Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129361 times)

zorgon

Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »
I have noticed that avast 2014 takes considerably longer to load than v8. In fact sometimes Windows gives a pop-up stating that the firewall is not enabled before it goes away and avast finally shows up in the system tray. I wonder if the longer load time could be due to the Emergency Update in Startup which has to load first before avast?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Just now found this and it's showing up in my startup programs.  Since it shows it was installed on the 17th, the same day I updated to this latest version of Avast guess I won't worry about it.

It hasn't affected my computer in any way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:52:31 PM by -midnight »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
Just now found this and it's showing up in my startup programs.  Since it shows it was installed on the 17 the same day I updated to this latest version of Avast guess I won't worry about it.

@-midnight you're correct you have nothing to worried about the Emergency Update problem we knew that long ago, the real question is you have to trust Avast AV software that's doing it job otherwise keep on complaining mean you can't trust yourself with Avast.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:08:10 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »
@SpeedyPc,

I do trust Avast and have been trusting it since more years that I can remember.  :)

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
In this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142936.msg1038909#msg1038909 essexboy suggested that MVPS's HOSTS file could be the culprit. So I disabled the HOSTS file, did a clean install and it went fine. I enabled the HOSTS file again and so far, no problems. I hope someone can tell me which domain is causing problems, so I can remove it from the HOSTS file...
--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276

NoelC

« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
My question is this:  Given that avast.com does not appear in the MVPS hosts file, why would Avast! be dependent on another domain (presumably one that's specifically blocked by that hosts file)?

Are we being tracked?  Is our usage information being sent to a 3rd party, presumably to make Avast! more money?  Has Avast! software itself been infected with malware?

If so, Avast needs to stop doing that. 

We don't need security software that a) potentially exposes us to other security / privacy problems, and b) fails without a timeout if a 3rd party web site is unable to be reached.

Of course, we could stop speculating about how bad this COULD be if Avast! would actually make an official statement on the matter.  It could be something as simple as a stack overflow because the hosts file is so big...  But we just don't know...

-Noel
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:38:40 PM by NoelC »

dprout69

« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
My question is this:  Given that avast.com does not appear in the MVPS hosts file, why would Avast! be dependent on another domain (presumably one that's specifically blocked by that hosts file)?

Are we being tracked?  Is our usage information being sent to a 3rd party, presumably to make Avast! more money?  Has Avast! software itself been infected with malware?

If so, Avast needs to stop doing that. 

We don't need security software that a) potentially exposes us to other security / privacy problems, and b) fails without a timeout if a 3rd party web site is unable to be reached.

Of course, we could stop speculating about how bad this COULD be if Avast! would actually make an official statement on the matter.  It could be something as simple as a stack overflow because the hosts file is so big...  But we just don't know...

-Noel

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Welcome to 2014... every single thing you do is being watched and all your information is being sold by every company out there.  Whether they say they are not and unless you are going to hire a team of lawyers and write up your own contract and give it to a company that you intend to do business with and have that company sign off on it... then you can assume that company already has a loophole allowing them to do whatever the hell they want.  Greed rules this planet now.

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

It's not unheard of, using several domains. For instance, Yahoo uses yimg.com and Facebook uses akamaihd.net as CDN.
--

Randissimo

« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
You also need to turn of hosts file to register from the GUI in the first place if you're too lazy to create a new fake account, so you're being tracked either way.

edit:
It's not unheard of, using several domains. For instance, Yahoo uses yimg.com and Facebook uses akamaihd.net as CDN.
None of those are part of the MVP-hosts file and no entry from there makes any normal and legit website to stop working.

edit2: as if that wasn't enough, just take a look at your IPs in every post you've made here so far.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:55:57 PM by Randissimo »

NoelC

Thinking About This Seriously
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
In all seriousness...

Anyone NOT using the MVPS hosts file is exposing themselves to a LOT more risk than those who are.  As a leading-edge security software company Avast should be well aware of that, and should in fact embrace the concept - not make software that's incompatible with it!

With the ability to drop load new software at any time, why wasn't this fixed hours after the latest MPVS hosts file was released (assuming that's the version that broke it)? 

The question takes on even more significance if Avast actually released AvastEmUpdate with an inherent incompatibility with the existing hosts file at the time (I don't know whether this was true).  I do know the latest hosts file was released on December 6 - two weeks ago.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but 20 years experience and 200 million trusting users don't count for much if you screw up in a way a high school programmer could avoid - then LEAVE it screwed up even with a state-of-the-art cloud-integrated software update system.

I'm not at all happy to have to move aside the hosts file to facilitate Avast's software updates, and it again makes me wonder whether Avast! should be my security software of choice.  This needs to be fixed!  Hell, why isn't it already fixed since yesterday afternoon, when I first reported the problem was a conflict with the hosts file?

-Noel
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:14:12 PM by NoelC »

seeker15

« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
In all seriousness...

Anyone NOT using the MVPS hosts file is exposing themselves to a LOT more risk than those who are.  As a leading-edge security software company Avast should be well aware of that, and should in fact embrace the concept - not make software that's incompatible with it!

With the ability to drop load new software at any time, why wasn't this fixed hours after the latest MPVS hosts file was released (assuming that's the version that broke it)? 

The question takes on even more significance Avast they actually released AvastEmUpdate with an inherent incompatibility with the existing hosts file at the time (I don't know whether this was true).  I do know the latest hosts file was released on December 6 - two weeks ago.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but 20 years experience and 200 million trusting users don't count for much if you screw up in a way a high school programmer could avoid - then LEAVE it screwed up even with a state-of-the-art cloud-integrated software update system.

I'm not at all happy to have to move aside the hosts file to facilitate Avast's software updates, and it again makes me wonder whether Avast! should be my security software of choice.  This needs to be fixed!  Hell, why isn't it already fixed since yesterday afternoon, when I first reported the problem was a conflict with the hosts file?

-Noel

I knew about hosts file but 'MVPS' made me curious. Although I don't mess around with the host file and use the tracking protection and other such privacy list inside the browser, this is actually interesting. But I do take care of where the program is trying to call. For e.g Avast GUI makes a call to googleanalytics. Since I am not at a loss if I block its access to internet, I made an entry in firewall. I'll take a look at this mvps thing.

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21? [OT]
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
edit2: as if that wasn't enough, just take a look at your IPs in every post you've made here so far.

Do you think other websites do not log your IP? If you're that paranoid, then you may want to use the TOR network...
--

Randissimo

« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
No, I'm not that paranoid, but it leaves a strange impression to see my IP adresses in every post I've made so far.
edit: I don't know whether there is some truth in what's written in the privacy policy of some other websites, but some of them at least delete the information about IP addresses after a while.
I know that they are storing it to prevent abuse, but in my mind, it would be nice, if at least the logging in older postings would be removed after a while.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:23:19 PM by Randissimo »

AdrianH

« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
No, I'm not that paranoid, but it leaves a strange impression to see my IP adresses in every post I've made so far.
edit: I don't know whether there is some truth in what's written in the privacy policy of some other websites, but some of them at least delete the information about IP addresses after a while.
I know that they are storing it to prevent abuse, but in my mind, it would be nice, if at least the logging in older postings would be removed after a while.

The IP logging is a feature of the forum software,not something added by avast.

All forum software does this, some only show the IP to the site staff, here SMF shows you, the poster, and the staff the IP address you came in on.

Nobody else can see your details.

Harikrishnan

« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »

This is 10th emergency update(i have to configure my Win7 Firewall Control every time to update)....but no update popup or sound until now....? really bad.... :-\