Author Topic: Avast! blocks valid programs  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Bizman

Avast! blocks valid programs
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
During the last month or two I've both heard and experienced that Avast! is blocking totally safe programs. It may even prevent downloading them. In my list there's at least one commercial Finnish bookkeeping program, Passeli. Cubase by Steinberg Software is another one, the using of which requires a dongle. Anyone ever heard about a virus requiring a dongle???  Both will install fine, but pretty soon the .exe of both of them will end up in quarantine. Today I learned, that Avast! prevents downloading the game AcesHigh by HiTech Creations. What makes these hard to pinpoint is that all three I mentioned have been around for years, over a decade or even several! The AcesHigh download prevention was even more puzzling, since I could download almost everything else from their Downloads, most of that being .exe files! I believe that's the problem with the ones who reported today that they can't run Battlefield 4 or SkyDemon.

I've found a workaround: If a download is restricted by Avast!, dropping the shields temporarily will help. For safe and legitimate programs getting quarantined, the cure is to put them on the Exclusions list.

Although the above mentioned tricks work, I believe it would be best for business to  fix this issue as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:32:38 PM by Bizman »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast! blocks valid programs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
If you are absolutely sure it's a false positive.
Use this to report a false positive.

You can always make an exclusion GUI>Settings>Antivirus>scroll down to and add your exclusion.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Bizman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
I am absolutely sure they are false positives and I have reported them from within Avast! while returning them from the quarantine. That was about a month ago, the AcesHigh issue happened during the last couple of days. It also isn't a glitch in the new version, IIRC I've seen this happen at least with v. 8 if not even with v. 7.

Making exclusions for programs that have been worldwide around for decades isn't a solution.

thejaxx

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »
That's hogwash.

I have submitted a particular file multiple times and it never gets added to the exclusion. I have now no choice but to uninstall Avast, a program I have now used for 9 years, because of the lack of user friendly usage. I can NO longer add files to the exclusion, no matter how often I click the link or what not, the file WILL NOT add.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
With v2014 there are different areas to place an exclusion.
File Path, URL, Deepscreen and Hardened Mode.
Try placing the exclusion in both the "file path" and the "url".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

thejaxx

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
I"m unable to find that. I did find the sandbox option and added it to that.

The issue is I had been running this particular version now for 5 months. And suddenly it decides it's a trojan, even though I compiled it myself.