Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129386 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Yes these are as expected (i.e. no malware). I agree that the random filename is far from ideal (from the mere suspicousness point of view), but this is how it was originally designed.

While the feature was originally called "emergency update", it is now being used to deliver all sorts of updates/patches into avast. It is a mechanism that can update (patch) avast binaries in a lightweight way, usually without requiring a reboot and going through the whole program update process. It is an important mechanism for us (present already since avast v7) that has already "saved" us a couple of times...

Thanks
Vlk
Emphasis mine.

Note that no reboot is normally needed when avast! runs emergency updater on your system.  Note also that at least twice already, avast! team has averted a meltdown (disaster) by using this tool.  It also saves time and money for users and avast! by introducing fixes for bugs without having users do a new update of the latest version via using the program update feature normally used to update the program.  Short and sweet.

BTW. Microsoft Security Essentials does not even have a 'self-defense module'.  First I've heard of a conflict between CCleaner and the avast! self-defense module, and the only remedy for that issue is to turn off self-defense in avast!?  Seems that setting change would leave avast! open to being changed from without to the point of even disabling it, just as MSE has been known to do when attacked.   ???   (Now you've got no antivirus program and no active protection.)

OK, then.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

reisender67

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Hello,

if I try to open HKLM:Run with Avast Self Defence on I get an Error (see Screenshot). Without Self Defence it works and I have two Avast entries.

Greetings
Christian

Edit: After restart without Self Defence the Emergency entry remains.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:17:00 AM by reisender »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
I cannot exclude HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN#20131121 key from
SUPERAntiSpyware scan.As I said before it is detected as Trojan.Agent/Gen.Also I can't report it as FP because
button is greyed out,maybe because I have free version.
I am not happy with latest Avast things (emupdate, VPN Pop-up instead of vps update).

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
This is a bug in avast emergency update.a patch should not be run on each reboot.delete entry of start by disabling the defense of avast and delete the .exe and no problem.We hope an explanation of avast team .
reboot my pc 2 or 3 times and not emergency update in start menu.. :)

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
Also,RogueKiller detects it as Rogue ST.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140786.0

For the love of God,someone from Avast Team give us some answers.

been

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
I think people may be getting a little hot under the collar. Emergency updates are a good thing and if the most recent one is unnecessarily re-patching at subsequent start ups then that may be a bit sloppy but it doesn't appear to be breaking anything. Better, surely, to leave it be for the time being than to disable Avast's self-protection to remove files which none of us know what they do.

efdy

What if you already let SAS remove it?
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »
Average desktop user here. I have Avast Free Antivirus. I already let SUPERAntiSpyware remove this after a routine scan tonight. It seems gone. I am not really very good with computers, or using the registry. I ran SAS again after the reboot and it did not detect this again. I do not know what all this patch-repatch stuff means either. Do I need to reinstall Avast to get this back in there or anything like that? Is my system at risk after SAS removed this? Thank you.

been

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
Vlk has acknowledged that the patch is a genuine Avast file and, as it's pretty unthinkable that Avast would push malware at us, I'm sure it's safe to assume that alerts from SuperAntispyware etc are false positives.

olddog

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
.. It also saves time and money for users and avast! by introducing fixes for bugs without having users do a new update of the latest version via using the program update feature normally used to update the program.  Short and sweet.

So when a user is advised here on the forum to uninstall, cleanup and then reinstall Avast to cure one or other problem, (and a check will show that advice is given rather frequently), what happens to the fixes for bugs that were applied to the original installation by the emergency updates. Have they been added into the new installation, (in which case why doesn't the current download not have a different version number), is the emergency update being broadcast all the time until a new program version is released, or is the new install simply disadvantaged?

First I've heard of a conflict between CCleaner and the avast! self-defense module, and the only remedy for that issue is to turn off self-defense in avast!?
That problem has been known for some time, and confirmed by a number of users. Yes, the only solution at the moment until Avast get around to correcting the issue (which is their self defence protection acting outside of the area it should be, and impinging on a respected 3rd party product) is to either not use one of the features of CCleaner, or turn off the Avast Self Protection.  Since I use the feature in CCleaner, my choice is to turn off the offending Avast module - others can decide for themselves.

Offline ky331

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
"Note also that at least twice already, avast! team has averted a meltdown (disaster) by using this tool".  ABSOLUTELY!   Two-thumbs up on this!!

"I think people may be getting a little hot under the collar...."

I started this post (two pages ago) with two simple, direct questions --- which have yet to be answered:
1) Can someone enlighten us as to the nature (reason) for this emergency update?   What did it address/fix?
2) Why is this fix running every time I reboot, rather than just doing the job once?

Had we gotten an equally direct response from someone "in the know" (like Vlk), there may have been no need for subsequent debates/rants.

