Author Topic: DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged  (Read 65975 times)

propheticus

DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:46:38 AM »
After an uptime of several hours my pc's audio would become choppy and started crackling whenever I would load a webpage. Listening to music while surfing became very annoying. After running the LatencyMon app I found the main culprit to be the NDIS.SYS driver which is responsible for the on-board Realtek GBe PCIe NIC. The DPC latencies would spike each time network traffic was active.
While googling I found some people pointing to the BFE as a possible culprit. Disabling and re-enabling the base filtering engine service did cause the same stuttering as the network traffic did, but it did not (temporarily) solve the crackle like it did for some others. The only remedy was rebooting the pc.
Using a torrent client seemed to make the effect occur sooner. So I then wondered if Avast's web shield could be the source of the issue (knowing BFE is used for filtering/safety features) and uninstalled Avast to test this. Lo and behold; No more sound crackle!

Long story short: uninstalling Avast solved my sound stutter/crackling with network traffic after a long system up-time.

Until this is fixed I'll use Windows 8.1's built in Defender as my virus scanner and Windows firewall as my firewall so that I'm able to enjoy my music.

Win 8.1 pro N x64
Avast internet security 2014.9.0.2008
Realtek RTL 8168 NIC (on gigabyte ga-p35c-ds3r)

p.s.: Before you ask. Yes all my drivers were up to date. I cleaned all drivers residues and tried the latest realtek drivers as well as window's own drivers (device manager: remove hardware -> then add new hardware driver download dialogue). Neither solved the issue.

EDIT: Removing the firewall from avast solved the issue for now. Consider this option if you are faced with the same issue and nothing else helps!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:31:17 AM by propheticus »

propheticus

Re: DPC latency issue (ndis.sys driver?) with network traffic
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »
Still no crackling sound after 17 hours of uptime, several sleep/wake cycles, torrenting, browsing and http downloads etc, etc.... I'm pretty sure uninstalling Avast IS 2014 is what finally solved the problem I could not fix by uninstalling->cleaning->reinstalling Avast and/or network+audio drivers.

To Users with audio issues: Beware, Avast could be the cause
To the Developers: Heads up, Windows 8.1 + Avast IS 2014 causes issues (High DPC routine execution time in NDIS.sys driver which causes sound stuttering/crackling and choppy video/games. Possibly related to Base filtering engine -> firewall?)

*edit: to be more precise, I suspect the Firewall function. I've reinstalled Avast! IS without the firewall and so far no issues...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:56:04 PM by propheticus »

lexus232

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »
are devs aware of this bug?

propheticus

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:56:41 AM »
Honestly, I'm not getting the impression they are...

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »
Honestly, I'm not getting the impression they are...

Have you tried checking if there are any "corrupt" Avast NDIS drivers in Device Manager... You'll need to see the hidden plug'n'play folder IIRC.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

propheticus

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:32 AM »
Nope, no corrupt drivers/devices. Not one question mark or exclamation point (with view ->  "show hidden devices" ticked on)

I've submitted a ticket drawing their attention to the firewall issues.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:28:07 AM by propheticus »

Offline Zdenek

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »
Please, can you check if your NIC driver (Realtek) is latest available for your OS? If not, please try to upgrade the driver and check results.

Thanx

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
Hi Zdenek,

User tried to update all drivers on his PC but still no luck. Removing firewall will solve sound problem, we have already tried to use the latest beta but still no luck. And both users in Russian subforum with this issue have windows 8.1 installed. Users said that sound crackling appears only after 2-3 hours after turning PC on.
You can watch video with this issue here: http://youtu.be/1JkdnSrZqRI

We have already reported about this issue here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141407.0

propheticus

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Please, can you check if your NIC driver (Realtek) is latest available for your OS? If not, please try to upgrade the driver and check results.

Thanx

Yes, I've installed (after removing old drivers and cleaning remnants with driver fusion) the latest drivers from their site. The newest drivers for win 8.1 are from 26 november, I've installed the latest drivers last Sunday. The reported driver version in device manager: 8.20.815.2013.
p.s.: Before you ask. Yes all my drivers were up to date. I cleaned all drivers residues and tried the latest realtek drivers as well as window's own drivers (device manager: remove hardware -> then add new hardware driver download dialogue). Neither solved the issue.
This did not solve anything. Only removing the firewall does.

I understand you need to trouble-shoot this and eliminate all possible causes, but I'm an ICT expert that normally fixes problems like these for clients... You can expect me to have updated every driver/program before even posting about the problem here. I've even tried disabling ipv6 in the adapter settings, disabling CPU-throttling and core parking*, disabling all power saving features*, using Microsoft update supplied default NIC drivers, etc, etc.
*: known to be possible causes of DPC spikes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:50:34 PM by propheticus »

dqdb

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »
Problem confirmed on Windows 8 x64 in 2014.9.0.2008 and on Windows 8.1 x64 (it was a clean reinstall, not an upgrade) in 2014.9.0.2008 and 2014.9.0.2009. The network adapter is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 with latest drivers installed, so it is not a Realtek-only issue.

Without using hibernation the problem occurs after 7-8 hours uptime, and after resuming from a hibernation audio glitches appear almost immediately and over time, more and more often occurs. On-board sound card behaves a bit better than a USB audio device.

Today morning I uninstalled the firewall part of Avast (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Change > unchecked the feature > restart) and it seems everything is ok  (or only for now?).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:12:08 PM by dqdb »

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
We found a solution, disabling port scan detection in firewall settings will solve sound problems. Hope, it'll be fixed soon.

propheticus

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
Not needed anyway, my router already has port attack detection (anti DDOS & portscan) features. I've been free of problems after >2 days uptime without the Avast firewall now. I'll try your suggestion, install the firewall again and disable the port scanning. I'll monitor my DPC latency and sound problems the next couple of days to see if the problems don't return.

Thanks for sharing the info!

edit: too bad, installing the Avast firewall with port scan detection disabled still resulted in issues. See screenshots for the situation when I'm downloading via torrent + browsing in Chrome. Problems are in ndis.sys & aswNdisFlt.sys and to a lesser extent tcip.sys and NETIO.SYS. These problems don't go away with the AOS browser extension disabled. I'm removing the Avast firewall again....

edit2: see third picture for same situation, all the same programs opened but without Avast firewall (Windows firewall is ON). All is okay again and DPC stays low.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:32:06 PM by propheticus »

dqdb

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
We found a solution, disabling port scan detection in firewall settings will solve sound problems.
No, it doesn't.

I have similar LatencyMon results like propheticus. DPC is much higher immediately after boot with Avast firewall (3-4x than without it).

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
Hi guys,

it's working only for one user which had similar problem (but he had sound crackling only after 2-3 hours after turning PC on, disabling port scan detection in firewall settings solved his sound problem), but it's not working for other users. So, I don't know any way how to fix this bug except it'll be fixed by avast! team.

dqdb

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
2014.9.0.2010: same issue after only 3 hours.

My trial period ends Tuesday so I remove Avast and end up hoping testing. I'm trying to replace a very buggy KIS on all family computers after that license expires in January, but ironically the competitors seem to be buggy on the same level (Avast is not the first entry on the failed list).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:08:21 PM by dqdb »