Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129770 times)

BearPup

Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
@KY331: This is my third post since I joined you at the beginning of this thread, and we are nowhere nearer the Answer than we were at the beginning. My patience has been exhausted. AVG 2014 is available for free at SharewareOnSale. That is where I'm headed now. Maybe when actual registered Users leave Avast for competitors, things will actually change here. I invite you and others to join me.

olddog

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
...And that's the whole point of Emergency Updates. So they can push small important updates without the need to do a proper full program update.

Nice thought, but it would seem that what ever the small emergency update did, it is not important enough for users downloading and installing a new copy of the program (still at 2014.9.0.2008) to need it, or to get it.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
If now reinstalled avast will become download again the emergency update because these updates are included in next version. this emergency update corrects a small bug in the web shield

olddog

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2013, 10:42:22 PM »
If now reinstalled avast will become download again the emergency update

Can anyone who has uninstalled, cleaned out and reinstalled avast since the emergency update confirm that the emergency update has been applied again?.

.. this emergency update corrects a small bug in the web shield
where has that been officially published by Avast?

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »
If now reinstalled avast will become download again the emergency update

Can anyone who has uninstalled, cleaned out and reinstalled avast since the emergency update confirm that the emergency update has been applied again?.

.. this emergency update corrects a small bug in the web shield
where has that been officially published by Avast?

exclusions of web shield were not working appropriately and now if...there can be more corrections...this they are only my assumptions and of some member more.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:26:56 PM by miguelgrado »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
All,

If this emupdate process was something that did not work at all, then I could see the multitude of complaints or suspicions might well be justified, at worst.

But that's not the case here.

What's the at best position?  That avast! actively working on and refining and adjusting emupdate as we speak. 

So, if there anomalies, as in FP detections with other security programs, why does anyone here expect avast! to fix other vendor's FP alerts or notifications?  That's not how it works.  In each case, each vendor is responsible for their detection database, and it is up to them to fix those detection issues when they come up.  Not avast!

I can think of one reason, off the bat, why emupdate has been detected by other vendors:  It is the random filename given to it by avast!; same criteria is also used as when avast! classifies a program as a PUP using the actual name of that program, as well as using other parameters.  It is, in this case, likely is only the file name in this case as this file and process is digitally signed by avast!.  I'm certain other vendors use exactly the same criteria to flag a digitally signed file.  Who wouldn't?

Suspicion and paranoia can cause someone to walk away from a perfectly sound, valid, and legitimate program, and really, unless one is capable of actually analyzing programmer's code, that is all one has, a feeling of suspicion and that something is not right.  That's all one is left with, and a hurried judgement not based on known facts can lead to potential disaster.  Please stop.

Where's the proof! 

Certainly if Vlk or someone else can step in and explain and reassure users that are uncertain and unsure about this, then it would go a long way to assuaging certain fears and doubts here.  But, as in any discussion, such help will only come in if all are reasonable about whatever the discussion is about, and, those with doubts remaining, are willing to listen to the avast! team member, as it were.  Otherwise, it is a waste of time to continue on with this. 

I can assure you that team members are always busy, but do spare a little time now and then to clarify things here when it is needed.  Otherwise, no, they won't.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2013, 12:55:37 AM »
...can lead to potential disaster.  Please stop. ...
Please stop???  Do you not realize the everyone here is speaking of 'their' computer, and security, not avast's.  It's pretty arrogant to tell others what to not be concerned about when it's their livelihood on the line.  You're entitled to your own opinion, and so am I, so "please stop" insisting people shouldn't be concerned with their thousands of dollar computers, and personal data that could amount to money lost.  I showed up here only because then event "was not normal," I've been an avast user for quite some time, and I rarely ever show my face here, because things usually run smoothly, but this is highly irregular, so yes I'm concerned.  My main concern is the Google bit, I hate Google!  Just my opinion!

Oh and no disasters are probable either, you seem to be as much of an alarmist as the others you're speaking too.  For years I used Nortons and not Avast and no disaster ever befell me.  I have no idea what you're talking about!  And I've been doing this stuff for quite some time.  My first computer was a Commodore 64 back when they were first marketed.  Been a computer aficionado every since.

psikofunkster

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »
It is an important mechanism for us (present already since avast v7) that has already "saved" us a couple of times...

