Author Topic: Buttons not functioning on web page with Avast! Free 2104  (Read 2460 times)

PortableNuke

Buttons not functioning on web page with Avast! Free 2104
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
I have encountered a problem while trying to access my online banking website whilst Avast! free 2014 was installed.

I'd upgraded the system form Windows XP to Window 7 and decide to install Avast to protect the system. Things seemed fine until I tried to access by banks website.
A number of the buttons on the web page (including Login) appeared to do nothing. I eventually managed to get logged in by forcing a refresh of the page.
I had similar problems with the Log Out button.

I was using IE 9 at the time and decided to upgrade to IE 11, but the problem persisted and only was resolved when I uninstalled Avast!
I haven't tried installing Avast! again to test with other browsers to see if it is limited to IE (I also have tried monitoring what is going on with Fiddler or debugging the web page using the browser DEV tools)

Has anyone else encountered anything like this or does anyone have any suggestions/explanations as to what might be going wrong?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Buttons not functioning on web page with Avast! Free 2104
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
XP and Windows 7 are entirely different operating systems.
You should perform a clean installation of Windows 7.

- Disconnect from the Internet (pull out the cable)
- Install windows (format the drive ofcourse)
- Install ALL drivers for your system
- Install avast
- Connect to the Internet
- Install all updates security/drivers (especially the security updates/service pack)
- Install the applications you are normally using
- Make settings/configurations changes is you want/need
- Create a image of that drive

That last one will safe you a lot of time in case you need to/want to reinstall windows again.

PortableNuke

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
Thanks, but you haven't told me anything here that I don't already know about.
I'm well aware of the differences between XP and 7 - I've been developing software professionally for over 20 years and have worked with (and installed) more versions of Windows that I care to think about!

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm interested in any thoughts folk might have regarding why the buttons on this particular site aren't functioning when Avast! is installed.
I have not done an in-depth investigation yet to see if there are other sites where the buttons don't function, and I haven't tried other browsers yet, but the fact that the problem is present when Avast! is installed and not when it is uninstalled suggests that it may be doing something with respect to the buttons or the actions they are attempting.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »
Do you have Avast online security add on enabled in your browsers ?  If so then try with it disabled.  I am unable to use this on windows 8 due to similar problems, but others have no problem

PortableNuke

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:57:50 PM »
OK, thanks for the tip EssexBoy - I'll try looking into that this evening.