Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129940 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
Today is the first time I've seen this.

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
...can lead to potential disaster.  Please stop. ...
Please stop???  Do you not realize the everyone here is speaking of 'their' computer, and security, not avast's.  It's pretty arrogant to tell others what to not be concerned about when it's their livelihood on the line.  You're entitled to your own opinion, and so am I, so "please stop" insisting people shouldn't be concerned with their thousands of dollar computers, and personal data that could amount to money lost.  I showed up here only because then event "was not normal," I've been an avast user for quite some time, and I rarely ever show my face here, because things usually run smoothly, but this is highly irregular, so yes I'm concerned.  My main concern is the Google bit, I hate Google!  Just my opinion!

Oh and no disasters are probable either, you seem to be as much of an alarmist as the others you're speaking too.  For years I used Nortons and not Avast and no disaster ever befell me.  I have no idea what you're talking about!  And I've been doing this stuff for quite some time.  My first computer was a Commodore 64 back when they were first marketed.  Been a computer aficionado every since.
Emphasis mine.

Nice that the entire quoted paragraph section is snipped out.  Sorry, I'm walking away from this one for good.  Think and believe what you wish, I'm gone.  Sorry I could not help.   :o
mchain, understand, I have nothing against you personally, just making a point that we are all concerned with OUR computers, and that the only thing that shall quell our concern is some cold hard facts, from an, "in the know," authority!  Personally I only want an antivirus program, not all the other crap.  I have an awesome hardware security device/router/firewall with stateful packet inspection and NAT, my LAN IP's are static subnet'ed with masking that precludes spoofing, i.e., all IP's are locked to specific MAC's.  All I really want is Antivirus software to just sit there and watch incoming data, searching for virus matches, where I do a manual update from time to time, not all these attempts to capture software market share, by creating a package that's as huge as a blimp, and does everything including having a kitchen sink, that makes my coffee.  Sometimes this, "making our software more 'robust' to sell more people" just makes me sick. You got to wonder exactly what Snowden was talking about, I mean, how deep it goes!  I mean, I'm an American, they are Czech.  While I'm not prejudice, I'm a "CitizenOfTheWorld," many others out there are!

Not trying to be mean, or cause a scene, just trying to be insightful!

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
Now I'm confused.  I updated to the newest version on Nov. 21 but the attachment shows I received an Emergency Update on the same day.

Don't be confused, your screenshot only shows firefox running with this topic opened in a tab :) So there is no emergency update running on your machine. What i meant was the startup application which you can find by running msconfig and then look for the entry in the startups.

EDIT: Okay you changed the screenshot. The avastemupdate.exe is always installed, so if you installed avast on the 21st than of course avastemupdate.exe was also copied. The emupdate people here are talking about is an exe-file in the avast/setup/empudate/ folder. There you should find an exe-file with a lot of numbers. The next thing is the startup entry found in msconfig which is pointing to this specific exe file.

I would expext that this startup entry vanishes after one reboot (the update is done) but thats not the case. The "lotsofnumbers.exe" remains as a startup entry. And thats what Im wondering about.
I simply disabled the startup, using MSCONFIG, so far it hasn't set itself up again.  And yes I've seen things that do that. 

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
You have to hold the left mouse button while moving the slider to the right, exactly where the arrow in the previous image is pointing at.

That's what I did.

FYI..........I'm not trolling you.  :)
Many times there's a quicker way, just hover over the separator line at the top and double click and it will expand automatically to the proper length required to see the entire line.  Sometimes it doesn't work depending on who wrote the software.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
I use avast pro (never free)on personal level at home on 3 of my machines for way over decade, and my wife runs offices throughout Ontario with over 50 computers equipped with avast pro.
Since v8 I've had some reservation as far as the reliability,  as the new add-ons were added and it seems that they would cause some minor and in some instances major issue to many users.
In some ways I will agree with CitizenOfTheWorld, avast becoming bloatware and I don't mean size wise as the package, but with the feature/ add-ons that causing more issues and headache than good.
Week ago I have emailed avast on 2 different occasion  with no response to date, that makes you really wonder. My wife have advised me that she  will run avast pro on her machines until subscription expires which is 3 months, and she is done for good after giving avast $ thousands each year for over 7 years, there is no room for ignorance.
We have entered different era of life, this is not only due to recession, its more than that, everyone can feel that in their own way, a lot of businesses that were thriving for years and doing well  will feel the pressure if not already.
Unfortunately a lot of established companies tend to be in some ways  arrogant/cocky  because of doing so well "we have so many clients" that's their  philosophy.  If avast isn't careful, they might eventually end up like some of the reputable companies that were at once top notch, today ether don't exist or straggling to get by. 

