Author Topic: 'lil bit of everything  (Read 1864 times)

John Blixt

'lil bit of everything
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Hi all!  I was wondering if anybody knows weather avast runs in all browsers?  I have recently opened up Firefox again and noticed on upgrade that there is a sidebar showing me Avast information.  I can go in and customize a few options as well.  Is this between Firefox and Avast or is Firefox the only one that displays web-shields from a computer's anti-virus programs?  Also, I've been warned, in the past, not to run two anti-virus programs on the same machine.  Does this apply to programs like Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner as well?  I'm not sure as to why you would be harming your computer for running two anti-virus programs in the first place, but that's what they say.  One more for you gurus, AdwCleaner runs straight from the desktop so is it self updating as there is not an update function that I can see.  Sorry to hit you with so many questions but, this seems like a good place to find out some straightforward answers.

jb

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: 'lil bit of everything
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Also, I've been warned, in the past, not to run two anti-virus programs on the same machineDoes this apply to programs like Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner as well?  I'm not sure as to why you would be harming your computer for running two anti-virus programs in the first place,
Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner are not antivirus programs and runs fine with avast..... everyone in this forum use Malwarebytes

why you should not install muliple AV explained here
read reply from quietman7 here.   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic186533.html

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:05:01 PM by Pondus »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: 'lil bit of everything
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »
I think the OP is referring to the "avast online security".
The AOS is part of avast you can find it GUI>Settings>Antivirus

The main purpose is anti-phishing and anti-tracking function.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.