Author Topic: Allow Cannon IJ Network scanner  (Read 5259 times)

chrishj

Allow Cannon IJ Network scanner
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »
Any ideas on how to allow the Cannon IJ network scanner to run when using Avast?

Avast 2014 on windows 8.1 blocks the scanner.

cooby

Re: Allow Cannon IJ Network scanner
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 02:48:21 AM »
Impossible to answer when you haven't provided any information.

1. How do you know it's Avast that makes it not "run" ? Explain what you mean by "run"
2. Which Avast product do you use
3. Which version number
4. Does it work when Avast shields are off?
5. If yes, which shield or which feature?
6. Is your problem printing or scanning?
7. Is the printer connected to the router or some sort of  a USB connection to your computer?
Added later:
8. What's your computer - 32 or 64 bit?
9. Do you try to run a scan using Canon Solutions menu or some other way?

Just FYI - printing and scanning work fine on XP 32 bit with Avast free AV, and on Windows7 64 bit, the latter is NOT under Avast control, but I might be able to tell you what a 64bit Win8 system would require.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:28:24 AM by cooby »

originalgabriel

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:44:15 AM »
Any ideas on how to allow the Cannon IJ network scanner to run when using Avast?

Avast 2014 on windows 8.1 blocks the scanner.

After much trial and error, another user with the same issue as me (IJ Network Scanner Selector EX not being installed) found that booting into a clean state and/or turning off all shields would not allow a proper install.  The only way to install the IJ Network Scanner Selector EX is to completely uninstall all the Canon software and drivers, fully uninstall Avast (use the Avast uninstaller from their website, not the Add/Remove Programs from within Windows) and then install the Canon software/drivers, check that you can scan and then reinstall Avast.

cooby

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Such drastic measures are unlikely to be needed for installation.

The post indicates trouble using it, not trouble installing.
Most likely needs correct ports, protocols and app permisions to setup.
Let's wait for some answers from chrishj. We'll go on from there.

originalgabriel

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »
That was exactly the measures I needed to take.

The drivers and software installed flawlessly and everything worked fine under Windows 8 but after upgrading to 8.1 (with a clean install) and reinstalling everything, IJ Network Scanner Selector EX would not install.  I tried installing in clean boot, I tried installing with all shields turned off, etc.  the only way it would install is if I uninstalled Avast.

Here's the thread at Canon, though it was solved in the MS support forums: http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Canon-IJ-Network-Scanner-Selector-EX-not-installing/m-p/48837