Author Topic: Avast or any other is a waste.  (Read 7143 times)

mustang64

Avast or any other is a waste.
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:52:12 AM »
After much re-search if you are running anything like an OS- X... forget about it...

I am running an iMac "loaded"... and after much re-search all Avast does it slowing your computer down.

I just got rid of Avast Free and my Computer is running better since I tried it--- so there you go.. Get rid of Avast,

you don't need it on your OS X.....There is no such thing as a Virus on your OS X...
Try it and you will find that your computer will run faster...etc....
LDS

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: Avast or any other is a waste.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
I really would like to insult you right now.

Viruses exist for Apple, they always will. Avast! is an extremely leight weight program for what it can do. I have NO issues running avast! on any of my systems on both Mac and Windows whatsoever.

http://www.technewsdaily.com/18269-mac-osx-virus.html

VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »
After much re-search if you are running anything like an OS- X... forget about it...

I am running an iMac "loaded"... and after much re-search all Avast does it slowing your computer down.

I just got rid of Avast Free and my Computer is running better since I tried it--- so there you go.. Get rid of Avast,

you don't need it on your OS X.....There is no such thing as a Virus on your OS X...
Try it and you will find that your computer will run faster...etc....
LDS

Another thing to consider is. A virus and malware are two (2) different things. A VIRUS usually destroys your computer and doens't make "profit" directly likr malware can. Malware seeks to make a major profit. An example is the Bitcoin Trojan. It "mines" bitcoins for profit for the owner. The only malware/virus that is the border of both is Cryptolockers which can destroy your computer if you don't pay a ransom. Avast! or some other type of AV is needed to protect your computer. Ignorance of these facts is going to land you in Malware City.
VOLUNTEER

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »
I think there's some confusion on what malware and viruses are.

Malware is the general category of malicious software and includes viruses. Nowadays anti-viruses are actually anti-malware, and it's generally preferred to always refer to malware instead of viruses, viruses are in fact very rare.
Being 'for profit' is not part of neither definitions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Malware, short for malicious software, is software used to disrupt computer operation, gather sensitive information, or gain access to private computer systems.[1] It can appear in the form of code, scripts, active content, and other software.[2] 'Malware' is a general term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software. (...)

Malware includes computer viruses, ransomware, worms, trojan horses, rootkits, keyloggers, dialers, spyware, adware, malicious BHOs, rogue security software and other malicious programs; the majority of active malware threats are usually worms or trojans rather than viruses.

I hope that clarifies.

The most useful part of avast on the mac is actually the web protection, and actively blocking malicious sites, this is the major attack vector, and takes advantage of browser vulnerabilities still unpatched.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:53:19 PM by specimen9999 »

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
deleted by OP

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:21:38 AM by alan1998 »
VOLUNTEER

mustang64

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »
Hi Alan1998,
I wonder what sites you go to?  I think you just keep your Mac updated etc..ect...

What do you say about this video?

http://macmost.com/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »
He has false info. Malware here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

designed for Mac OS X

There is malware out there. It is needed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:48:25 AM by alan1998 »
VOLUNTEER

mustang64

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »
Hi Alan,

I will not insult you...I don't know why you are doing it to me..  I am running Windows as well and have the Paid Version on my Windows

Box, I think I really need it on there..

If you are running both on your iMac...good for you--- so of course you do need Avast as it's virus updates only apply to Windows.

Have a good day don't please don't insult people that are trying to help!
LDS

mustang64

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 01:52:44 AM »
Hi Alan,

For your info I do not run JAVA on my iMac...but I do on my Windows box and that's why I need Avast. I don't know why anyone

would need it on their iMac...  Windows I understand!
LDS

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »
Rough Times. I've made a few ignorant posts today.

I've been using Java for a while. But it still shows that Malware exists for Mac OS X.

Sorry about that post
VOLUNTEER

Offline snowflake1

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
If I may make a comment on this...consider this ...that any devise that connects with the internet can get infected and unless  it has an appropriate  protection program on it how can the owner know  if it is infected ? I suggest that the first thing you will know of the infection is when you get site redirects  or people accusing you of infecting them with  emails or it refuses to connect to the internet  because that connection has been wiped out by the infection you did not know you have .

I think others above have also said that no machine is immune from infections just because of the OS it happens to have on it .

As far as I am aware it is the Windows OS that is majorly targeted as it is the  major OS out there but that is not to say that those who wish to can and will target the other OS's  :(

Hellopeople

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »
Malware does exist on OS X, it's just that hackers or whatever, don't target OS X as much as Windows just like snowflake1 says. I just keep Avast! just in case.

Cheers,
Hello

vasitellapahki

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
Everybody should have antivirus prog installed, even if they have OS X.
It is the ignorance (or perhaps arrogance) of Mac (and Linux) users that keeps viruses in the wild.
Even if your system can not be infected, you should contribute to keeping things clean everywhere. Install now.
If you think Avast is not good, try something else. But do install antivirus.

Have OS X with Avast, have Win XP/Vista/7 with Avast, have Android with Avast.