Author Topic: Newest avast! Free and Windows Defender (Windows 7)  (Read 16923 times)

ram1220

Re: Newest avast! Free and Windows Defender (Windows 7)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 01:17:03 AM »
Well, I guess I've been told off!

Para-Noid says "WD has been known to cause conflicts." I've used it for years on XP and Win 7 with no conflicts with a variety of AVs, including avast!
As for his characterization of WD as "junk",  I disagree. His link to "bleeping computer" only emphasizes the problems when one uses 2 AVs in real-time, and does not apply to the question here, and does not support his opinion.

Para-Noid says "You are so wrong. WD has been known to cause conflict and false positives while running avast." Once again I have to ask, are we talking about the same operating system here? With Win 8, I might agree. With Win 7, I would not.

Para-Noid says "Windows Defender ... is useless."  I disagree, and challenge him  to support this with any documentation other than his own opinion. See:
http://naut.homestead.com/files/Free/castner.html

Para-Noid is wrong on this one. It is perfectly fine to use the Windows Defender that is with Win7. Since Win 8 is using a different program renamed to Windows Defender it would be wise to disable WD if running Win 8. But it is perfectly fine to leave the old WD that is used with Win 7 along with Avast. I have been doing it for years with no problems.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »
Oh hello Pam J. I misread your 1st post. Since you're running Windows XP, you install Windows Defender, and install Avast Free Edition. Avast Free Edition won't automatically disable Windows Defender. It won't cause conflicts between WD and Avast Free Edition, but from my past experience when I had Windows XP and I had AVG with Windows Defender enabled. WD is totally useless and caused many problems with it i.e. not detecting the malware that AVG detected, slow downs, and etc.

Nevertheless, it's all about the user and what they wish they want to do with having Windows Defender enabled and using it. It's all about the user and his/her discretion.

From personal and previous experience. It's best to uninstall Windows Defender, because it has poor detection rating, not enough protection tools and methods.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:33:27 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
Yep, in 7 years of running the antispware version of Window Defender, I only saw one detection, which it quarantined.  Malwarebytes Free, in that seven years, saw and detected hundreds of them.  My jaw literally dropped to the floor when I saw the warning.  Had to do a double-take to look at the warning box again as I did not even recognize it and did not know at first what it was.

The real-time protection of WD is poor because of that, and it also affected how fast certain programs would open when I initiated them. 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

joe53

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
Malwarebytes Free, in that seven years, saw and detected hundreds of them.  My jaw literally dropped to the floor when I saw the warning.   

Whoa! You must live dangerously, mchain.

I've used both MBAM Free (and Paid) and Windows Defender since their inception, and neither has detected a single thing over all those years. (I was an original beta tester of MBAM, and was given a free licence to MBAM as a result).

It is interesting how users' experiences differ. While WD never gave me any trouble running in real-time, I was never able to use MBAM (paid)  on my XP/sp3 system , because it always slowed down my system and browser to a crawl. I never did find the source of this conflict. Even with all other real-time protection programs disabled, I could not get MBAM Pro to work in real-time without serious slowdowns.

I have been impressed with how WD always detected systen changes I made over the years.

I continue to use both WD and MBAM in real-time on my Win 7 systems, without problems.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »
Nope.  I do some malware research to help all of us here w/avast! detections.  You'll not see such as I do not need to publish what I do.

WD will not even detect what Malwarebytes does even if you look for the stuff in there.  It's not designed to.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Rohugh

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »

WD will not even detect what Malwarebytes does even if you look for the stuff in there.  It's not designed to.
I have to say that I have had Windows Defender running for a long time  (even back to the days when I used MSE) and never had a problem with it conflicting with any AV program I have run in that time.  However,  I also have to say that it has never detected any problems either,  so I guess now it the time to kick it to the curb.  :)

I will just have to remember to run MBAM more frequently.  (Never mind,  bought the Pro version.  :) )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:58:52 PM by Rohugh »