Author Topic: DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged  (Read 65972 times)

coolsilver

Re: DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
I've seen this issue as far back as Avast 5. It hasn't gotten any attention. At times they have patched it enough to solve most of the occurrences for people. Most just deal with it or have little idea what is causing the issue. Probably blame their internet provider or games or whatever else as being the issue.

propheticus

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »
I've created a support ticket on december 6th to which I still have had no reply. I've updated the ticket today in the hope they are/become aware of this issue and maybe to get an official reply on the matter.

Sa[i]reS

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Eh, I have the same problems with my AIS 2014.9.0.2013 (why is so big version number ?  :o) (Thread at this forum)
In my case Avast support can't resolve my problem with high dpc.
But I have some idea about this issue...
Please, answer on my question, are you disabled the windows firewall service or switched it on automatically load (delayed) service state or something like this?

propheticus

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
When I had Avast Firewall installed I disabled the Windows firewall but did not touch the firewall service (so it still auto started). I've also tried disabling the firewall service from starting earlier, but this did not solve the DPC latency. 

Monchesco

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
It seems is a windows 8.1 problem,  my sound card is Creative X-Fi Audio, and have the same problem.  Diactivate the firewall didnĀ“t work for me.  Very sad, I just subscribe two machines for two years...

propheticus

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »
I've had these issues since Windows 7 and there's other users on Win 7 reporting the same problems with the firewall and sound stuttering as well. I don't think it's limited to Win 8.1.

zerotox

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »
I think Avast is well aware of the problem but unfortunately I think they simply can't resolve it. Their firewall is awful since the beginning, no matter how many "fixes, updates, etc." were introduced. I think it is not by chance that they bought a driver from Outpost (meaning simply that you don't have the capacity to develop your own). And then they don't use it because it is flawed - well why don't you first test and check before you buy (and then through away). It's a pity for otherwise a fine product. Avira also had problems with their firewall and I think they made the right choice abandoning their firewall in favor of the Windows build-in one. Well, that wasn't good only for XP users but with Microsoft stopping security updates and patches in April...

Sa[i]reS

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
My windows firewall service was switched off...
_
Unfortunately, I had bought licence of AIS at 3 year for 3 pc.
And now, I'm not sure that they can fix this problem.
So, I had uninstalled the AIS firewall and my problem is gone. After this I just installed comodo firewall and all is ok.
But it's not good.
For what I need AIS, if I can simple use comodo internet security for free and without bugged firewall?
_
At the screenshot you can see uptime of my pc is about a 57 hours and DPC for this uptime without AIS firewall...

AdrianH

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »
If you are having these sound problems this tool may be very interesting to you http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon there is a free download for home use.

It shows up some interesting stats which might help.

Sa[i]reS

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
Thank you very much, but I've used this utility, which shows me that the main problem with ndis.sys.
Here some screenshots with AIS firewall.

propheticus

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
Just as a FYI to fellow users with this problem: The DPC firewall issue has not been fixed in the 2014-9.0.2014 beta. Save yourself the trouble of reinstalling.

zerotox

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Well, it's not a surprise and I don't think it will ever be fixed as it's flawed in its core code I think. The implementation of the network driver is horrible. The only way in my opinion is to rewrite the firewall from scratch, otherwise as I mentioned above, there will be numerous fixes and updates as there are until now, providing no solution.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 03:23:33 PM »
Hm, haven't they done so already? I remember they were rewriting firewall entirely for v2014...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

propheticus

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
Which did not fix it.

soulstace

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »
Sorry your issue isn't getting addressed.  At least the Windows firewall is fairly secure on its own.  That's what I'm using at the moment, because I never could find a perfect 3rd-party firewall.  I would have recommended Comodo (free) but IMO they ruined the user interface in version 6