Author Topic: ANy Solution to Avast Free Problems?  (Read 3516 times)

MJKSlotz

ANy Solution to Avast Free Problems?
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »
I am on the point of uninstalling Avast free for good (well, until I hear there's been a thorough solution to the current problems) which is a pity as i have told many many people to use it since I first started using it years ago (after AVG went bad).
But with this Avast 2014 it is ridiculous the amount of time I have spent trying to sort all these problems, to mention a few: can't connect to NAS, live streaming impossible, downloads stopped or corrupted, website pictures not displaying etc etc. The only way around it seems to be to keep stopping the web and file shields, which seems to defeat the object of the whole thing.
I have reinstalled it several times and I've seen posts here about all sorts of uninstalling and safe mode and emergency fixes that don't work, but all I want is a simple upgrade direct from Avast that fixes it back to the working version it used to be, so before I finally remove it, is this coming soon??

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: ANy Solution to Avast Free Problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
You can revert back to v8.0.1497 but I would NOT recommend it.

If you've tried a reinstall of v9 [as you stated], you shouldn't get corrupt downloads. Regarding the website pictures not displaying, you could try disabling the Avast Online Security plugin (AOS)?

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Avast 8.0.1497 : http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/download/0c203d8e8244458c5da81998eb76f523/

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Note : Once installed make sure you change program update TO MANUAL.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

ram1220

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
 Uninstall 2014 and reinstall version 8. Either that or use another AV.

MJKSlotz

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the help, which i have all seen before, I really just want a corrected Avast 2014, will Avast 8 be given regular signature updates? And how do you start Windows 8 in safe mode (without a lot of messing around)?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the help, which i have all seen before, I really just want a corrected Avast 2014, will Avast 8 be given regular signature updates? And how do you start Windows 8 in safe mode (without a lot of messing around)?
Yes version 8 still receives vps updates regularly, the avast removal tool will automatically reboot you into safe mode when you run it http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
Uninstall 2014 and reinstall version 8. Either that or use another AV.
Neither of your suggestions help to fix the issue.
Do you really think it's wise to recommend a loyal user to run to an inferior product.

Alikhan is on the right track...let's wait for the OP's results.

It sounds more like an AOS plug-in issue.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.