If, for security reasons, avast can't publicize the specific "nature"/reason for this update, a simple statement to that effect would suffice.

But we still need/deserve an answer to the question:   Should we continue to let this update run, again and again, on all system startups?   Or should we remove its startup entry, after it has run (at least once)?

And if it's supposed to run every boot:   then for those who accidentally or intentionally removed it, will the "Emergency Update" TASK, in Task Scheduler, reinstate this startup?

Direct answers to these simple questions should take care of everyone's concerns.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »
"Note also that at least twice already, avast! team has averted a meltdown (disaster) by using this tool".  ABSOLUTELY!   Two-thumbs up on this!!

"I think people may be getting a little hot under the collar...."

I started this post (two pages ago) with two simple, direct questions --- which have yet to be answered:
1) Can someone enlighten us as to the nature (reason) for this emergency update?   What did it address/fix?
2) Why is this fix running every time I reboot, rather than just doing the job once?

Had we gotten an equally direct response from someone "in the know" (like Vlk), there may have been no need for subsequent debates/rants.

If, for security reasons, avast can't publicize the specific "nature"/reason for this update, a simple statement to that effect would suffice.

But we still need/deserve an answer to the question:   Should we continue to let this update run, again and again, on all system startups?   Or should we remove its startup entry, after it has run (at least once)?

And if it's supposed to run every boot:   then for those who accidentally or intentionally removed it, will the "Emergency Update" TASK, in Task Scheduler, reinstate this startup?

Direct answers to these simple questions should take care of everyone's concerns.

It has nothing to do the scheduled task of avast emergency update that runs every 12 hours with the entry into the Windows startup .... delete the entry from the startup does not prevent or modify that continue to work the scheduled task every 12 hours and if he had another emergency update was installed

sammi 1820

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Quote from Ky331:...But we still need/deserve an answer to the question:   Should we continue to let this update run, again and again, on all system startups?   Or should we remove its startup entry, after it has run (at least once)?

I concur whole heartedly and in total agreement with this statement!!!  WHEN will we get/be given the conclusive answer to these questions.... >:(

thekochs

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »
It is an important mechanism for us (present already since avast v7) that has already "saved" us a couple of times...

Wow,

I am an IT guy and have Avast Free on several of my home PCs and we license Avast on our business PCs.....all on V8.
I am also a Moderator on many other A/V forums and recommend Avast to tons & tons of people....on web and personal.
I've been monitoring the V9 threads and I'm shocked by this......but it rings very familiar.
Prior to Avast I was a HUGE AVG proponent......right up until they did the same thing and literally bricked thousands of PCs with a new "update".  The key seems to be the A/V companies want to reach out from what they are good on to things they are not to become a one-stop shop.  Prior to AVG was Symantec (which is a total PIG) that defined A/V (Norton) in the day and now I would not use if they paid me to.  The above statement not only does not give me a the warn-n-fuzzies that I think it was intended but scares me to not sleep at night.

I HAVE NOT given up on Avast but after reading what V9 was trying to do.....clearly a full re-write/architecture.....I am holding off for 6+months to upgrade.....and not recommending this to all others.....because it is frankly not worth the risk.  The code has too many glitches and there are too many excuses and posts from "non-Avast Team" on speculation not facts.  I also find the lack of documentation troubling as well.  It all adds up that V9 was not ready for prime-time and the "community" is doing the "bug discovery".  New programs always have bugs but A/V re-writes should be much more solid than this.

I will keep monitoring the progress and I am still a fan of Avast and not giving up.....just not jumping into the deep end of the pool with V9.

Last comment: Since this is a MAJOR update in V9.....it would seem that Avast would assign a tech apps to the Forum thread.  The Moderators and Super Posters do a great job but there is WAY too much speculation going on and I think it is in Avast's & clearly the communities best interest to have a Avast Team Apps engineer on the dialogues as well.  Just my two cents. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:37:25 PM by thekochs »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
OK,I disabled Avast self-protection module (translation from Croatian) and deleted Avast emupdate from
Windows start up with CCleaner's Start up manager.
Rebooted and received normal 131124-0 VPS update with sound.
  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140783.0
Also,after reboot there is no Avast emupdate in Windows start up anymore.
Since reg key doesn't exist anymore,SUPERAntiSpyware doesn't detect it anymore.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
OK,I disabled Avast self-protection module (translation from Croatian) and deleted Avast emupdate from
Windows start up with CCleaner's Start up manager.
Rebooted and received normal 131124-0 VPS update with sound.
  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140783.0
Also,after reboot there is no Avast emupdate in Windows start up anymore.
Since reg key doesn't exist anymore,SUPERAntiSpyware doesn't detect it anymore.

idem.. ;)