Author Topic: DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged  (Read 65980 times)

propheticus

Re: DPC latency issue (ndis.sys driver?) with network traffic
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
I can reproduce this issue almost immediately after rebooting by starting a Torrent client (qBittorrent) and browse the web (Chrome) at the same time. The new beta version 9.0.2010 did not chance this.

propheticus

Re: DPC latency issue (ndis.sys driver?) with network traffic
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:41 AM »
Just an update that version 9.0.2011 did not solve this issue. The Avast firewall is still b0rked and causes massive DPC spikes while the standard windows 8.1 pro firewall does not.

What kind of info would you need from me to be able to identify the problem within the AIS 2014 firewall? A processdump, logfiles, etc? I'd gladly provide info.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:26:32 AM by propheticus »

Magnik

Re: DPC latency issue with network traffic - Firewall bugged
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
Bump

propheticus

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
What Magnik is probably trying to say is that this issue is still present in the latest version (9.0.2013), and I concur.
This problem hasn't been solved!

PaulRym

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 01:24:41 AM »
I have just installed Avast Internet Security today and I also encountered this issue. It doesnt matter with what I play audio, the crackling always appears while browsing web pages or mostly any other what nots like that.

Disabling the firewall or the port scan detection did not help.
This needs to be addressed, meanwhile I will have to revert to Avast Free Antivirus which I have been using for a long time without any issues.
It will probably be a while, which makes my license useless in the meantime.

AdrianH

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
Is this specific to certain audio drivers?

I have Realtek Audio on several machines, and my laptop . Both Win7 and Win8 , audio/video from disc or streamed via browser/YouTube are fine. I never get any issues with sound.

PaulRym

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
I have Realtek Audio also. After uninstalling the firewall component in Avast everything works normal. I have Internet Security installed but without the Firewall component.
The wireless adapter is Atheros AR9485. I have not tried using an Ethernet cable to see if the problem occurs while using it and not the wireless adapter. The sound problem appears on streamed audio (youtube or online radio) more than on audio played from the disk.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:12:17 PM by PaulRym »

dprout69

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
Win 7 64 bit Realtek audio,  free avast version so no firewall and I get a similar issue with audio after a certain amount of time

AdrianH

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
Win 7 64 bit Realtek audio,  free avast version so no firewall and I get a similar issue with audio after a certain amount of time

Which indicates it is not the firewall , I noted that other people with Avast Pro said they had this problem.

I have tested with both wireless and ethernet on my systems, and today my sons Win7 AIS system has been running YouTube music videos for 4 hours straight and no hint of a problem.

PaulRym

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
There has to be a common item amongst all of us. Is there any kind of report that would be useful? A Belarc report maybe? I will make one of myself and host it online when I get home, of course erasing the sensitive bits of info :), maybe just the system specs. I dunno, I'm just saying if someone from Avast answers and says we are too few to matter, I will drop it and that's that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:01:47 PM by PaulRym »

dqdb

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
Avast IS (with Outpost-based firewall): audio problems
Avast Pro AV + Outpost Pro 9.0 FW: audio problems
Avast Pro AV + Windows built-in FW: everyting is ok
MSE + Outpost Pro 9.0 FW: everything is ok

Next round will be Avast Free + Outpost Pro 9.1 FW.

Tested audio configurations:
1. integrated Realtek ALC1200 + AV receiver via TOSLink
2. integrated Realtek ALC1200 + high-end DAC/headamp via TOSLink
3. entry-level DAC/headamp via USB
4. high-end DAC/headamp via async USB
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:43:03 PM by dqdb »

propheticus

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »

Which indicates it is not the firewall , ...

No it does not. That many people have realtek audio is caused by the fact 80% of motherboards with onboard audio use Realtek chips.
I'm using a dedicated soundcard (asus xonar dg) and have these problems. So it's not limited to Realtek soundcards.
That a person without the firewall has the same issue, does not automatically mean the problem therefore is never caused by it for others. There might be more possible causes of the same symptom.

DPC spikes and the associated audio stuttering can be caused by:
  • Faulty USB drivers/controller
  • Faulty Soundcard drivers
  • IRQ conflicts
  • CPU energy saving throttling mechanisms
  • Faulty network card drivers
  • Choking of network interface
  • Nvidia powermizer drivers
  • etc...etc
I have tested with both wireless and ethernet on my systems, and today my sons Win7 AIS system has been running YouTube music videos for 4 hours straight and no hint of a problem.
Congratulations! Again your reasoning fails, one case of someone not having a problem does not dismiss the problem others are having. You're making very fundamental logical fallacies.

For me it's simple:
If I install the Avast firewall -> Issues (related to the ndis.sys & aswNdisFlt.sys, the latter being Avast's filter)
If I remove the Avast firewall and use the win 8.1 firewall -> No issues (ndis.sys behaves normally)

The only thing that changed was the firewall...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:32:04 PM by propheticus »

AdrianH

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
You miss the point that you clearly state this issue is caused by the avast firewall.

1) very few people report the problem , for the majority there is no such issue . Hardly a case of one person not having an issue.

2) the problem manifests itself on systems not using avast firewall , there are more reports on systems using avast free and Pro .

3) I have installed avast9 on over 100 systems in the workshop and seen no problem. At home I have 3 systems Win7 and Win8 that do not have the problem  and I asked about drivers etc, to see if there was something common causing this for the people that report a problem.

4) " For me it's simple:
If I install the Avast firewall -> Issues (related to the ndis.sys & aswNdisFlt.sys, the latter being Avast's filter)
If I remove the Avast firewall and use the win 8.1 firewall -> No issues (ndis.sys behaves normally)  "

So that makes you right, and everyone else wrong .......... I was trying to help these guys, you always just whine and pout.

propheticus

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Twas not about right or wrong. The "for me it's simple" was meant as an "in my case", and I used to counter the statements about you not having the problem on a couple of pcs.
The fact that many people do not encounter issues (or notice them) doesn't have to mean there is no problem at all, does it? There's more people reporting this issue. The strange thing is other firewalls do not cause issue. Changing only 1 parameter, installing the avast firewall, makes the issues re-appear. So either other firewalls don't trigger an issue that already exists with my/our pc(s) and avast's firewall does, or the avast firewall has a flaw that only manifests on some combinations of hard- and or software.

You always just whine and pout.... always? really?

PaulRym

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
There are actually two choices here:
Either we report the issue and hope it gets fixed, or we stop using the product causing the problem, obviously not paying for it anymore.
It's not like I'm gonna start fixing avast.
And this is not such a small matter.  Media becomes unplayable. Either it is from online sources or offline ones. Kind of a big deal in my opinion.