if you would've have replied to KillerMobile's emails, not only you would've had the chance to create a BETTER ANTIVIRUS, but you also would've avoided this thread, which clearly shows the quality of your product.

Bottom line, Avast truly tries to do it's job, but fails big time. Not having a proper support for such kind of issues definitely explains what kind of company they are. I wish you all the good luck, though, it once again has been proven to me that Avast's place as one of the last AV programs in the world is well worth.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:24:43 PM by catalinc »

catalinc

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
Btw, having to "Go Premium" in Avast to see more details about why Total Recall is marked as PUP is as unprofessional as the software itself. It reminds me of all those scams on the web where you would see "Free Something Here, just follow these steps" and when you finish, it says "Pay with PayPal to see the results".
As far as I'm aware, Avast might mark legit apps as PUP just to have users "Go Premium" to see more info about ... nothing! KillerMobile, maybe you can use this in court.