Author Topic: Avast broke down Win 7! Need help!  (Read 4942 times)

mazzur

Avast broke down Win 7! Need help!
« on: December 13, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
Hi folks!
I need your help. I scheduled hard scan by avast in next boot. Then i restart my computer, avast started its scanning. It found 3 dangerous files, unfortunately I "told" avast to quarantine to all such files. When I realised what I have done I click immediately "esc", but system didint start. So, whats next? I need to restore these files via cmd in lunch startup repair center. But: I dont remember what are these files, and most important where are these files. Could anyone help me?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast broke down Win 7! Need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
Try to boot in safe-mode.
If you succeed, start avast and you can restore the files from there.
But why do want to restore "dangerous" files?
What is your real problem?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
If you can boot you will find the files in the virus chest.
GUI>Scan>lower right corner you will find "Virus Chest">click to open>right click on the file>click "restore"  :)

Can you access the command line using safe mode, tapping F8 repeatedly, during reboot?

Word of warning...boot scan should only be done if avast recommends running one.
I haven't ran a boot scan in years.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
1) But why do want to restore "dangerous" files?
2) What is your real problem?

1) They might be either important or vital.
2) That is what we are trying to figure out.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

mazzur

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »
Well guys now I know that boot scan is not a good idea:) My win does not even start in safe mode:/ I can only:
- automaticly fix problem
- restore system
- restore iso of system (menu is in polish I have to translate it for you)
- memory diagnostic
- cmd - command line, or sth like that - similar to console in linux
- dell data safe restore and emergency back up

This is girlfriend's computer so I have no backup of working system.
I can not even start avast - so restore is not possible - for now, for me...

mazzur

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »
I dont know what were these files - I only know, that after quarantine system broke down and it doesnt cooperate. So I suppose that restoring of these files will fix my problem, am I right?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
You might be looking at a complete reformat. Sorry.

edit: Did you by any chance make a rescue disk? If you did you should be able to reboot using a rescue disk.
        Making a rescue disk is the first thing anyone should do when using a "fresh" computer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:17:44 PM by Para-Noid »

mazzur

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:20:14 PM »
Well I do know that but the owner... :)
Gf is just using. Really? No chance? Format?
Do you know where avast separate infected files?

mazzur

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:06 PM »
I finally found awsBoot.txt which is avast report from that scan. It contains reports from two las scans. Important info is:
- an OLE archive is damaged
- an CAB archive is damaged
- files from c:\Program Files (x86)\MagniPic were put under quarantine

Is this could be a reason of break down?

olddog

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
..Word of warning...boot scan should only be done if avast recommends running one.

The boot scan function is provided as an option without any warnings, so a user is entitled to expect to be able to use it the same as any of the other scan types. There is no warning in the description about not using the function unless directed to do so by Avast.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »
..Word of warning...boot scan should only be done if avast recommends running one.

The boot scan function is provided as an option without any warnings, so a user is entitled to expect to be able to use it the same as any of the other scan types. There is no warning in the description about not using the function unless directed to do so by Avast.

Yeah, I know that. The boot scan is provided if any user needs to run such a scan.
Normally a user will find a weekly "quick scan" and a monthly "full scan" is sufficient.
If after a scan avast recommends the user run a boot scan it's a good idea to do so.

Personally I would like to see avast add something to the effect, "a boot scan should only be run if avast recommends it".

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
I finally found awsBoot.txt which is avast report from that scan. It contains reports from two las scans. Important info is:
- an OLE archive is damaged
- an CAB archive is damaged
- files from c:\Program Files (x86)\MagniPic were put under quarantine

Is this could be a reason of break down?

Did a "Google" search and found these...
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/13u7t-does-ole-archive-corrupted-mean-also.html
http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/988948-how-fix-corrupted-archives.html
http://erroranswers.com/installer-error/how-to-fix-a-cab-error-so-you-can-install-programs/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_Linking_and_Embedding

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
MagniPic:
This infection is designed specifically to make money. It generates web traffic, collects sales leads for other dubious sites, and will display advertisements and sponsored links within your web browser. MagniPic it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience.

I would first try the "automatic fix problem", if that works you can boot the system normally (or in safe mode) again and take on problems from there.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:11:00 AM by Eddy »