Author Topic: Cant the software updater check for updates real-time or once 2-3 days atleast?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline DraKuL

I've noticed that uTorrent released an update 2-3 weeks ago and Avast software updater still hasnt picked it up. Chrome released a newer version like a week ago and again the SW updater hasnt picked it up  :-\   Would be awesome if it checks for updates real-time or atleast once 2-3 days..

Some might argue saying that theres no need for us to worry since we check for updates and install them manually, but the whole purpose of this is to make sure there are no security vulnerabilities in certain software installed by applying updates/patches.. It doesnt serve the purpose if its really late to detect updates..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Alievitan

Put in a support ticket.  The problems with the software updater has been posted already by multiple people in the forum.  Posting in the the forum isn't a very reliable method in actually reaching the Avast people with your problems. 

I have personally given up on the software update as reliable indicator of anything.  Chrome as you said as been outdated for weeks, I have seen Java outdated for days also, and as of right now Firefox and utorrent are outdated. 

I recommended Secunia, or Filehippo updater checker + Ninite to stay conveniently updated.   I dont use secunia, but you can set filehippo to check for updates daily, and then just use ninite when it detects something. 

Offline DraKuL

I actually check for updates manually  so I dont really need other third party apps, but thanks for recommending them, would definitely be useful in the future. The reason I posted this was to try and reach out to the Avast team and get an official response regarding this. (This is more like a suggestion) :) I always recommend Avast to all my clients and hope that it will keep getting better and better. Software updater is an awesome tool and I really hope they would fix it to make the most of it.
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Wildman

The software updater tells me Flash ActiveX needs to be updated. I have the most current version of this software and it is the same as the version indicated by the software updater. A refresh does not help. My WEB browser is Firefox 25.0.1.

Thanks,
Wildman

Wildman

It's still doing this so I have told it to ignore this update. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,
Wildman

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What avast version are you using as this sounds like you are using avast 8.0 ?

The avast 9.0 software updater no longer has the detailed version number displayed and seems to have less of an issue in this regard.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wildman

The avast 9.0 software updater no longer has the detailed version number displayed and seems to have less of an issue in this regard.

The version is Avast FREE 2014.9.0.2006.

Thanks,
Wildman

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster

Thanks,
Wildman

That's out of date.. the latest is version 9.0.2008. Right click the Avast tray icon>Update>Program. Once update is done it should ask you to reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Wildman

Thanks,
Wildman

That's out of date.. the latest is version 9.0.2008. Right click the Avast tray icon>Update>Program. Once update is done it should ask you to reboot.

Thanks> I updated but it still says I need to update Adobe Flash ActiveX, but I have the latest version of that product.

Thanks,
Wildman

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You could try uninstalling it using add remove programs/programs and features and reinstalling the flash player activeX version.

Get it direct from here, www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html, latest version - Flash Player 11.9.900.152 according to that page. The internet Explorer version is the activeX one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wildman

Think I'll just use the ignore option in Avast as everything else appears to be working as it should. Firefox also shows the Adobe Flash player as being up to date. Perhaps the next version of Avast will have fixed this.

Thanks,
Wildman