Author Topic: Internet security firewall issue  (Read 4043 times)

muradin44

Internet security firewall issue
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
First im sorry for my bad english.
Not so far ago i reinstalled windows7, and Avast also. Now i am using Avast Internet Security 2014.9.0.2008.
New user interface is terrible, zero logic, nothing can be found easly and fast... but thats not the issue.

Firewall is blocking half of my software, it blocks even 127.0.0.1 and blocks half of internet websites., even some google's one. So it is turned off normally (cuz nobody need SUCH a protection). But also sometimes i need to turn off all the protection screens. And when i turn them on back, firewall is also turning on.
Please add option "delete firewall" or make option "turn off forever" work like it should (forever).

My previous antivirus was Kaspersky Internet Security, and their technical support just kept ignoring all the problems and removing "bad" topics on forum. Hope Avast! technical support exists not only for chatting.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Internet security firewall issue
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
How did you remove Kaspersky ?  As it does leave some firewall elements behind

Use the Kaspersky removal tool here http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/common/service.aspx?el=1464

Download Avast Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run the uninstall tool and accept the reboot to safe mode
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »
What firewall/s are you using?

muradin44

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
Kaspersky was removed half year ago, and after that windows was reinstalled and hard drives were formated. So no chance kaspersky is still here. Windows default firewall is turned off too. So I dont have any special firewall, im talking about the one that is a part of Avast! Internet Security. And the issue is that i want to totally disable( or delete ) it but it seems that there are no such option.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
To remove the firewall

Go to control panel > programs and features
Select Avast
Select Change

Remove the tick from the element to uninstall and press continue
Reboot on completion

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
First off, it's not true that simply deleting files/programs and then high level reformatting wipes the hard drive of data, it does not.  The Master File Table (MFT) is a table of contents, when one deletes files/programs, it simply deletes the entry in the MFT, not the data on the pages (cylinders, sectors, blocks), that the MFT refers to, such that those areas are merely available, if required, for new data. There is another problem.  Since these cylinders are oh so narrow, there are deviance's left and right of center, due to natural vibrations, whose position varies with each full rotation,  that some call layers, but layers are actually only to be found on dual layer optical disks, not HD's, anyway this is why the US DOD utilizes a 7 pass wipe, by writing 7 various data patterns, which is enough to account for these deviations of head centering.  So to ensure no data from a previous install is present on the disks surface, one must low level format at least 7 times, at least to be as sure as the US DOD that the drive is totally clear, then high level format, and reinstall your OS of choice, and other supporting programs. Better yet, after doing this once, create a clone (ghost) of a freshly installed OS, prior to any use, so that this procedure can be accomplished quicker, if need be. But the 7 pass low level format is required every time to be sure, no remnants are left over from previous installs.  Actually if it's not a matter of security, you can fore-go the low level format, and instead boot with a pre-install environment optical drive that has the capability of formatting HD's to another file system, like FAT 32 (note there are some partition size limitations), and simply copy data to the entire drive/partition once, I use 1 gig vob files, so as to do it quickly, then reformatting with, I assume, NTFS and going ahead with the install of the OS.  These are the most sure methods to ensure that previous installs can't "bleed" through your new install.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:45:51 PM by CitizenOfTheWorld »

muradin44

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »
Thanks, I ll try this thing on screenshot, it should help.

Mr CitizenOfTheWorld are you sure in this thing about vibration you wrote above? Even if just assume that it's true, it should have lead massive software/OS bugs of all kind. Or do you believe that vibrations effect only erasing data, and not writing it on disc, too? Then some programs can overwrite neighbour one. Or mayby have I missunderstood you?

CitizenOfTheWorld

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
Thanks, I ll try this thing on screenshot, it should help.

Mr CitizenOfTheWorld are you sure in this thing about vibration you wrote above? Even if just assume that it's true, it should have lead massive software/OS bugs of all kind. Or do you believe that vibrations effect only erasing data, and not writing it on disc, too? Then some programs can overwrite neighbour one. Or mayby have I missunderstood you?
It's not about errors, as HD's have various methods (ECC) to ensure such things are not the case.  I was speaking of ensuring that 100% of the old data was wiped, such that it could not "bleed" through to a new install.  Most think all they have to do is high level format and the data is gone, and that's not true.  Only a low level format can assure such things, unless you're not really worried about security, but rather just ensuring the old install is in fact totally gone, in which case if you boot to an OS on an optical drive, which of course is read only, without a swap file, format the HD to FAT32, (there are partition size restrictions, I keep my OS partition rather small, just enough for the OS, my swap file is in the first partition of another physical drive, for increased effective speed), so you do not have any of the hidden NTFS files, like the USN Journal, etc, leftover, then fill up the drive with useless data, I use 1 gig vob files, and smaller ones at the end, then delete all and do it again, starting with the small ones to ensure that the 4k clusters don't line up from the first to the second write, then reformat with NTFS I assume, then install the OS.  This way you are guaranteed that the old install is gone, and relatively sure of security, at least of all the non mapped out sectors, only low level formatting can deal with those, but they can't "bleed" through to an new install, if that's all you're worried about. I hope that's clearer

muradin44

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Thank you all guys.
Thing from screenshot works just fine - no more crazy firewall in my avast, feel happy!  :)
Thank you Mr Citizen for filesystems mechanisms information provided  :o.

Fast and clear. Topic may be closed!