Author Topic: Avast constantly bombs me with nagging about entering SafeZone  (Read 5337 times)

Offline peha

Avast constantly bombs me with nagging about entering SafeZone
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
Nearly every web page I enter gets the annoying orange popup line from avast nagging me to enter SafeZone. This at the same time bombs the content of some pages. Even these forum pages gets this behaviour.
When I could need the SafeZone the "Safe" browser Chrome crashes all the time.

Help how can I turn this useless stuff off. Im on the verge of switching to another antivirus.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast constantly bombs me with nagging about entering SafeZone
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "change">(de)select what you want>reboot.

If you untick safezone it will no longer function unless you reverse the above procedure.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

markblanco

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
I don't want to get rid of safezone. I use it with my paid version of Avast Internet Security. I just don't want the nag banner (it's actually up right now on this page) on every single website I go to. I'd prefer to hot-key switch to safezone when I choose.

Having the ability to simply turn the recommendation banner off would be much more secure than having to uninstall part of the product.

Offline Jaggwire

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »
I agree with Bullseye . . . I should not have to uninstall part of the product in order to ignore parts of it when I choose. Part of the issue is that it disrupts the page beneath it, as was pointed out. THAT is a problem. I am a very busy woman, and I don't want to have to close the bar and reload the page. A hotkey switch would be nice, but sending it back to the developer to fix the disruption issue would be even better--and most highly suggested.

Trish

kodl

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
It looks like another of many problem with Avast. Bad thing is (usually) nobody bother to answer and post fix for them.

propheticus

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
That's not true Kodl, there's plenty of people trying to help/answer. Most answers are by fellow users though. If they don't know... they don't respond. Also many problems get posted multiple times by people that don't use the search function. See the current IE problem with the Online security plugin. After you've answered to 3 or 4 of these with the same answer the motivation to post the same instruction yet another time diminishes.
If you want help from an Avast employee you're better of opening a ticket.

Offline NashMom

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »
I was having this same problem.  I first noticed it when I went to my bank site. The switch banner came up, and problem was, IF I switched to safe zone, I then could not go anywhere within the Safe Zone browser -- nothing but a blank page no matter what (Google.com, Avast.com, any site). Then it (the switch banner) started nagging me everywhere. 

Not sure if this will work for everyone, and I admit I'm not that geeky a gal, but I finally figured out a solution that is working for me. (It did not, by the way, solve the problem for me to change the settings in the Avast program directly, under tools > Safe Zone).

What finally did it for me was -- and this is in Firefox (latest browser update, 26.0) -- to open the Avast Online Security Settings from the browser (it's a green circle-y sort of icon on the main toolbar). I clicked on that, and at the bottom, went to "settings," and from there, I unchecked the "SafeZone" box.

Just throwing that out there in case it helps someone. Like I said, this is what finally did the trick for me.

UPDATE:  I apologize. I thought that took care of things, but the box keeps getting re-checked, sooner or later, no matter how often you uncheck and save settings from the browser thing.

So... *finally* finally (let's hope) I just disabled the Avast Online Security extension (Firefox toolbar > Tools > Add-ons > Extensions).   If it returns at this point, then Avast is haunting my Firefox browser. lol (By the way, I was able, throughout this, to go to my banking site with no problem via Chrome; didn't try IE.)

This extra bit of security would be terrific IF it actually only arose when accessing sites such as banking, PayPal, shopping sites, and such. And then, it would be terrific IF it would then actually allow you to actually access said sites instead of a blank browser window (which pretty much defeats its purpose, I'd say.)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:43:35 PM by NashMom »

jfjago

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
Thank you !
It was really annoying.

JF