Author Topic: Strange (scan)problems when trying to perform a scan via Windows explorer  (Read 4565 times)

Martin71

Hi there!

I've a strange problem with AIS. How and when it started, I do not know, only that it has something to do when trying to perform a scan via Windows Explorer. Please see image "scan image.jpg". As shown, I have aside from scan options like quick scan ("snelle scan" in Dutch) scan options "????" (3 times in this image). These are added every time I try to do scan as mentioned before. I can't configure or remove them. Moreover, when I try remove it, another "????" is added (I now have four "????". I am unable to rename a single one "????" and configuring it's settings.

As for the scan itself, is doesn't seem to do anything, see image "windows explorer scan".
In short:
1) how do I remove permanently the redundant scans named "????"
2) how do I properly execute a scan of a folder/file via windows explorer? (normally this would be like: right-click on a file/folder then execute)

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Greetz,
Martin71
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:07:02 PM by Martin71 »

Martin71

Re: Strange (scan)problems when trying to perform a scan via Windows explorer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Apparently, there's no solution to this harmless, yet annoying problem, since there's no response. I may try another suite next year.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
How did you install avast!Internet Security 9.0.2008 ?

Was it an upgrade from avast free or other avast version ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

olddog

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:51:27 AM »
Apparently, there's no solution to this harmless, yet annoying problem, since there's no response. I may try another suite next year.

I seem to recall something like this occurring when you Restore settings into a new version that were saved in a previous version.
I don't recall whether the fix was simply doing a repair, or whether it needed a file or folder deleted first. Maybe someone else will have better luck with the search function.

Martin71

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
How did you install avast!Internet Security 9.0.2008 ?

Was it an upgrade from avast free or other avast version ?
Yes, it was an upgrade from a previous AIS (version 8 I believe).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
You can try an avast Repair, but I suspect that won't work so a clean reinstall would probably be needed.

- Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

If that doesn't resolve it:
- Download the latest AIS version of avast, 9.0.2008  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Note: save the copy of avastclear.exe so it can be reused as some users are reporting that after running it, it is self-deleting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Martin71

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I actually tried to repair AIS in the matter you described, but that didn't work, as you have suspected. Will try option 2 and get back to you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
You're welcome.

Martin71

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Your 2nd suggestion worked.

1) I uninstalled AIS -> rebooted -.ran the avast! Uninstall Utility (safe mode)->rebooted.
2) I then installed AIS again (without safezone!), and in the process entered the license file.

Everything is back in working order, without those strange "????" scanoptions. Also, scanning from within windows explorer is running normally again.

Again, thanks for your help DavidR. You may close this topic.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Generally topics remain open, they quickly drop down the chronological order of topics (out of sight out of mind).

Martin71

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
Ok, understood. I'm glad with this lively community and yes, with AIS too