Author Topic: Avast Free version 8.0.1497 slowed my wifi down considerably.  (Read 2122 times)

Gabe

Avast Free version 8.0.1497 slowed my wifi down considerably.
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:21 AM »
This is a new computer that I received and I didn't have any antivirus to use so I installed avast.  I had used it years ago and it worked well.  I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why this computer only had download speeds of 1.1 Mbps when my Inspiron 15 using wifi and my home built desktop using an ethernet cable would both download at about 1.7 Mbps.  The 1.1 speed was the same every single time I checked, no matter what time of day or how often.  I tried all kinds of adjustments to the wifi card and to the wireless router, but nothing worked.  I finally just figured because this computer was more like a netbook (it's an Acer Aspire V5-122P-0889) that it just didn't have the power to run the wifi as well as the other two computers.  After a while I figured this can't be the reason as the speed of the processor and such shouldn't affect the speed of the internet connection.  The only software difference was Norton in the other two.  I uninstalled avast and now my wifi speed is up to 1.7 Mbps, the same as the other two.  Perhaps there was something I could have adjusted in avast, but I didn't feel like messing with it forever.  I just decided to buy another license for the Norton.  Does anyone have any idea what it was in avast that was slowing it down?  Other than avast doing it's occasional update check, it wasn't using the internet.  My modem lights blink when there is traffic.  I read something about some cloud thing or some shield thing to shut off, but shutting off the shield would negate the live protection, right?  If I don't have live protection, what's the sense?  Anyway, again, any ideas what it could have been?   

Also, I'm not a computer hoarder that needs three computers.  The Acer was free due to the emachines floppy drive class action suit.  I buy an emachines 366i in 1999 and get a free notebook in 2013.  Strange how things sometimes work out.  I never had a problem with the floppy drive in mine anyway.  Just goes to show that it is a good thing to register new products.  You never know what might happen.   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:03:01 PM by Gabe »

SCORPIONINBLUE

Avast and windows 8
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
I don't know what the problem is with Avast and windows 8, but twice I've downloaded the free version and twice I had to remove it!  Your newest version slowed my internet use down to a crawl!  I've never seen such problems with Avast and previous versions of windows.  I didn't waste my time with the removal process thats been recommended, I did a system refresh and got it out and I have things back to normal, I just went ahead and activated windows defender and firewall.....I least I know there's no compatibility problems.