Wow,

I am an IT guy and have Avast Free on several of my home PCs and we license Avast on our business PCs.....all on V8.
I am also a Moderator on many other A/V forums and recommend Avast to tons & tons of people....on web and personal.
I've been monitoring the V9 threads and I'm shocked by this......but it rings very familiar.
Prior to Avast I was a HUGE AVG proponent......right up until they did the same thing and literally bricked thousands of PCs with a new "update".  The key seems to be the A/V companies want to reach out from what they are good on to things they are not to become a one-stop shop.  Prior to AVG was Symantec (which is a total PIG) that defined A/V (Norton) in the day and now I would not use if they paid me to.  The above statement not only does not give me a the warn-n-fuzzies that I think it was intended but scares me to not sleep at night.

I HAVE NOT given up on Avast but after reading what V9 was trying to do.....clearly a full re-write/architecture.....I am holding off for 6+months to upgrade.....and not recommending this to all others.....because it is frankly not worth the risk.  The code has too many glitches and there are too many excuses and posts from "non-Avast Team" on speculation not facts.  I also find the lack of documentation troubling as well.  It all adds up that V9 was not ready for prime-time and the "community" is doing the "bug discovery".  New programs always have bugs but A/V re-writes should be much more solid than this.

I will keep monitoring the progress and I am still a fan of Avast and not giving up.....just not jumping into the deep end of the pool with V9.

Last comment: Since this is a MAJOR update in V9.....it would seem that Avast would assign a tech apps to the Forum thread.  The Moderators and Super Posters do a great job but there is WAY too much speculation going on and I think it is in Avast's & clearly the communities best interest to have a Avast Team Apps engineer on the dialogues as well.  Just my two cents.

What pisses me off about all this, is that windows explorer crashed a few minutes ago, i started suspecting about anydvd, maybe the new windvd 11 upgrade package.....so i google it......windows explorer crashes sometimes related to malware so i run superantispyware:

Trojan.Agent/Gen
   (x86) HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN#20131121

Also my pc is feeling sluggish maybe my personal perception though.

im NOT a fan of Avast anymore in fact i hate it right now. 64 days of sub remaining that's why im still here posting.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:07:58 AM by psikofunkster »

psikofunkster

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »
Vlk has acknowledged that the patch is a genuine Avast file and, as it's pretty unthinkable that Avast would push malware at us, I'm sure it's safe to assume that alerts from SuperAntispyware etc are false positives.

I disagree there have been pretty serious events with avast in the past.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
...can lead to potential disaster.  Please stop. ...
Please stop???  Do you not realize the everyone here is speaking of 'their' computer, and security, not avast's.  It's pretty arrogant to tell others what to not be concerned about when it's their livelihood on the line.  You're entitled to your own opinion, and so am I, so "please stop" insisting people shouldn't be concerned with their thousands of dollar computers, and personal data that could amount to money lost.  I showed up here only because then event "was not normal," I've been an avast user for quite some time, and I rarely ever show my face here, because things usually run smoothly, but this is highly irregular, so yes I'm concerned.  My main concern is the Google bit, I hate Google!  Just my opinion!

Oh and no disasters are probable either, you seem to be as much of an alarmist as the others you're speaking too.  For years I used Nortons and not Avast and no disaster ever befell me.  I have no idea what you're talking about!  And I've been doing this stuff for quite some time.  My first computer was a Commodore 64 back when they were first marketed.  Been a computer aficionado every since.
Emphasis mine.

Nice that the entire quoted paragraph section is snipped out.  Sorry, I'm walking away from this one for good.  Think and believe what you wish, I'm gone.  Sorry I could not help.   :o
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

1WeirdBug

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 01:23:44 AM »
First time here. Long time Avast user. Generally like it ok... but this possible bug bothers me somewhat.

Ran SAS as well and it listed (x86) HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN#20131121 as a trojan horse. Will most likely not remove it for now, but I am really concerned. I thought it might be due to a new program I installed earlier today, but after checking here, I'm aware that it's not.

