Author Topic: Adverts at boot up.  (Read 3017 times)

Davy

Adverts at boot up.
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
Avast pro is getting too much.

I have been getting pop up adverts from Avast, every time I boot the machine - is there a way to stop this? It's either try VPN this or the other.

Please NOTE:
I said at boot up, I ALSO get adverts during program updates - how low can Avast get?

These appear a few seconds after boot up.

Dave

olddog

Re: Adverts at boot up.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
I have been getting pop up adverts from Avast, every time I boot the machine - is there a way to stop this? It's either try VPN this or the other.

I ALSO get adverts during program updates?

I think this is a repeat of a bug which was supposed to be fixed a while ago. The wrong pop up occurs when the VPS file has been updated (it's supposed to notify you of the update, but instead show the advert).

I am also seeing these adds after a VPS update, where as I was seeing the correct notification recently.

I have no idea how closely Avast development team follow this forum, so I would suggest you submit a ticket. That will ensure it gets on the list to be looked at.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
@ Davy
A browse of the forums would see many such topics, this is just one, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140531.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Davy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
Thanks olddog......

DavidR if it's a known problem why ain't there a 'sticky?  I wish I did have the time to go rootin n' tootin. Why ain't it solved and WHEN it WILL BE solved, is that answerable?

Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
Don't ask me, I'm an avast user just like you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Davy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:00:22 PM »
Righto, I can appreciate that. I'll put a ticket in.

Dave

Don't ask me, I'm an avast user just like you.

Davy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »
Ticket submitted.

Just had another one as I booted, "Make yourself invisible" down at the bottom right white background with blue writing.

Not good enough Avast, this software is getting too intrusive...!

Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:43:56 AM »
Shortly after boot is when you are likely to get a VPS update as your system has been off for some time and update may have been released during that period.

So this is still a symptom of the bug with auto update notifications.
1. no auto update notification popup (commonly displays an avast! tip - Ad, instead).
2. no audio voice over for the auto update.
3. the popup delay timings don't appear to work either.
These tips popups have in the past been piggybacked with the auto update update notification, so the only way to get rid of them would be to disable the auto update notification, which if you want the update notification (when it works correctly) would remove everything.

Davy

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:30 PM »
Nope no, problems at all with virus def. update, voice sounds OK too just the VPN - Virtual Private Network

Thanks anyway for the reply, it does kinda makes sense now.... and indeed Avast doesn't use public servers to dispatch their updates.

These bugs raises loads of questions about Avast, think I will just leave it at that because I'm waiting to what the response is to my ticket, I've given them until Wednesday or I will give Avira or NOD32 a try.... to hell with whats left of my subscription.

I just wanna use my computer unhindered, the way I want and NO questions asked, Avast is fast becoming intrusive with one bug after another.... and I ain't apologizing  Avast ought to be doing just that!

Dave
Dave