Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129786 times)

seeker15

Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but since I got 20131121 in my starup list, I have been getting 2 VPS every day. Before that I was like everybody here posting that 2 or 3 days have past without getting any. Yes I was getting Streams Updates and that was giving me a peace of mind, but not the whole VPS. Now avast! 9 is updating like avast! 8 used to do ;D

i deleted startup entry and i have vps also...i deleted 3 days ago and all ok....An emergency update should not be run on every reboot ...

Same here. Deleted 3 days ago. Received VPS update as usual. But that kid reappeared again with the same name. So, I deleted it again.

Ijkoy

« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but since I got 20131121 in my starup list, I have been getting 2 VPS every day. Before that I was like everybody here posting that 2 or 3 days have past without getting any. Yes I was getting Streams Updates and that was giving me a peace of mind, but not the whole VPS. Now avast! 9 is updating like avast! 8 used to do ;D

i deleted startup entry and i have vps also...i deleted 3 days ago and all ok....An emergency update should not be run on every reboot ...

Same here. Deleted 3 days ago. Received VPS update as usual. But that kid reappeared again with the same name. So, I deleted it again.

Other people report that it doesn't reappear after they deleted it. But if it reappears, something tells me that avast wants to put this on autostart. Otherwise they would have fixed it in the meantime.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

Other people report that it doesn't reappear after they deleted it. But if it reappears, something tells me that avast wants to put this on autostart. Otherwise they would have fixed it in the meantime.

reboot pc 4 o 5 times and doesn't reappear ....

DigbyMS23

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
For those who have had SuperAntispyware quarantine Run (20131121), herewith a reply from Super to my inquiry on the subject:

"This detection  has been corrected, this was a false positive.  Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you."

This does not, of course, clear up the mystery about the update from Avast! itself, it only serves to clarify the action taken by SuperAntspyware.

PamJ

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
SUPERAntiSpyware, I just updated SAS and ran a new scan on my XP machine. Whatever you did, did the trick as it is no longer showing that avast! file thingy as a trojan as it was before. I haven't had a chance to try it on my Win 7 computer yet, but if it worked on for XP, I'm sure it will work the same on Win 7.

Thank for your attentiveness to and quick fixing of the situation once you knew of the problem.  :)

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
The real question is what updates are they talking about?

My Avast setup:

Enabled
------------------------
File System Shield;
Mail Shield;
Behavior Shield;
Script Shield.

Disabled
---------------------
Cloud;
Web Shield;
P2P Shield;
IM Shield;
Network Shield.

This is not my suggestion, just my resolve.

The ONLY thing I want updated, on a regular basis, are the Virus Definitions, which I do manually.

I also use Ad Aware, since their beginning.  Originally a ground breaking program.
Also Malwarebytes.
And a few others occasionally!

I think many people are quite anal about virus protection.  And no, in my history, since the general public was first given access to the Internet, I've never had any kind of serious outbreak.  A few things here and there, but I've always simply removed them.  Before the Internet I also had a few, given to me via floppies, again they were no big deal.

IMHO, all one needs are good hardware "AND" software firewalls, monitoring both incoming and outgoing traffic, running in stealth mode, and a good anti-virus program.  No, not one with all kinds of bells and whistles, just a plain vanilla, REALLY STRONG, antivirus program! And that's it!

Ijkoy

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
I actually cant believe that we dont have an official answer about this startup entry yet. I mean mods see this thread with its 9 pages and just overlook it? People are highly interested in that topic (6500 views). Thank you again!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:05:28 PM by Ijkoy »

Tetsuo

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
I actually cant believe that we dont have an official answer about this startup entry yet. I mean mods see this thread with its 9 pages and just overlook it? People are highly interested in that topic (6500 views). Thank you again!

That speaks volumes about the current Avast Team.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
Yap, its been how long now :o and no info on the new start up entry.
I did allow the new entry while my firewall was nagging about, and normally i would get adware popup about VPN, not this time so that's OK, but we still don't know what this start up entry belongs to since emergency update start up already exists ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 05:16:44 PM by Vapor »

BearPup

« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2013, 08:45:34 PM »

Yes it does. Its why I have

Yes it does. Its why I've switched to AVG, which has garnered ratings at least equal to Avast, and in one case (PC World), beat Avast winning an Editor's Choice award.

Davy

« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
And little ol me gone over to Noddy.

Tell you what pewter runs a lot smoother now and a wee bit faster..... and Privacy Guardian is only cleaning about 10 files with Avast it was 30+, so what was it cleaning - the sewers?

All the bugs say's a lot for their beta testers, have they gone to sleep? It 'appears' to me anyway that we are all  being used as beta testers, emergency updates ring a bell, the reason perhaps?

You can tell a good AV from it's Forum!

Dave

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
All these pages and no official response, groovy.

Ijkoy

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Found two additional threads:

1. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=103531.0

The op describes that avastemupdate triggers the numbers.exe. This is from 2012. So there avastemupdate triggered the numbers.exe. But now it seems that its triggering itself with a /check parameter in the startup. But what is avastemupdate then doing, maybe only downloading the numbers.exe and setting up the startup entry?

2. http://forum.avadas.de/threads/6049-Emergency-Update-beim-Start-von-Windows

Its german, but the op describes that after a clean installation, with previous removal of avast, the startup entry reappeared one day later again.

So please Avast enlighten us. Its almost weekend :) Thanks

Davy

« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
It didn't re-appear for me after removal... and I removed it three times. Mind you I scanned the registry for anf left overs-:
First off all do a manual search for Avast and then Alwil in 'Search folders and files', then  into Reg Edit.....

reg edit, click File tab and click 'Find' entering the name in the Find window..... Search for Avast and then Alwil after, you will find some entries won't delete - but they WILL if you give them permission, simply right click on the said folder(s) and click permissions then click 'allow all'.

Do this again and again until the search come up empty.

Neither removal tools, I repeat again NEITHER removal tools removes ALL Avast? Alwil entries in the registry.

Again-:
I stopped the start up in ms config, I even removed the start up .exe file.... but there was Still the thing popping up at boot up, now once a day but every time I booted up. Just as others have been finding out.

Will there ever be a day when Avast is less buggier?

Dave

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
With the exception of the WinPatrol popup several days ago I haven't had any Emergency Update popups.