Author Topic: Problems with Avast 2014 program update--Avast online security settings.  (Read 12876 times)

pompste

Some pages are not opening properly and some not at all after installing Avast 2014 program update.I`ve narrowed it down to AVAST ONLINE SECURITY SETTINGS.When i disable all avast online security settings from the little icon in the upper right hand corner all pages load properly.Problem is also that avast online security settings set back to default settings after the browser is closed and then reopened.That`s a hassle i don`t need and i`m looking for another antivirus program.
Is there any way to permanently disable or remove the Avast online security setting program?

doctordeaf

Re: Problems with Avast 2014 program update--Avast online security settings.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
I'm having the same problem. The default settings are breaking many websites and there appears to be no way of saving the setting to turn off features?

Is your version also forcing you to submit data to Avast unless you opt out every time you open the browser  :-\

Cheers,
DD
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:15:14 AM by doctordeaf »

pompste

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »
Yes it submits data to avast unless i disable it,but as you the avast online security settings set back to default settings after browser is closed and the opened.That is a hassle i don`t want.
If there was a way to permanently remove/disable the avast online security settings feature,i`d keep Avast,but since there does`nt seem to be a way to do that,i`m looking at other antivirus programs.
I think many other people that are having problems with the avast 2014 program update also comes down to the "default Avast online security settings" they just don`t know it yet.

olddog

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
... that avast online security settings set back to default settings after the browser is closed and then reopened.

If you are using the current version of Firefox (25.0.1) then the AOS settings will stick if you have the cookie setting as shown in the attached screen shot.

olddog

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
If there was a way to permanently remove/disable the avast online security settings feature...

Firefox:  Tools->Add-Ons->Extensions->Avast On Line Security->Disable.
IE10:   Tools->Manage Add ons->Avast Software-Avast Online Security (4 items on 64bit system)->Disable.

Note: This may reduce your overall protection.

pompste

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
If there was a way to permanently remove/disable the avast online security settings feature...

Firefox:  Tools->Add-Ons->Extensions->Avast On Line Security->Disable.
IE10:   Tools->Manage Add ons->Avast Software-Avast Online Security (4 items on 64bit system)->Disable.

Note: This may reduce your overall protection.

Thanks much! I disabled the AOS settings add on in firefox and all seems well again.It was already disabled in IE by default so no problems there.
Glad i read your info first, as i was just about to remove Avast and install another antivirus.

jfee

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:36:05 PM »
I have had problems with an XP Pro PC since installing Avast2014.  I run 2014.9.0.2008 in a LAN. 

I already have had to uninstall Avast2014 on a W7 Home Premium PC because I could not manage the built-in firewall and I could not find a way of disabling it. Worse than that it missed a trojan in an email.  I sent a ticket and was told by Avast that nothing was perfect, or words to that effect. 

Everything is running slowly now on my XP machine although it is basically a fast machine with a Q9650. Even short-cutting to 'My Documents' is slow. Access to other PCs on the LAN and to the printer is unbearably slow - sometimes the machine just freezes. 

I am on the point of uninstalling Avast from this PC. Sadly, I bought 2 years worth of Avast for 3 machines! 

John

vega

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »
the update broke online security for FireFox 25 on my Windows 7 64bit system. It shows as incompatible. repair, uninstall, go back to the previous version it still is broke. It has also somehow installed a monitor in action center you cannot turn off or ignore without ignoring both the firewall and spyware.

System restore was the only fix. I guess I'm going to have to turn auto-updates off in Avast, and wait to see what problems the updates create before updating the software.

saarf

Using IE10 on Windows 7 my pages were not displaying the banner ads or other ad boxes on the pages. Instead the Google type ad URLs were listed in the back button list thus causing the URL back button to not work properly.

Narrowed my problem down to having to disable Avast on line security add on, as mentioned in a post above. Now the back button works normally and I do not see the ad URL in the list. I can again use the back button with one click to go back to the previous page.

Found a lot of suggestions on the web to fix this but none worked for me till I did the above. hope this helps others.