Author Topic: Web Scanner Service terminated unexpectedly  (Read 2803 times)

Totenmaske

Web Scanner Service terminated unexpectedly
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:20:07 AM »
I have noticed this happened twice on my Windows XP Pro SP2 (all latest patches installed, browser is firefox 1.0.4) 3.2Ghz 2gb of ram  with the latest Avast build of 4.6-665.  The most recent occurred just a few moments ago while I was downloading a wmv from ign.com - I received an alert that Web Scanner service had failed - and according to the event log the following error is recorded:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7034
Date:      6/7/2005
Time:      11:04:12 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   
Description:
The avast! Web Scanner service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm curious if this is a known issue with Web Scanner feature of avast.  Normally it runs fine, but these two errors concern me - I don't have any blue screens of death when this happen - computer is rather solid to be truthful, but having the Web Scanner service terminate just concerns me.

Umath

Re: Web Scanner Service terminated unexpectedly
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:47:42 AM »
You are not alone.  Although I can't exactly remember which update it was, Web Shield service began to be suddenly closed on my PC (OS=Up-to-date XP SP2).  Since I'm using it as a local proxy (localhost:12080), my downloader suddenly finds itself unable to connect to the net.

This symptom appears when I am downloading many media files (Any kind of trailers, for example...I presume Totenmaske was downloading game trailers from IGN).  IIRC, most of them are "scannable" size (20 Mb, by default) by Web Shield.  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:29:24 AM »
There's another thread about this already: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14072.0

Please send me the unpXXX files.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Umath

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:13:41 AM »
::)  I'll send ping to my brain...

Guess time to go to bed.  :P