Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129882 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »
I tried that and now I have only 1 entry for Avast.

Ijkoy

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
I tried that and now I have only 1 entry for Avast.

Im not quite sure if you are trolling me :D but obviously you clicked the command button as a whole and sorted the command column alphabetically. There are still the two entries of avast. You have to hold the left mouse button while moving the slider to the right, exactly where the arrow in the previous image is pointing at.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
 You have to hold the left mouse button while moving the slider to the right, exactly where the arrow in the previous image is pointing at.

That's what I did.

FYI..........I'm not trolling you.  :)

Ijkoy

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
You have to hold the left mouse button while moving the slider to the right, exactly where the arrow in the previous image is pointing at.

That's what I did.

FYI..........I'm not trolling you.  :)

Okay :D Just sort the entries again by clicking on the Startup Item Button. Then use the slider :D to expand the column (see pic)

Davy

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
Just to add, I removed entry in Crap Cleaner... sure enough I rebooted and the entry is gone..... but still got the emergency update access so I 'Firewalled it'.

Avast is getting too intrusive as of late-:
First with Google Chrome, then with VPN advert pop up at boot up followed by emergency update at boot up - who the hell is using this computer me or Avast?

So reading from all these post... there's a bug in Avast they fix that with an emergency update, are the emergency updates selected or do we receive them ALL at the same time.... are we becoming beta testers on the quiet? Whats happening with the beta testers certainly they never reported these bugs surely or have they been dispatched after being ignored.?

I've submitted a ticket regarding the VPN issue and given them until Wednesday or time to move on, to be honest I've tolerated Avast a bit too long.

Dave

PamJ

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I ended up doing system restore on my older computer to before I did the avast! update to 9.xxx, which was yesterday. I did that mainly to try to fix the Outlook problems the newest avast! program update caused. (I posted this in another thread.) But whatever that weird number emergency update thing is, it was still in the start menu. SAS scanned, said it was trojan, so I put it in quarantine. Doing that, I get this loop when I reboot saying system configuration has changed and I need to reboot computer. I reboot, and then I get the same message again (every time I rebooted this happened). I restored that item from SAS quarantine and now do not get that loop thing.

Weird stuff going on here for me, between this and the Outlook problem.

avastreally?

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
I reported it here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515228/roguekiller-avast-fp/
detected on every machine that runs avast (mine, mom ,cousin)

thekochs

V8 ?
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:45 AM »
As a long time Avast (former AVG, former Norton) Free (Home) & Paid User (Business) use I have been reading this Forum before I did the V9 upgrade......been in this rodeo before when AVG when from great A/V guy to trying to be all things to all people and bricked thousands of PCs.....truly ugly time.  Anyway, Avast has been great, simple, clean, fast, etc.  This V9 is not only not that it should have never been released.....Outlook does not work, JAVA, VPN, Firewall, Browser, etc, etc.....issues.

Also, while I applaud Avast to have a EMU ability to that they can correct a potential brick situation I am floored there is little/no comments on this thread from Avast.  After reading I went into MSCONFIG and found the attached.......note, I'm on V8....not V9/2014.

I can only provide a "guess" based on reading the thread that this EMU on Startup is there to avoid a corrupted Avast from corrupting your login and bricking your machine.  I think the EMU scheduler item is there is periodically update Avast binary (program) code from Avast for items needed that neither require a reboot and/or fix items that a reboot may cause issues with.   Thus, people disabling the EMU on startup may not see a problem if their Avast install is OK but they have eliminated the ability for this EMU to do its thing if there is.  Of course, this is all a guess......WHY ?..........because no one from Avast is taking the time to comment on a thread that is not seven pages long.  :'(

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:09:35 AM by thekochs »

Ijkoy

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Today I tested the emu with a pc which hasn't been switched on for 7 days or so. As expected this exe-file was loaded into the avast folder and the startup entry was created.

Then I tested another PC, did a clean avast install and there was no emu exe-file and no startup entry. What Im wondering about is the fact that the installer from machine 2 was from the 11th of November. The Emu is obviously from the 21st. So what triggered the emu on machine 1 and why wasnt it been triggered on machine 2.

It would really be nice if an avast official could clarify whether this startup entry is supposed to remain there, what issue the emu has addressed and why a fresh installation doesnt trigger the emu. Three simple questions but then I think this thread can finally be closed.

Thank you very much :)

Davy

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
I've blocked it in in Host Manager, blocked it in Firewall, turned it off in msconfig and it still gets through..... so I removed the .exe file and guess what?

It still updates, work that one out!

Dave

Ijkoy

« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes these are as expected (i.e. no malware). I agree that the random filename is far from ideal (from the mere suspicousness point of view), but this is how it was originally designed.

While the feature was originally called "emergency update", it is now being used to deliver all sorts of updates/patches into avast. It is a mechanism that can update (patch) avast binaries in a lightweight way, usually without requiring a reboot and going through the whole program update process. It is an important mechanism for us (present already since avast v7) that has already "saved" us a couple of times...

Thanks
Vlk

I read Vlks answer once more and I think that the functionality of the so called emergency updates has changed since this latest incident (thats just my interpretation). If i remember right there were always two entries of avast in the startup. And I think one of them was pointing at avastemupdate.exe. This entry was changed to now point to the randomnumbers.exe which in my opinion is in place to deliver minor program updates.

The original avastemupdate.exe is now only handled by the taskplaner. It gets executed on every startup, every 12h (see triggers) and not as a startup entry. The randomnumbers.exe however should be renamed to streamprgupdates.exe  or whatever to reflect that its not a "one time run exe" (a patch), but more a checking module (thereforce /check parameter) to detect if there are minor program updates on the avast servers.

As I said, thats all my interpretation :)

Davy

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »
Ijkoy
Certainly didn't for me, honest.... I rebooted three times on a trot and three times it connected, you block a server and they use another one.

Goodbye all, I removed Avast.....  and gone over to a less buggier product. Get your act together Avast and I may consider  coming back.

Dave

Ijkoy

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
Ijkoy
Certainly didn't for me, honest.... I rebooted three times on a trot and three times it connected, you block a server and they use another one.

Goodbye all, I removed Avast.....  and gone over to a less buggier product. Get your act together Avast and I may consider  coming back.

Dave

I think its just a regular part of avast like definition updates, but of course since theres no 100 % clear comment from avast, people are getting annoyed and switch to other av solutions.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:11:44 PM by -midnight »

Ijkoy

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
I think it's good that Avast done this and as you can see in my attachment they shouldn't be disabled.

The avastui you are mentioning has always been there and its of course good :) The other on e with all the numbers is what we are interested in. But i also think that the startup exe is good :)