Hope to see some clearing up and an a more clear idea of what to do next from Avast. It would be really nice to see.

I'm rather worried to just leave it be... but for now, I will.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:29:28 AM by 1WeirdBug »

olddog

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »
Mchain,
With respect what this discussion needs is facts, officially from Avast, not assumptions.

If this emupdate process was something that did not work at all, then I could see the multitude of complaints or suspicions might well be justified, at worst.
But that's not the case here.
As far as I am aware, beyond Vlk's statement that the last emupdate was official, there has been no official statement as to what it was actually supposed to do. There has been no statement as to how one can determine whether it has actually been applied to an installed system, or whether the application was successful. There have been some variations in the reported results (the registry key being left in some installations and not in others). So until someone provides some accurate information, it's not safe to assume it did what it should have.

What's the at best position?  That avast! actively working on and refining and adjusting emupdate as we speak.
You suggest that as the best position. I guess the worst position would be that they aren't doing anything at all about the emupdate process. Short of an official statement from Avast, either would simply be an assumption.

Certainly if Vlk or someone else can step in and explain and reassure users that are uncertain and unsure about this, then it would go a long way to assuaging certain fears and doubts here.
I agree, and I'm sure that is what most of us would welcome. Sadly it hasn't happened.

I can assure you that team members are always busy, but do spare a little time now and then to clarify things here when it is needed.  Otherwise, no, they won't.
I would assume that they are busy, the same as the majority of people doing business in todays conditions, but I'm not sure how you can give anyone the assurance that they will clarify things in the forum when needed. (Unless you are actually an employee of Avast).  Given that the release of Avast 2014 was only recent, the apparent lack of involvement of Avast team members in the forum is rather disappointing.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:31:20 AM by olddog »

joe53

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2013, 01:36:59 AM »
With all due respect, mchain, I don't feel that most of the posters in this thread are paranoid, including myself. Most are fairly savvy with respect to security, and when avast! throws a curve ball at them, want an explanation. I accept Vik's reply that this is not malware, and is by design, but he really doesn't answer a lot of the questions asked.

Despite using and recommending avast! for years, I have no a priori reason to trust avast! indefinitely. I've seen too many good security programs go bad or bloat to the point that I abandoned many over the years. It is obvious that some here have disabled this startup item without adverse effects, and some have left it intact, also with no ill effects.

If  avast! feels that some of the reasonable questions asked here need no response, because they are too busy to spare the time, then I'm not surprised if some look elsewhere. I've used many AVs over the years, and can't recall a single instance when any of them injected a new program into startup (outside of a version upgrade). In this case, the average user would of course not even be aware that new software was loading at startup. I have a problem with that, on general principles.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:39:07 AM by joe53 »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster

plsrepli

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:52 AM »
http://techdows.com/2013/11/avast-emergency-update-startup.html

I'm not sure I agree with that article and here is why:

My Avast 2014 installations are:
1 PC, running Windows 8.1
1 PC, running Windows 7, SP1 Home Premium

Both have v2014.9.0.2008 (def 131124) but 'ONLY' the 8.1 PC has the additional Emergency Startup enabled.

What I did next:
I did a clean uninstall of Avast 2014 (using first the standard uninstaller and then aswclear via safe-mode).
The above procedure left behind a startup entry listed only as "program" so I had to manually remove the Avast Emergency Startup entry.

Once done, I noticed that my Windows Boot Manager Screen (eg, boot menu) was now available (during startup and reboot) again. BTW, this is what prompted my investigation in the first place (eg, missing boot menu) because it was clearly evident that something had changed, and I have learned to look towards Avast 2014 (first) when new issues arise. And, sure enough, the clean uninstall fixed/restored my missing boot menu/screen.

Next step:
So, I decided to do a clean install of Avast 2014 and waddaya know.... I still have my boot menu and I don't have that Emergency Update in my Startups anymore! All is well for the moment but I really think something got hosed up and that Emergency Update is/was not intended to be permanent.

FYI,

plsrepli
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:16:46 AM by plsrepli »