Author Topic: email and dial up problem  (Read 6583 times)

dcbel

email and dial up problem
« on: March 11, 2003, 09:13:25 AM »
I have a dial-up modem connection to connect to the internet. When I start outlook express, I first get the connection screen where I can choose my dial up connection and then connect to the internet. After the connection is established, the emails are downloaded from the server.

Since I installed avast! 4 this doesn't work anymore this way. When I start up outlook express I don't get the connection dialogbox. Immediatly the program tries to download the email. As there is no connection, I get no emails downloaded. When I look to the connection settings, they are changed. Before the installation of avast!, the setting was 'ask me to dial a connection'. Now the connection setting is changed to 'never dial a connection'. When I put the setting back to 'ask me to dial a connection' I can download the email. However, when I reboot my PC, the setting is switched back to 'never dial a connection'.

As the only change on my PC is the installation of Avast, I guess Avast! changes this setting. Is it possible to avoid that and keep my settings after reboot ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:email and dial up problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 05:35:08 PM »
Yes, this is a known problem (it only applies to Windows 9x - tou didn't write your OS, but I assume it's one of the 9x series).

A fix will be included in the next update (in fact, to activate the fix, you'll have to set something in the avast INI file) - I'll post more details on this as soon as the update is out...

Thanks and sorry for this problem,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rainman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 08:43:28 PM »
I have the exactly the same problem, WIN98 SE.
Hope it can be fixed sooon ???

dcbel

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 09:04:54 PM »
Indeed. The OS is Windows ME. So a 9x variant.

dcbel

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 08:39:21 AM »
Is the update already out for this problem ? And what do we have to fix in the ini file ?

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 03:42:25 PM »
I don't know if this is the final solution, but i had the same problem in windows 98se. I have a dutch version of outlook express, so the following names can be slightly different translated:
Open outlook express. Go to: Extra, options, connexion.
There is a message that outlook express uses the same connection as explorer. Press the button "change"(?). In my case the option "never choose a connextion" was activ. Change it to "Always choose my default connextion" and save.