Author Topic: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?  (Read 129374 times)

Harikrishnan

Re: Emergency Update 2013-11-21?
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »
One more emergency update...it really annoying me to configure my firewall.... can someone help me..(still no vps update popup or sound)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:19:36 AM by Harikrishnan »

Harikrishnan

« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
Again.....oh..... :-[ 

AndreiRC

« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:44 AM »
Emergency update popped up in the Setup folder last night, creating an 'emupdate' folder (didn't have one after freshly reinstalling Avast last week) ... There was no Start-up entry however for the emergency update.

I rebooted and everything seems normal. Still no Start-up entry after reboot, just the 'emupdate' folder present.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Hello,

Can there be a link with  annoying Christmas Ad ?

I have not checked the exact moment but it seems that since yesterday , I have no more this popup and no more xmas ".png" in Avast\RemoteCache Zip folder

May be a simple coincidence  ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:38:29 AM by chris05 »

Erwin1234

« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »
Recently I switched from AVG to Avast on serveral computers because I did not like how AVG started to behave from update to update. Today I got two computers stuck on the "Avast emergency update", during login. Just a black screen and the normal user has to do a full reset. As an admin I can kill and restart a stuck explorer which solves the problem and also shows the avast emergency update running from "runonce".

My firewall (Comodo) will block new executables accessing the internet and ask for premission. But during login this is of course not possible because the user has not logged yet. Maybe this is related.

Why does avast use these strange and randomly named executables? What is their purpose?

NoelC

« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »
Again.....oh..... :-[
Looks like it's the same version every time.

It's not doing that for everyone.  I had one - 20131224 - that ran once and hasn't returned since the reboot.

I suggest that perhaps something's gone wrong on your particular system.  As with so many other users lately, myself included, perhaps an uninstall, clean up (with Avastclear), and fresh reinstall will help clear that up.

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

-Noel

Ghostbeef

« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Recently I switched from AVG to Avast on serveral computers because I did not like how AVG started to behave from update to update. Today I got two computers stuck on the "Avast emergency update", during login. Just a black screen and the normal user has to do a full reset. As an admin I can kill and restart a stuck explorer which solves the problem and also shows the avast emergency update running from "runonce".

My firewall (Comodo) will block new executables accessing the internet and ask for premission. But during login this is of course not possible because the user has not logged yet. Maybe this is related.

Why does avast use these strange and randomly named executables? What is their purpose?
With the latest program update came a critical problem on my machine which seems to be related to the process detailed in this thread. I narrowed it down to a conflict between Avast! and the Zone Alarm firewall which caused my system to crash 100% of the time before a full login... I since uninstalled that firewall and tried with Windows 8 Firewall Control (Win XP version) and the emergency update process asks permission to access internet every single time I boot up my computer because the firewall considers the file a different program at each reboot. I have no idea how to get around that and I don't even know if the new firewall allows this process to even do its job, I'll give Avastclear a try just to be sure this isn't a wierd glitch.

Edit: No dice, the program still asks for permission every time. I hope this gets fixed at some point, it's iritating.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:43:32 PM by Ghostbeef »

hake

« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
Although my experience with the functional behaviour of version 9 has been good, the random naming and frequency of emergency updates has been such a nuisance with the HIPS/firewall that I can no longer leave it in the hands of non-tech users.  It should not be that a security product undermines security.  I can achieve a settled configuration using AVG which does not confront users with bewildering surprises.

:(

Offline CFalcon

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
I have same problem with this random .exe executed from the avast update,

If i let to pass this application with my firewall then the save as option in Firefox dont work anymore, and also all the bottons from the tool/setup from firefox that need to open a Examine....

Using a restore point from Windows and reinstalling firefox saving my profiles, i get again firefox working right, but if i let to work this emergency update process from Avast again firefox fails!

Any idea about this?

Offline ky331

« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2014, 01:02:48 AM »
Here's some info on these so-called "emergency" updates... at least so far as they may pertain those still using avast 8:

The last version of avast 8 that I knowingly installed on my Win7 system was 8.0.1497, which was released on or about 2013-09-02.   It is the last fully-documented version of avast 8 released.

For quite a while, I had a RUN (as opposed to a run-ONCE) startup entry that repeatedly ran a 2013-11-21 emergency update every time I rebooted my system.   The RUN was never removed.  And that's what started this thread months ago.

Two months later, I eventually decided there was no point running it "forever", and so I manually stopped its auto-booting.

Finally today [2014-02-21], I received a new RUN-ONCE startup entry for a 2013-12-24 emergency update, which ran on the subsequent reboot.   The reboot took an exceptionally long time... perhaps while it was downloading/installing/updating the necessary files.

There was no formal indication of what was happening... but suffice it to say I now have a "newer" build of v8 --- 8.0.1504 --- on my system.   All I can determine about these newer builds is that each constitutes a "Support version for migration to AVAST 2014".   Doing a web search, I learned that apparently there have been several:

avast 8.0.1500 on 2013-10-15

avast 8.0.1501 on 2013-11-01

avast 8.0.1504 on 2013-12-19 (which I believe I only received today)

avast 8.0.1506 on 2014-01-27 (perhaps an indication of something yet to come?)

Note:   I am just reporting the facts of my experience.   Unless forced, I will upgrade to avast 2014 if and when I feel ready.   I know many people will say I should have long ago... but that's my decision... at least for the moment.   [In fact, the one time I tried, the installation refused to complete itself.]
For what it's worth, I do run avast 2014 on my Win XP system.

P.S.  I have intentionally set "Program Updates" to MANUAL... which is supposed to tell avast neither to check for program updates nor to automatically install them.   I find it ironic that so called "emergency updates" --- in this case, merely a "migratory preparation" --- can defy this setting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:14:19 AM by ky331 »
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

AndreiRC

« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »
So ... anyone care to explain what's with the avalanche of emergency updates?

I got one on Feb 21st ... one on Feb 24th (yesterday) ... and one on Feb 25th (tonight). 3 emergency updates in 5 days, that's rather big. Perhaps someone could tell us what fixes got applied with these updates.

Just as a note, I have gotten like 8 emergency updates in 2 months since I reinstalled Avast!. 2 in December, 3 in January and now 2 in February. Quite frequent ...

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »
Scott's been barking quite a bit recently at these updates!!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »
I believe there were three Files on FEB 21 that Outpost Flagged,
Oddity since that update is now my "SafeZone" doesn't load.
Page stays light Blue. ::) :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
So ... anyone care to explain what's with the avalanche of emergency updates?

I got one on Feb 21st ... one on Feb 24th (yesterday) ... and one on Feb 25th (tonight). 3 emergency updates in 5 days, that's rather big. Perhaps someone could tell us what fixes got applied with these updates.

Just as a note, I have gotten like 8 emergency updates in 2 months since I reinstalled Avast!. 2 in December, 3 in January and now 2 in February. Quite frequent ...

Would you rather have to perform a physical program update rather than using the AvastEmUpdate function for what may be a small update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AndreiRC

« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »

Would you rather have to perform a physical program update rather than using the AvastEmUpdate function for what may be a small update.

Definitely not. But I would still like to know what was fixed, since these updates are so frequent.

Also, I would like to know if I need to restart my system after each emergency update. My reboot still takes over 3 minutes and it's unpleasant to do this almost every day.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:37:21 AM by AndreiRC »