Karizma

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »
Has it be said yet if it would safe to delete/disable this yet from startup?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »

Read post 107.

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »

What is safe to you?
An update, a so called emergency update, in this particular case, fix's some aspect of the program, in this case this program contacts a google server, in my case it was IP 74.125.225.128 which resolves to ord08s09-in-f0.1e100.net, which is a google server, that at least maintains lists of bad websites, known attack sites and/or forgeries.  I don't know why avast connects to retrieve such info, assuming that's what its doing.  It's probably safe, avast seems to say so, but they seem to be very tight lipped about it.  Personally I think it's some sort of temporary fix, I mean that it's staying in the startup-sequence (yes I had an Amiga once), and that once they get new code generated to update their program, they will delete it. But I could be wrong! Personally, on my computer, I did it for them, because, I'm against anything that's automatic, without my approval, because it's my computer.  But you may see it differently, and then you'd be right for you. Put it this way, your computer won't explode.  I have, like many, multiple lines of defense, so I'm really not worried!  Do what you understand to do, what you feel good about, don't let anyone else sway you one way or the other, knowledge is key!   

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster

Jimmy10

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »
How do I expand the command line?
At least you guys have a name in msconfig
 it lists the manufacture as "unknown"
I have this disabled in startup but would really like to know why this is
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:33:37 AM by Jimmy10 »

iroc9555

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but since I got 20131121 in my starup list, I have been getting 2 VPS every day. Before that I was like everybody here posting that 2 or 3 days have past without getting any. Yes I was getting Streams Updates and that was giving me a peace of mind, but not the whole VPS. Now avast! 9 is updating like avast! 8 used to do ;D

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but since I got 20131121 in my starup list, I have been getting 2 VPS every day. Before that I was like everybody here posting that 2 or 3 days have past without getting any. Yes I was getting Streams Updates and that was giving me a peace of mind, but not the whole VPS. Now avast! 9 is updating like avast! 8 used to do ;D

i deleted startup entry and i have vps also...i deleted 3 days ago and all ok....An emergency update should not be run on every reboot ...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:26:07 AM by miguelgrado »

Ijkoy

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

i deleted startup entry and i have vps also...i deleted 3 days ago and all ok....An emergency update should not be run on every reboot ...

And thats why I think they changed the functionality of this module (as Vlk said). Emergency updates used to deliver emergency updates but now the apply minor program updates on startup and mabye real emergency updates on top. Thats why I think they should just rename it to something like streamprgrupdates.exe, then no one would have cared.

But we can speculate for the next 100 years about this emergency update, it will not be solved until an avast member clarifies it (Please just one line :D )

henri44

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
hello,
there are two processes for this "avast! emergency update"
1 - planned to start an assignment and again every 12 hours work (available since version 7)
2 - task unplanned (2013-11-21, 94e1-4b20-dc2941bb-4bfe-1d4dd1b6efbb.exe) that starts with the application launcher windows on every boot, added at a maj vps

November 24 I have uninstalled cleanly and completely free Avast and reinstalled Avast free,
with the new installation not creating the task since 2013-11-21 and still nothing Avast works perfectly,
a person who installs Avast now for the first time, he does not know the problem
cdt

Ijkoy

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
hello,
there are two processes for this "avast! emergency update"
1 - planned to start an assignment and again every 12 hours work (available since version 7)
2 - task unplanned (2013-11-21, 94e1-4b20-dc2941bb-4bfe-1d4dd1b6efbb.exe) that starts with the application launcher windows on every boot, added at a maj vps

November 24 I have uninstalled cleanly and completely free Avast and reinstalled Avast free,
with the new installation not creating the task since 2013-11-21 and still nothing Avast works perfectly,
a person who installs Avast now for the first time, he does not know the problem
cdt

Another speculation: During the installation process of a fresh copy the installer looks for emergency updates and installs them during the installation (no need to create a startup entry). This can be done because Avast is not yet operating and can be patched this way (Files are not yet in use). When you have installed avast for a longer time and an emergency update occurs, then avast creates the startup entry. In my opinion a emergency update which is triggered by avastemupdate.exe is setting up the startup entry for the first time. If there were no emergency update since the 24th, there is no startup entry.