Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe keeps closing  (Read 5568 times)

TURTLE

ashWebSv.exe keeps closing
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:10:52 AM »
Hi, I am new to all of this, and I'm not sure where to post this question. I have just installed avast 4.6 home and I am having a problem with something. I have windows XP with SP 2 installed.

I am repeatedly getting this message = ashWebSv.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I had Norton Antivirus 2005 installed when this happened the first few times. I have un-installed Norton and the problem is still there.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to the cause of this problem? Please feel free to email me as I'm not at all sure that I will ever be able to find my way back to this post.

Thank for any help. Mickey

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ashWebSv.exe keeps closing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:47:54 AM »
Are there any files in the <avast>\data\log folder called unpXXXX (XXXX is a random number)? If so, please ZIP them up and send them to my email address.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

TURTLE

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 11:44:45 PM »
Hi, Thank you for responding to my question. Like I said at the start, I am new to all of this, and I'm going to need some help. Yes there are several of those "upnxxxxx.mdmp" files in that folder. I have never had to do this before, so please bare with me. I will need a walk through on how to go about getting those files zipped up and into an email. Then I am not too sure of how to find your email address. Please tell me where to look for it. Thank you for any help. Mickey

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 03:44:47 AM »
Yes there are several of those "upnxxxxx.mdmp" files in that folder.
Choose the last (newer) two ones, for instance.

I will need a walk through on how to go about getting those files zipped up and into an email.
You'll need WinZip application (www.winzip.com), download and install it (it's a shareware but you can test it), then right click the files and choose 'Add to a Zip file' into the context menu. Open your email program and start a new email (Arquive > New). Probably inserting the zip files as attachment into this message (Insert > Attach or something like that).

Then I am not too sure of how to find your email address.
In the envelope icon bellow Vlk's picture: vlk@avast.com
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 04:38:19 PM »
OK folks, I *think* we have found the culprit!!  And we have created a fix that should solve it.

Anyone who has experienced this particular problem (ashWebSv.exe crashing - or in other words, the Web Scanner Service terminating unexpectedly), we strongly encourage you to try out this fix.

How to install it:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of avast (4.6.665 at this moment)
2. Stop the WebShield provider in avast (double-click the avast tray icon, push the "Details >>" button, scroll to WebShield and click Terminate).
3. Download the following file http://www2.asw.cz/misc/ashwebsv.zip and extract its contents to the avast folder. If asked, confirm overwriting of the file ashWebSv.exe
4. Restart the WebShield provider.

Be sure to let us know if it helped.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Umath

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:29:22 PM »
Thank you, Vlk.  I’ll try this and tell you if the problem happens again.

BTW, did I write something problematic?  ???  I think I made a post about zipping in XP but I see it disappeared somehow.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 07:28:25 PM »
BTW, did I write something problematic?  ???  I think I made a post about zipping in XP but I see it disappeared somehow.
I think not, only you could delete your own posts.
So, you've click the delete buttom by accident or, maybe, the Moderators did it by accident too...
Nothing to worry that much  8)
The best things in life are free.

TURTLE

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »
Hi, Thanks to everyone who worked on this. OK, so far I figured out how to download that file.

It put it's self into the zip archive file of my power desk 5. Now I need to beg some of you guys to tell me "How the heck do I get it to go and put it's self into the avast! file where it belongs?"

I figured out how to move it from one place to another, but I am unsure as to how to extract it and make it go to the right place.

Would someone please explain that to me? I also need to know if I am still supposed to try and zip up those "unpxxx" files and send them to you, or if I should just delete them.

Thanks for any help,
Micky

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:11:59 PM »
If you right click on the link, you should be able to do a 'save target as' or 'save link as' you can then select the location on your HDD that you want to save it.

Follow Vlk's steps (print them off) where he gave the link, the avast folder is here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 (assuming you installed avast in the default location), that is where you should drop/extract the contents of the zip file to.

I think you should do fix first, monitor the activity of web shield and if no further problems, report that the problem appears to gone after the fix.
Since Vlk's post about the fix was after his request for the unpxxx files I assume they won't need them now, but keep them for a little while in case Vlk does request them since you asked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Umath

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »
I seem to have lost the file in my routine "clearance of old log files" since they are in the exact same folder… :P

So, you've click the delete buttom by accident or, maybe, the Moderators did it by accident too...
Nothing to worry that much  8)

:o

I think the major suspect is Vlk but as long as the file does the job, it should be O.K. for all of us.  ;D  Thanx, anyway.

PS It has never clushed yet.  So far so good. 8)

TURTLE

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »
OK, so once again I have to say thanks to everyone for your help. Thanks to you too, Umath, I got it into the right folder and then followed vlk's instructions.

I would still like to know if I need to zip up those other files, or if it is safe to delete them. I am thinking that the file "ashWebSv.exe" knows that I am up to something.

It had crashed, rather frequently, before I had posted this question, and it has crashed only once since I started this thread thing.

I will give the fix a few days to settle in and wait to see if the problem is resolved. Thanks again everyone, for all of your help. Mickey